Coach Brent Key Scenario

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
It still should. Losing to a 5-6 team at home should eliminate you from contention. Clemson can take their spot.
Yeah with Playoffs even a loss to us. They still go win the SEC championship and they punch their ticket to playoffs. Listen 100% long shot for us to beat them but dont we all want to see how turned up Key gets if we do he may pull a goal post out by himself.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
This, from The Athletic, makes some good points.

Will Brent Key be Georgia Tech’s coach in 2023? – Rick M.

Go watch his postgame interview after the UNC game. If you are athletic director J Batt, see that interview, how could you choose someone else? – Michael F.

Navarro:
Our Jeff Schultz definitely made a nice case for Key with this story earlier this week. Personally, I think Key could make a very good head coach one day. But I’ve been around enough former assistants turned first-time head coaches at Miami (Randy Shannon, Manny Diaz) in the past two decades to know sometimes the best move when you’re trying to change the culture is to go outside and bring in a new coach. Key, 44, is a nice story. But you have to think of the big picture at Georgia Tech. Key isn’t in Clemson. He’s in Atlanta.

You need a coach who can handle living in a city where you aren’t even the home team everyone roots for. I was sitting in the press box at Bobby Dodd Stadium two weeks ago and could spot Georgia Bulldogs logos all over the city (from the press box!) If Georgia Tech is ever going to compete for conference titles, it needs a big personality coach who can win over his town first, and then actually put up a fight against Georgia on the recruiting trail. Key could use a little seasoning at a Group of 5 program in my mind. Learn what works and what doesn’t, and then come back and coach his alma mater. But that’s just one dumb sportswriter’s opinion.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You need a coach who can handle living in a city where you aren’t even the home team everyone roots for. I was sitting in the press box at Bobby Dodd Stadium two weeks ago and could spot Georgia Bulldogs logos all over the city (from the press box!) If Georgia Tech is ever going to compete for conference titles, it needs a big personality coach who can win over his town first, and then actually put up a fight against Georgia on the recruiting trail. Key could use a little seasoning at a Group of 5 program in my mind. Learn what works and what doesn’t, and then come back and coach his alma mater. But that’s just one dumb sportswriter’s opinion.
Nah, just win.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Key could use a little seasoning at a Group of 5 program in my mind. Learn what works and what doesn’t, and then come back and coach his alma mater. But that’s just one dumb sportswriter’s opinion.

I am a huge Brent Key fan, and if he's the hire, I will be pleased, but there is a LOT of truth to this statement. One of the things that resonated in the Chadwell article shared earlier was that his time at NGU allowed him to fail and learn from his failures. A P5 job doesn't give you those opportunities. Maybe that's the secret sauce missing from so many up and coming coaches.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am a huge Brent Key fan, and if he's the hire, I will be pleased, but there is a LOT of truth to this statement. One of the things that resonated in the Chadwell article shared earlier was that his time at NGU allowed him to fail and learn from his failures. A P5 job doesn't give you those opportunities. Maybe that's the secret sauce missing from so many up and coming coaches.

Chadwell is my #1 guy, but I'll try to defend Key here:

Key was a coach at the best college football program, if not the best sports program overall, in modern college sports. He knows what it's like working at a G5 program (UCF) and at P5 programs (GT, 'Bama). He saw upfront the all the things good coaches do for success (Saban at 'Bama, O'Leary at GT and UCF), and just as important, he saw what not to do (Collins at GT). Key also had an 8 game run to work out the kinks of being a HCF, and he didn't fall on his face. He actually performed above expectations.

Chadwell hasn't worked on the P5 level at all.

Does it merit him the GT HCF job? That's for Batt (and supposedly donors) to decide. But I wouldn't hold inexperience against him at this point.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

Key was a coach at the best college football program, if not the best sports program overall, in modern college sports. He knows what it's like working at a G5 program (UCF) and at P5 programs (GT, 'Bama). He saw upfront the all the things good coaches do for success (Saban at 'Bama, O'Leary at GT and UCF), and just as important, he saw what not to do (Collins at GT). Key also had an 8 game run to work out the kinks of being a HCF, and he didn't fall on his face. He actually performed above expectations.

Does it merit him the GT HCF job? That's for Batt (and supposedly donors) to decide. But I wouldn't hold inexperience against him at this point.
All of this was said about Collins:

“Key was a coach at the best college football program, if not the best sports program overall, in modern college sports. He knows what it's like working at a G5 program (UCF) and at P5 programs (GT, 'Bama). He saw upfront the all the things good coaches do for success (Saban at 'Bama, O'Leary at GT and UCF)”

Unfortunately, Collins didn’t learn crap from those experiences. Hopefully, Key has.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

Yep. Two different routes to the top: Meteoric vs Journeyman.

Hard to say which JBatt will choose, but I'm willing to bet he asked for PAC's opinion on the matter!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Agree with all of your points. I guess I was just saying there is a lot of value in having your first official HC gig being somewhere where you can fail without the pitchforks coming out immediately.

FWIW, you can flip a coin between Chadwell and Key as I would be happy with either.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Imo, we would be doing Key a favor to give him the gt hc job. But who can argue that he organized the staff players to get max effort in expressive win at UNC

If he plateau s in year 2 , we can politely ask him to move on.

I think he will find oc consultants and take ad ice. TFG was to smart to take advice .
Would love to see Coach Johnson helping Key.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Key could use a little seasoning at a Group of 5 program in my mind. Learn what works and what doesn’t, and then come back and coach his alma mater. But that’s just one dumb sportswriter’s opinion.

I disagree with the premise of this. That G5 schools are more patient or a better place to learn on the job than GT in 2023 would be.

Of the open G5 jobs: USF fired Charlie Strong after going 21-16 in three seasons. Then the next guy got fired after three bad seasons and they're a dumpster fire... UAB is going to not retain their 1st year 'interim' coach who's 5-6. Bill Clark raised their expectations through the roof. Charlotte fired the coach who got them their first, and only, winning season after just 3.5 seasons (the best 3 seasons in their short history).

Tech gave Collins 3.5 seasons of 3 win football before finally canning him. I'm not sure the situation/expectations at any of those three G5 schools is less of a challenge than Tech would be.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This, from The Athletic, makes some good points.

Will Brent Key be Georgia Tech’s coach in 2023? – Rick M.

Go watch his postgame interview after the UNC game. If you are athletic director J Batt, see that interview, how could you choose someone else? – Michael F.

Navarro:
Our Jeff Schultz definitely made a nice case for Key with this story earlier this week. Personally, I think Key could make a very good head coach one day. But I’ve been around enough former assistants turned first-time head coaches at Miami (Randy Shannon, Manny Diaz) in the past two decades to know sometimes the best move when you’re trying to change the culture is to go outside and bring in a new coach. Key, 44, is a nice story. But you have to think of the big picture at Georgia Tech. Key isn’t in Clemson. He’s in Atlanta.

I’m curious as to what uga logos he could see all over the city while sitting in the press box.

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
Unless he is talking about on people's cars, which I'm not sure you can see from the pressbox, or on a billboard, I'm gonna say cap.
The old Equitable building now has that digital screen facing the North Ave apartments. There’s been a large UGA “go dawgs” display on it many times I’ve driven down 85