Clock Management

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I have seen this in a few Georgia Tech games this year, and noticed it around the country as well. Nobody is draining the clock in critical situations.

Against North Carolina... tie game. 8:00 left. Snapped with 10 seconds left on first and second down, 8 seconds left on 3rd down... 9 seconds left on 3rd and 7... 14 seconds left on the following 4th down play.. 10 seconds left the immediate play with 3:41 to go.. 6 seconds left on the TD play.

So UNC has 3:00 minutes left to score and tie the game.... But it could have easily been under 2 minutes or better if they weren't snapping with 9-14 seconds left in that situation.

There is a big difference between getting the ball back with 3 minutes and 1 minute.

OU did this against Oklahoma State this weekend too... Saw it in a few other "crunch" situations that teams just seem to be running their offense and not intentionally killing the clock.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I have seen this in a few Georgia Tech games this year, and noticed it around the country as well. Nobody is draining the clock in critical situations.

Against North Carolina... tie game. 8:00 left. Snapped with 10 seconds left on first and second down, 8 seconds left on 3rd down... 9 seconds left on 3rd and 7... 14 seconds left on the following 4th down play.. 10 seconds left the immediate play with 3:41 to go.. 6 seconds left on the TD play.

So UNC has 3:00 minutes left to score and tie the game.... But it could have easily been under 2 minutes or better if they weren't snapping with 9-14 seconds left in that situation.

There is a big difference between getting the ball back with 3 minutes and 1 minute.

OU did this against Oklahoma State this weekend too... Saw it in a few other "crunch" situations that teams just seem to be running their offense and not intentionally killing the clock.
I think it may have to do with having to read the defense and make a change at the line. You have to allow yourself a few extra seconds for that possibility. I thought we did a better job of that though on our last drive against UM.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
In my mind, this is more about not rattling your offense and letting tension creep in during important moments.. Remember the kids are out there waiting in anticipation of the play, some stuck in awkward positions to hold still (like the line waiting to blow off the ball). We also have a lot of plays which take some time between start of play and snap (with presnap motion) so I think it can be more challenging for us to wait till the last second.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Clock management by draining a few more seconds before each snap also sends a subtle message to your team that you don't trust them to execute the play properly. By maintaining the same pace for running plays throughout the game, absent a two minute hurry up drive, it instills in your offensive players that the Coaching staff trusts them to "Execute" the plays being called and maintains the constant pressure on the defense. The triple option stresses a defense for the entire game and keeps them on their heels.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Clock management by draining a few more seconds before each snap also sends a subtle message to your team that you don't trust them to execute the play properly. By maintaining the same pace for running plays throughout the game, absent a two minute hurry up drive, it instills in your offensive players that the Coaching staff trusts them to "Execute" the plays being called and maintains the constant pressure on the defense. The triple option stresses a defense for the entire game and keeps them on their heels.

I was thinking the opposite.... Snapping at 2 seconds instead of 14 seconds would tell me I have faith in them to execute the play. Now, it tells me I don't have confidence in my defense to get a stop, but I am limiting my own possessions by draining the clock, which makes the play they are running more crucial, which sends a message that I trust them more.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Regardless, I think GT does a WAY better job of clock management than any other team in FBS. It's so hard to watch other teams squander games because the coach is not paying attn or the offense doesn't know how to bleed the clock.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with Katlong - for all of the reservations about CPJ (O-system/Defense?/ST?) which have been bantered endlessly - I think he is exceptional at game/clock mgt. In all of the game situations, I always feel like - "yes - that T/O (or clock bleed) makes complete sense and many times after the fact. I was so caught up in the game and realize he is IN CHARGE.

Wreckaholic

Georgia Tech Fan
We can generally bleed clock pretty well without getting out of our comfort zone or doing anything different regarding timing.

Where we struggle is trying to score with little time left- ex 2 min drill. The problem isnt that we cant. CPJ has said he can run hurry up (anytime, not just 2 min scenarios) but chooses not to because that would put added pressure on a generally thin defense. The problem is that we are not very good in those situation at getting out of bounds, or snapping very early in the play clock. In a 2 minute drill I'd like us to run no huddle with automatic 3O with one counter and 1 pass. QB audibles the play direction and any change in play at los.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
If CNW could keep improving the defense, it would really mess with some of the opposing Defense and their Coordinators to throw in a drive or two with hurry up/up-tempo

etbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Should you really be bleeding the clock if YOU need to score in order to win? What if you bleed so much you find yourself crunched for time and you haven't produced the winning score yet? Seems especially critical to a running offense.

Wreckaholic

Georgia Tech Fan
Agree MBM. We dont have to wait until Woody improves the defense, and dont really have to run hurry up. Just a no -huddle to keep opposing Ds from substituting. This could be advantageous against UVA which is already thin on DL.