Coach Brent Key Scenario

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not going to be a downer tonight but as great as this result is, it’s not worth a thing on its own. Enjoy it, it’s awesome, have fun. The next 7 will tell you what to make of tonight.
Agreed here - we won't win more than one or two more games if our Offense doesn't improve significantly across the board - we benefitted from three timely Pitt turnovers and they dropped multiple interceptions they should have had. In addition, we were not good in the Red Zone once again. Our D play was impressive and what won the game until the last two possessions. O credit is also deserved for that last drive as we lose otherwise.. Regardless, ya gotta celebrate the Wins when they happen and be happy for the kids! Just can't extrapolate more than 4 W's with this kind of Offensive performance...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Agreed here - we won't win more than one or two more games if our Offense doesn't improve significantly across the board - we benefitted from three timely Pitt turnovers and they dropped multiple interceptions they should have had. In addition, we were not good in the Red Zone once again. Our D play was impressive and what won the game until the last two possessions. O credit is also deserved for that last drive as we lose otherwise.. Regardless, ya gotta celebrate the Wins when they happen and be happy for the kids! Just can't extrapolate more than 4 W's with this kind of Offensive performance...
This game could have had a very different outcome if that first pass from Sims had been a pick 6. The Pitt player was in position to make the play and just flat dropped it. Got lucky on that one. Got away with one or two throws that could have been picks but thankfully were not intercepted.
I still don't understand not taking the FG late to put us up by 15 late in the fourth quarter and play calls were questionable in my mind. A fake into the line with Sims to the edge could have been a score. They were totally committed to stop an inside run and they have a good DL. We still need better TE play overall.

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
This game could have had a very different outcome if that first pass from Sims had been a pick 6. The Pitt player was in position to make the play and just flat dropped it. Got lucky on that one. Got away with one or two throws that could have been picks but thankfully were not intercepted.
I still don't understand not taking the FG late to put us up by 15 late in the fourth quarter and play calls were questionable in my mind. A fake into the line with Sims to the edge could have been a score. They were totally committed to stop an inside run and they have a good DL. We still need better TE play overall.
But the game wasn’t different. We are doing the same thing that fonts complained about with TS doing, with “being 8 points away” now just the other way. We won, we made plays. They lost, they didn’t make plays.

We found a way to win 5 days after firing our coach. Can we be happy for this week? We earned it.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I think going for it there was a matter of what CBK said in his first press conference. Playing to win vs playing not to lose. He showed the players he believed they could get it or the defense could get the stop. IMHO, that attitude shift is how Tech found a way to win, ugly as it was. Isn't it nice to have hypotheticals about how we could've lost a close game, instead of how we could've won?

JacketFan137

Banned
But the game wasn’t different. We are doing the same thing that fonts complained about with TS doing, with “being 8 points away” now just the other way. We won, we made plays. They lost, they didn’t make plays.

We found a way to win 5 days after firing our coach. Can we be happy for this week? We earned it.
should not come as a surprise. people on here have been excessively negative forever

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldnt rule out Key. Our interim AD referenced Tennessee as a school that turned things arounf quickly. Heupel was not a splash hire and was viewed as underwhelming by media and fans. Look at them now. If Key gets us to a bowl (that means 5-3 or 4-4 down the stretch in all ACC/uGA play, we continue to play clean, and the team,recruits, and fans rally around him, I say give him the job.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I wouldnt rule out Key. Our interim AD referenced Tennessee as a school that turned things arounf quickly. Heupel was not a splash hire and was viewed as underwhelming by media and fans. Look at them now. If Key gets us to a bowl (that means 5-3 or 4-4 down the stretch in all ACC/uGA play, we continue to play clean, and the team,recruits, and fans rally around him, I say give him the job.
I know he only coached one game, but that was a DAMN fine audition in his first game as HC.

I’ve been critical of his o line performance, but given all the nuggets about how C****** was running things, not sure key was a big issue.

Our boys played hard last night. Not once did I feel like we were going to lose. Hell of a job and a hell of a win.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
We looked much better prepared and the coaching during the game was really good. No head scratching decisions. If he turns it around then yes he should get a shot not just an interview. Smart use of time outs as well yesterday
Nice to see clock management and wise use of timeouts.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been critical of his o line performance, but given all the nuggets about how C****** was running things, not sure key was a big issue.
OL still looked young. Sims ran a lot because he had to, but also seemed to play more cohesively (gold colored glasses view)
I hope this is a growth game for this unit.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Here’s a question I don’t think I’ve seen anyone ask on this thread yet. And after everyone seems pleased with CBK’s press conference it’s worth a discussion.

What does CBK have to do the rest of the year to even get a second look at retaining the HC job on permanent status? Is there a certain number of wins, or boxes he can check for GT to let him keep the job? With 8 games left he has to go 5-3 (or 5-2 against everybody not named UGA) to make a bowl game. That would almost double CGCs career high for single season wins in only 3/4 of a season. Would CBK making a bowl game warrant a second look at keeping him as HC?

What if he goes 3-5? He would match CGCs standard is 3/4 of a season amid a ton of turmoil within the program. That would be a pretty admirable effort. Enough to keep him around? I don’t know.

I think everyone has been pretty disappointed with CBKs OL recruiting and on field play since he’s been here. But if the rumors about Collins over stepping his boundaries, and his practice style not being conducive to development, what if Key really isn’t the one the blame there? Not saying that’s the case, but just, what if?

I think it’s an interesting question that hasn’t really been discussed yet. To me it would be really hard to let a hometown boy go who just led you to a bowl game for the first time in 4 years, after replacing the worst coach in school history mid-season.

What do you guys think?
Your thoughts parallel a lot of what I was thinking about CBK. Could be the difference between a HC that is focused on having the players do their job rather than be part of a show.

Time will tell of course but is the first Sunday morning in a long time I’ve gotten up looking forward to reading the reviews.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think going for it there was a matter of what CBK said in his first press conference. Playing to win vs playing not to lose. He showed the players he believed they could get it or the defense could get the stop. IMHO, that attitude shift is how Tech found a way to win, ugly as it was. Isn't it nice to have hypotheticals about how we could've lost a close game, instead of how we could've won?
Also CBK was smart earlier in the game to take the three points instead of going for it on fourth and short like we would have done earlier in the season. That paid dividends later.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no issues with going for it on 4th and 1. I wasn't wild about the play call but no issue with trying to get a TD. I would say most coaches would have gone for it. Worse case is you leave Pitt a 99 yard field. Obviously having them score a little slower would be nice. But being aggressive and going for a win is okay by me.