Closing the deal . . .

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
... how do we develop that trait? I was watching the Falcon game yesterday and was struck with how similar they are to the Yellow Jackets. They just can not close the deal when the game is on the line. Good teams know how to get that done and other teams, well they end up with a lot of losses. This trait seems to be one that you either have it or you don't. As a matter of fact if you don't have it, it seems you continually find ways to lose the close games. In other words it is magnified or comes in greater abundance as a trait. If you know how to pull out the close games you do it continually and develop a culture of being able to do it. Conversely, if you don't have it, it seems you invent ways to lose and will surely get beat when the game is on the line.

I wish I knew the secret to developing the ability to close the deal. If I did, I would bottle it up and have every Yellow Jacket take a swig every day. I'm hopeful that over the course of the next several weeks we can discover that secret.

Go Jackets!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
... how do we develop that trait? I was watching the Falcon game yesterday and was struck with how similar they are to the Yellow Jackets. They just can not close the deal when the game is on the line. Good teams know how to get that done and other teams, well they end up with a lot of losses. This trait seems to be one that you either have it or you don't. As a matter of fact if you don't have it, it seems you continually find ways to lose the close games. In other words it is magnified or comes in greater abundance as a trait. If you know how to pull out the close games you do it continually and develop a culture of being able to do it. Conversely, if you don't have it, it seems you invent ways to lose and will surely get beat when the game is on the line.

I wish I knew the secret to developing the ability to close the deal. If I did, I would bottle it up and have every Yellow Jacket take a swig every day. I'm hopeful that over the course of the next several weeks we can discover that secret.

Go Jackets!

It’s hard to say as an observer but it appears that many of our teams over the last decade or so lack a little confidence. This seems most apparent when we play UGA. During a few seasons, I felt like we had a better squad than them but we would play tentatively; playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

I may be way off the mark but that is something I’ve felt over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
It seems like overthinking to me.
If you play like you're down a touchdown with 4 minutes left the whole game, you'll be fine. Just do a normal drive. Dont have to milk the clock too much. 1st downs mean more than anything. Heck if you score and your up 2 touchdowns with 3 minutes left then oh well. Play defense and say sure try and get 14 points in 3 minutes on us. But both teams, jackets and falcons get scared and try and drain a clock and then settle. Leaving it up to a defense that isn't lock down.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
The problem with they Falcons is a defense decimated with injuries and the problem with GT is talent on the defense. Comparing the Falcons and GT's defensive problems is like comparing apples and oranges.....................................just sayin';)

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
The problem with they Falcons is a defense decimated with injuries and the problem with GT is talent on the defense. Comparing the Falcons and GT's defensive problems is like comparing apples and oranges.....................................just sayin';)

Right, but managing the game isn't. It's crazy how poorly it can be managed.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
football is so tough because to close the deal you need all 22 to do it. One miss and the whole thing is a miss. To get that type of mentality on a whole team is more than just saying go grab a killer instinct. There is a discipline the falcons do not have at all you need to close deals. Penalties. Missed INTs. Gaps in concentration. All those prohibit you from closing the deal. Sound familiar?

There is an execution component to closing the deal that goes overlooked. Its the same lack of execution you see all game, but its magnified in the end because your chances run out or there is only once chance left.

Take for example the falcons. The whole game they couldn't stop the bengals except one little stretch in the third. The bengals had their way if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. And simply, the final drive, when it mattered they had their way again. Its less about the falcons closing the deal, and more about really thats who they were the whole game.

Tech is the exact same. The reality is, the whole game vs pitt we sucked. USF had their way. We do what we do every game during the game at the end. Fumble. Penalties. Blown Assignments.

Closing the deal has to start with better execution. Then, you need all 22 on board with a focus to make sure your execution is good, and you don't over think or over play. For me the mental side of execution is the problem we have. We really have NOT been man handled yet. Even clemson, while better, we could have made that much more of a game. Its bad coaching. Which equals bad execution. Its bad thinking which equals bad execution. Its repetition of bad habits as a player which have not been worked out.

You want to close the deal. Execute well. Do the basics well. Think well. We do none. Nor do the falcons.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan

Go Jackets!

I was watching the same thing. Unfortunately, I think the bottom line is, PLAYERS. Think about the Falcons… Last year the Falcons were a top 5-10 defense in the NFL. This year they have lost 3 pro bowl caliber players and a couple of role players. They still have PROFESSIONAL players to replace them with, But, when you lose that many REALLY GOOD players you can go from a top defense to a bottom tier defense.

Georgia Tech is no different. If you saw the telecast Saturday, CNW was so mad and frustrated, he was about to explode.

I think scheme wise he has a good system and with good players it will be a good defense, unfortunately I just don’t think we currently have REALLY GOOD players right now.

I honestly think that our defense gives it EVERYTHING that they have. They just aren’t that good. That’s why it’s so frustrating.

Be honest, how many of our defensive players could start for team like Clemson? I love TECH as much or more than anyone, but I honestly don’t think we have one.

We have to find a way to recruit better players on defense…… PERIOD

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I was watching the same thing. Unfortunately, I think the bottom line is, PLAYERS. Think about the Falcons… Last year the Falcons were a top 5-10 defense in the NFL. This year they have lost 3 pro bowl caliber players and a couple of role players. They still have PROFESSIONAL players to replace them with, But, when you lose that many REALLY GOOD players you can go from a top defense to a bottom tier defense.

Georgia Tech is no different. If you saw the telecast Saturday, CNW was so mad and frustrated, he was about to explode.

I think scheme wise he has a good system and with good players it will be a good defense, unfortunately I just don’t think we currently have REALLY GOOD players right now.

I honestly think that our defense gives it EVERYTHING that they have. They just aren’t that good. That’s why it’s so frustrating.

Be honest, how many of our defensive players could start for team like Clemson? I love TECH as much or more than anyone, but I honestly don’t think we have one.

We have to find a way to recruit better players on defense…… PERIOD

For one thing I really doubt his head was about to explode because we don't have REALLY GOOD players. I think we do have some really good players. There were too many missed assignments was why he was upset. He should have been upset. That is how we get better.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
The Falcons actually have a TON close wins. This year they have been hurt with injuries. Last week they were missing 4 defensive starters, the top 2 tacklers (LB and S), a veteran DT and the best pass rusher, not much you can do with that. Imo sometimes it’s just the luck of the bounce, at other times you might not be good enough.

Deleted member 2897

I want to know why way back when, who made up the rule that said you can't compare apples and oranges. Did Moses come down off Mt. Sinai after bombing Pearl Harbor and state it was the 11th commandment or something?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I do think, back to the original topic, that a lot has to do with working a process and trusting it will get you where you need to go. It is the idea of working a system as opposed to for a specific outcome. When you focus on the outcome you play tight or scared or nervous, when you focus on executing the process you are freed from the pressure of results and often times see better returns when it is all said and done.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
For one thing I really doubt his head was about to explode because we don't have REALLY GOOD players. I think we do have some really good players. There were too many missed assignments was why he was upset. He should have been upset. That is how we get better.

Maybe we just have a different opinion of what really good and good players are. I want them to be good on defense too. I love every kid that decides to come to Georgia Tech, but in my opinion we truly don't have many good to really good players on defense. IMO REALLY GOOD players get drafted to the NFL. I don't think we have a starter on our current starting defense that gets drafted.
GOOD players get free agent invites, We may have 1 or 2 of those. That's why I say we need better players.

There is a reason we are giving up 36ppg to D1 competition this year and 28 last year with basically the same front 6-7.

As an example this is Clemson compared to us coming in to college - Names are not Necessary

DE /4 Star/ 115 National 3 Star /536 National/ DE
DT /5 star /24 National 3 Star /N/A National/ NT
DT /5 star /2 National 3 Star /110 National /DE
DE /4 Star /200 National 3 Star /558 National /JACK
SLB /3 Star /451 National 3 Star /803 National /ILB
MLB /4 star /58 National 3 Star /N/A National /ILB
WLB /3 star /593 National 3 Star /N/A National /STGR
CB /4 Star /55 National 3 Star /558 National /CB
SS /3 Star /Not Rated 3 Star /N/A National /SS
FS /3 Star /706 National 0 Star /N/A National /FS
CB /4 STAR /63 National 3 Star /423 National /CB

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
IMO T Carpenter and St A are far and away our best players on D. TC is a Soph with only 4 games experience (not counting STs). If we had a half dozen + D players to argue about who is best we would have a decent D.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we just have a different opinion of what really good and good players are. I want them to be good on defense too. I love every kid that decides to come to Georgia Tech, but in my opinion we truly don't have many good to really good players on defense. IMO REALLY GOOD players get drafted to the NFL. I don't think we have a starter on our current starting defense that gets drafted.
GOOD players get free agent invites, We may have 1 or 2 of those. That's why I say we need better players.

There is a reason we are giving up 36ppg to D1 competition this year and 28 last year with basically the same front 6-7.

As an example this is Clemson compared to us coming in to college - Names are not Necessary

DE /4 Star/ 115 National 3 Star /536 National/ DE
DT /5 star /24 National 3 Star /N/A National/ NT
DT /5 star /2 National 3 Star /110 National /DE
DE /4 Star /200 National 3 Star /558 National /JACK
SLB /3 Star /451 National 3 Star /803 National /ILB
MLB /4 star /58 National 3 Star /N/A National /ILB
WLB /3 star /593 National 3 Star /N/A National /STGR
CB /4 Star /55 National 3 Star /558 National /CB
SS /3 Star /Not Rated 3 Star /N/A National /SS
FS /3 Star /706 National 0 Star /N/A National /FS
CB /4 STAR /63 National 3 Star /423 National /CB

So that is why his head was about to explode? Because he was upset that Clemson has better players while he was playing BG? You think it had nothing to do with the missed assignments?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
IMO T Carpenter and St A are far and away our best players on D. TC is a Soph with only 4 games experience (not counting STs). If we had a half dozen + D players to argue about who is best we would have a decent D.

They seem to much better at seeing the play develop.

Mills had the ability to head into a tackle at just the right angle for max gain =in Ireland the true freshman makes winning td on final play.

We dont have enough chicken in our chicken soup so they need to practice more.

Problem is the guys that need practice at game speed don't get to untill it's in the game!.

I again say imo we should load up the box.

We should often rush 5 , sometimes 4 or 6 and on occasion 3 or 8.

Usually we should have aggressive coverage but some times be very conservative.

The longer the play goes the less likely our lessor athletes will prevail. Get the ball back to the offense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The Falcons lost 3 defensive starters, which includes two pro bowlers. That’s a loss in talent and cohesion. Not to mention questionable coaching, poor execution, and a lack of discipline and that’s a recipe for failure.

GT it starts at the top and works all the way down.