clip boards

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
how about we start giving select players clip boards and assigments to complete during games with the hopes that it cuts down in the lack of focus some players seem to have during the games. laughing joking etc instead of being focused? back up qb's are often given various responsibilities during games for this very reason.

each position coach could crituque these notes during film sessions on the following monday.

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
It’s frustrating as a fan especially when they are losing to see them laughing and talking on the sidelines. In reality, these are kids playing a game on Saturday. Some are most likely not getting on the field. I will continue to yell at them to keep their heads in the game from my couch, but I don’t expect anything to change. I dressed for two games (WF and GB in 1998/99 as a walk-on) and I was one of those kids laughing and cutting up.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Is this "lack of focus" something coaches have said or just you not wanting SA's to have fun during a game?

i guess your definition of fun differs from mine.

if im one of many players who have suffered through many obstacles and given blood sweat and tears over many years and see one of my team mates laughing and jiving while im getting the snot beat out of me... id not be a happy camper.

my definition of 'fun' is when all involved are having a good time. evidently its different than yours. if you want to have fun on the sidelines than do it at the appropriate time. having a good time when your getting beat 21-3 is not the appropriate time imo.

btw...a few years ago paul johnson remarked about the exact same thing.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well... before we paint with a really broad brush and accuse players of not taking things seriously, I observed (on TV) some of what you describe late in 1st half of WF game. At first, I thought exactly same thing about focus ... UNTIL ... I realized it was our holder talking to our FG kicker. We were driving for a (potentially) key FG to end the half. I decided to give those 2 the benefit of the doubt & saw it as trying to stay "loose" for the likely kick. King made the FG & we did win the game.

That is the only such "laughing" I've observed. But all I'm getting are snap shots during TV coverage... hardly enough to make a judgement one way or the other.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Is this "lack of focus" something coaches have said or just you not wanting SA's to have fun during a game?

I believe early in the season CPJ made a reference to this. He called it "lack of energy" but what he went on to describe is what the OP describes. Don't remember if it was vs. JSU or someone else.