Clemson

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson is a good team in a down draft. Here's the ACC series they've played (most recent first)

0-3 to Duke @ Clemson!
0-3 @ FSU.

2-1 over L'Ville.
3-0 @ VT.
2-1 @ BC.

1-2 to ND @ Clemson!
3-0 over UNC @ Clemson.

With a 41 rpi after all those recent losses, you know the story. They started off highly ranked; as high as 19 and backed it up by beating L'Ville and UNC. They have the talent which is why they have spent 8 of 11 weeks in the top 25 by the Coaches poll.

Do we get the good Clemson or the bad Clemson? No one knows. I guess we win this series 2-1; that's what we seem to do. Nolan Ryan has us sweeping; two close 1 run games and one we win easily. I don't think so, I think Clemson breaks out in a game because it's baseball and they will get some fortunate hits.

But we need to win with X on Friday PLEASE!!! This losing the first to pull out the series the next two days is a Houdini act that statistically can't continue (nor can our sanity). And it isn't that X is all that bad, more we don't score runs. His 4.05 ERA is because he throws hittable strikes and the other team is good at running up his pitch count waiting for that hittable pitch. Having given up 6 HRs in 204 AB, he is hit the hardest of our weekend starters. (Maybe we don't score as much on Friday since the other team's ace is on Friday? But we've taken down a lot of aces this year. So go figure.)

I expect X, CT and Hurter. Having 3 days till Friday and being at home, I think all of our bullpen will be as ready as they can be. With our plate approach, good D, and ability to bounce back, it's hard not to be optimistic.

Deleted member 2897

Clemson is a good team in a down draft. Here's the ACC series they've played (most recent first)

0-3 to Duke @ Clemson!
0-3 @ FSU.

2-1 over L'Ville.
3-0 @ VT.
2-1 @ BC.

1-2 to ND @ Clemson!
3-0 over UNC @ Clemson.

With a 41 rpi after all those recent losses, you know the story. They started off highly ranked; as high as 19 and backed it up by beating L'Ville and UNC. They have the talent which is why they have spent 8 of 11 weeks in the top 25 by the Coaches poll.

Do we get the good Clemson or the bad Clemson? No one knows. I guess we win this series 2-1; that's what we seem to do. Nolan Ryan has us sweeping; two close 1 run games and one we win easily. I don't think so, I think Clemson breaks out in a game because it's baseball and they will get some fortunate hits.

But we need to win with X on Friday PLEASE!!! This losing the first to pull out the series the next two days is a Houdini act that statistically can't continue (nor can our sanity). And it isn't that X is all that bad, more we don't score runs. His 4.05 ERA is because he throws hittable strikes and the other team is good at running up his pitch count waiting for that hittable pitch. Having given up 6 HRs in 204 AB, he is hit the hardest of our weekend starters. (Maybe we don't score as much on Friday since the other team's ace is on Friday? But we've taken down a lot of aces this year. So go figure.)

I expect X, CT and Hurter. Having 3 days till Friday and being at home, I think all of our bullpen will be as ready as they can be. With our plate approach, good D, and ability to bounce back, it's hard not to be optimistic.

Agree. While we could have won game 1 with any luck last week, we could have even more easily lost game 3. We CANT keep losing game 1.

The good news is after beating Georgia that we can go 1-2 against Clemson and not lose ground now in the polls. But going 2-1 will really start to solidify hosting in the post season.

Clemson and Duke are GOOD. We could pretty easily lose 4 games to them without even playing badly. We need to approach the first game with a sense of urgency. 6 series now we’ve lost game 1 in ACC play. No more!

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Weird scheduling for Clemson late in the season here. They just dropped their 8th game in a row in a matchup with Winthrop at home. And for some reason have another home game tonight against Tennessee Tech. That only gives them one day off before our series. Could be some tired bullpen arms. On a team that’s giving up 7.75 runs/game during this losing streak.

Deleted member 2897

Since the stupid idiot dwags couldn't figure it out, here one more time is the scouting report for how to pitch to Kyle McCann:
oU3PftZ.png

And if you don't pay attention, here is what happens:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what to think/feel heading into this series? Clemson did break their losing streak last night.

I just can't imagine them being swept 3 weekends in a row. On the other hand, as good as we've been... a sweep (or 2) can't be so crazy either.

Clemson has to be desperate ...or broken? Can Tech take advantage of either?

Tech has to be confident after Tuesday's win... but does that translate to 3 solid games in all phases OR is there a letdown?

We are entering the time of the season (no matter the sport) when the elite teams begin to "feel it"... everyone steps up their game & the details are all covered. For me... the way the UGA win played out with early success, then a push from UGA, our middle relief HAD to perform (& did)... then a SAVE situation that went "uneventfully"... ALL that gave me hope that this final 1/4 of the season may show that next-level type stuff.

Then again... maybe Lucy is gripping the ball.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
This is my cliff note version of what CDH said about Hurter on Tues.....

...not necessarily going to miss a weekend start. Forearm tightness. Has thrown. Says it doesn't hurt. Evaluation(s) continue.

It's not unusual for forearm tightness to be a precursor to TJS even if it goes away. It's probably wiser to assume he's gone for a while until he proves otherwise. Anything else we get from him is gravy imo.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It's not unusual for forearm tightness to be a precursor to TJS even if it goes away. It's probably wiser to assume he's gone for a while until he proves otherwise. Anything else we get from him is gravy imo.
He is the key to the rest of our season, imho. A starter like him makes advancing MUCH more feasible. Without him, our #3 starter becomes a pitcher who will force us to win games by scoring 11 runs...

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Losing Hurter will definitely hurt, anytime that a player goes down it hurts. I dont necessarily agree with your theory of having to score 11 though. I think Willingham has shown that he is capable when he is on , Roedig has done the same thing , and Hughes could also step up. Pitching depth was the preseason strength of the club , and those guys may just prove that. No pitcher has his stuff every time out, even our top 3 have all had days when they were roughed up a bit, It is just more noticeable when it happens to a 4th or 5th guy. I am an old pitcher myself and know how hard it is to go out there and get these guys out, so i tend to look for the positive side of things in pitchers. Wishing the best for Brant, and hope he is able to go, if not, I have full confidence in the other guys. GO JACKETS!

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Has anyone heard the latest on Hurter's injury? Hope he is healthy for Clemson.

@GTBaseball starting pitcher Brant Hurter left the game with forearm tightness this past weekend. #Jackets say he’s questionable for this weekend. He’s playing catch this week, but Danny Hall won’t force it if he’s not ready to roll. #ACC

— Kendall Rogers (@KendallRogers) April 25, 2019

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Random stuff
- Curry has not started a game at home in a month (ND series). Need Curry to start things off right tonight.
- In Wiley's podcast (can't find link), CDH interview... he said a couple of times (referring to where team is) "We haven't accomplished anything, yet" ... I sure hope the team has this mentality.
- From same interview ... once again, credits Ramsey for use of analytics to help each player understand their strengths (& weaknesses) at plate.
- Game notes show normal weekend starters: Curry, Thomas, Hurter
- Last post on Fire Hall thread was on 4/7. [That isn't a challenge]

https://ramblinwreck.com/no-11-tech-begins-homestand-with-clemson/

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Just. Win. Tonight. X!

We already know that we are going to lose and win in the Spring game. No drama there.

Line up has Webb at 3rd :), English DH, Guldberg at 1st and rest standard.

I like English DH since it gives him more flexibility to warm up in relief.

Clemson pitcher (Davis Sharpe) has a 2.48 ERA and 1.05 WHIP. X has a 4.05 ERA and 1.28 WHIP.

Buckle up (and drink up).

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@GTNavyNuke ... you weren't watching Tues (correct me if I'm wrong). UGA guy on 1st. 0 outs. High pop to Webb.... 95% of 12 year olds catch this ball. Webb drops it. Goes down as a FC 5-4. 1 out. Not an error...no harm (except trading faster runner at 1st). He's had a bit of fortune defensively with official scorers & stuff like that. 3B is still a defensive liability imo.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GTNavyNuke ... you weren't watching Tues (correct me if I'm wrong). UGA guy on 1st. 0 outs. High pop to Webb.... 95% of 12 year olds catch this ball. Webb drops it. Goes down as a FC 5-4. 1 out. Not an error...no harm (except trading faster runner at 1st. He's had a bit of fortune defensively with official scorers & stuff like that. 3B is still a defensive liability imo.

Thanks. I didn't know that. I wish I had remained blissfully ignorant.

I still stand by my assertion that I like the guy with 2 errors and 44 assists versus one with 12 errors in 45 assists. The other guy caused an English error with what was described as a 4 seam fastball with a lot of sink by Jim Poole. It all works out in the end.

Webb will be fine at 3rd or I'll be eating crow (or some other disgusting animal).

I think I better go to chat before I say something on the record I'll regret.

Deleted member 2897

28 pitches for Clemson in B1. 2 runs for us on 0 hits, LOLOLOLOLOL. Let’s go!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Problem is...no hits.

That is not a good sign.

X is NOT a shut down pitcher at home....he is a power pitcher and if someone can meet his pitch they can hit it deep/ In big parks, he's fine, but at home, not so much.