Coach Brent Key Scenario

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh, boosters are free to do what they want. However, doesn't mean that their efforts will be well received or even considered by the next AD. The fact that we're hearing movement on the HFC front spearheaded by boosters is not only concerning, but it's the antithesis of the message Cabrera sent at the presser announcing Collins and Stansbury were fired.

Reading between the lines, it appears Cabrera named Neville the interim for a reason, and he specifically made a point to say that the next AD will be the one to run the HFC search. There's a reason why Stansbury is gone, and the #2 guy in the Athletic Department quietly left. Neville being interim AD, and not someone from within the Athletic department, is a signal that the old way (giving Donors heavier weight in making hiring decisions) isn't going to cut it this time. I think Cabrera would be stupid to not hear mega Donors out and give them a voice...given GT's financial situation, donors are an important part of our funding, but I also think Cabrera's moves are also a message to the donors: You had your chance, you picked Collins and it didn't work out, now we're going change directions letting #1 and #2 in the Athletic Department go, and we're to review how things are done in the Athletic Department and do it a different way. Sports does not wag the dog at GT.

I don't think there's any problems with vetting candidates, but that's why Cabrera paid a LOT of money to Parker Executive Search (PES). Will donors have input? Most likely because they will probably be stroking checks, but I don't think Cabrera wants a parallel search with PES and donors. That sends a wrong message to HFC candidates...Why is PES calling for GT...AND donors?!! I don't think candidates would want to step into another Auburn type situation.

It's interesting because the AJC ran a story a few weeks ago about possible AD candidates. Some on here hinted that one of the prominent candidates mentioned in the AJC write up was going to be "the guy" according to their sources...Allen Greene. Turns out, he wasn't even a candidate. I think that's great because it sounds like Cabrera and Neville are keeping things close to the vest, and staying true to their word: Parker Executive Search will be running the search for both AD and HFC, regardless how much donors want input.
When did the AA#2 leave?

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
7 total=Key
6 total w/UGA=key
5 total with competency and/or UGA = he's in the conversation and likely in.
anything less seems to be risky. I think we will all know by the end of the year, what to do. The only scenario that I can see where we won't know is a 3 or 4 win season AND beating UGA. I am confident that we will know though.
Sorry for replying to my own post, but I was thinking I said something like this. I thought it would be more clear, but it's not. I was not thinking incompetency against teams we UVA and beating 2 ranked teams to get to 5. No clue what we should do going forward. I feel like the arguments on both sides are valid.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sorry for replying to my own post, but I was thinking I said something like this. I thought it would be more clear, but it's not. I was not thinking incompetency against teams we UVA and beating 2 ranked teams to get to 5. No clue what we should do going forward. I feel like the arguments on both sides are valid.
If the Jackets stun Ugag, there's no way Key doesn't get the job. Batt should offer him a contract on the sideline at Sanford as the clock hits zero.
But that's a far bigger "if" than the 35-point spread indicates. It would be an upset for the ages.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If JBatt and Chadwell have mutual interest, then that deal is already sealed. JBatt can't wait and see what happens on Saturday because that offends Chadwell.

"We lost, so you're our guy. Welcome to Tech!" Seriously? "The girl I really wanted to take to the prom turned me down. Are you available Saturday night?"

If it's Chadwell, then J had better be all-in regardless...even if we pull off the upset. Chadwell can never feel like he was our second choice.

And btw, NO candidate should feel that way. If Chadwell already declined, then we're targeting the next guy on our list who will never know that he wasn't #1 all along.

That's why this stuff is done discreetly via a professional search firm.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
If it's Chadwell, then J had better be all-in regardless...even if we pull off the upset. Chadwell can never feel like he was our second choice.

Interesting hypothetical. Key beats the #1 team in the country and top rival, wins a majority of the games for which he serves as head coach after taking over a disaster, and likely takes us into the top 25....and we say: "Thanks, good luck at your next stop!"

Would be unprecedented, I'm sure.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Interesting hypothetical. Key beats the #1 team in the country and top rival, wins a majority of the games for which he serves as head coach after taking over a disaster, and likely takes us into the top 25....and we say: "Thanks, good luck at your next stop!"

If Key beats Georgia he’s in, no matter what. Any unofficial “deal” that’s in place with Chadwell will be torn up and we’ll tell him to kick rocks. Sure, it will burn some bridges, but no way we don’t retain Key if he wins on Saturday.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

I agree with you. But after reading hundreds of posts in this forum, I know that there is a hard-core group of fans who are so anti-TFG (understandably, mind you), that BK will NEVER get the benefit of the doubt in their minds. Oh, maybe...after a few ACC titles and some big bowl wins. Maybe.

But if the team struggles to 6-5 next year or loses a game like we did to UVA this year, they will be all over BK with a vengeance. Not sure JBatt was/is willing to risk that.

I think I'm gonna be happy with either of those two picks...for different reasons, but happy either way.

It's the possibility of a third candidate that has me feeling a little nervous and wishing that this suspense was over and done with.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think the new coach will be given a fair shake after the three + years we’ve been through. Now lose to the Sisters of the Poor and all bets are off.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think the new coach will be given a fair shake after the three + years we’ve been through.

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Laff

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If Key beats Georgia he’s in, no matter what. Any unofficial “deal” that’s in place with Chadwell will be torn up and we’ll tell him to kick rocks. Sure, it will burn some bridges, but no way we don’t retain Key if he wins on Saturday.
The only thing that would change for Key based on a win or a loss Saturday is fan support. Fan support was extremely high for him after the Pitt game, then it cooled off tremendously after the UVA game. If GT wins Saturday, fan support for him will go off the charts. However, fan support is no indication of the long term outlook of the program. In fact, if this happens, fan support will plummet immediately after the first loss next year.

If Key becomes the head coach, it should be because he has been able to get buy in from the players and how he is running the program. Batt knows those things already. I don't think anything that happens Saturday for good or for bad is going to change who will be announced as the head coach on Monday. If the outcome of the game changes his decision on a HC hire, he will be thinking more like a fan instead of like someone who is serious and responsible for the entire program.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Happened to Friedgen at Maryland. Won 10 games and got fired. AD didn't like him.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

But what happens if Key says, "Yeaaaaa...no, thanks."

He saw what happened to the last HC.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
But what happens if Key says, "Yeaaaaa...no, thanks."

He saw what happened to the last HC.
Nah... no competitor in the world says that. Especially to “his” school. He would jump at the chance to stay, get a big pay raise and resurrect the program. If it all goes to hell, he still gets paid and he’s P5 coach.
I just hope the decision is “easy” for us... Key and the boys shock the world and leave no doubt who our next coach is or this weekend is less eventful and Chadwell (or coach to be named) is all in and clearly the right guy

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
If the Jackets stun Ugag, there's no way Key doesn't get the job. Batt should offer him a contract on the sideline at Sanford as the clock hits zero.
But that's a far bigger "if" than the 35-point spread indicates. It would be an upset for the ages.

If we win Saturday, it will easily be the greatest upset in the rivalry’s history and possibly the greatest upset in our history. It would automatically go down as one of the most defining moments in Clean Old Fashion Hate and Georgia Tech football. I really do not feel like I am exaggerating. That’s how unprecedented a win Saturday would be.

Hope it happens.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If we win Saturday, it will easily be the greatest upset in the rivalry’s history and possibly the greatest upset in our history. It would automatically go down as one of the most defining moments in Clean Old Fashion Hate and Georgia Tech football. I really do not feel like I am exaggerating. That’s how unprecedented a win Saturday would be.

Hope it happens.
If we win Saturday it would literally be one of the biggest upsets in college football history. You aren’t exaggerating. If anything you’re selling it short. Since 1980 there have only been 6 teams win as bigger underdogs against the spread as we at +35.5. Add in the fact that it’s the undisputed #1 team in the nation, the defending national champs sitting at 11-0, playing at home. We have a losing record and don’t even have an official head coach.

The only game it could even be compared to when you look at the spreads is Stanford over #2 USC as 38.5 point dogs, but that was the 5th game of the year. While USC was really good at the time, they weren’t undisputed #1.

If we were still in the BCS era, a GT win would probably eliminate UGA from national championship contention. That’s how big of an upset it would be

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If we win Saturday it would literally be one of the biggest upsets in college football history. You aren’t exaggerating. If anything you’re selling it short. Since 1980 there have only been 6 teams win as bigger underdogs against the spread as we at +35.5. Add in the fact that it’s the undisputed #1 team in the nation, the defending national champs sitting at 11-0, playing at home. We have a losing record and don’t even have an official head coach.

The only game it could even be compared to when you look at the spreads is Stanford over #2 USC as 38.5 point dogs, but that was the 5th game of the year. While USC was really good at the time, they weren’t undisputed #1.

If we were still in the BCS era, a GT win would probably eliminate UGA from national championship contention. That’s how big of an upset it would be
Well, that was a very pleasant 30 seconds. Thanks for the moment.