Clemson Postgame

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
A ) the talent is not there, our talent level is closer to Virginia than it is to Clemson
B) your argument holds no water. You thought we were going to drive 98 yards after the interception to score and close the half 14-7 ? Not sure what you were drinking when you posted this but I would like some to help me get through next weeks *** whipping that we are going to receive from St. Mark and the U
He had blockers in front. The only player that could have stopped him would’ve probably just been Watson. There is no reason this year should be any different than others. Miami is a good team with a really good QB. We’ve beaten them before and we can beat them again. We played like crap against a team that was in the National Championship game last year returning pretty much their entire O and all of a sudden every on here thinks we suck and we’ll be lucky to be 6-6. I pray our players don’t have the same **** attitude most of you all have because we will be lucky to be 6-6 if they do.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Agreed that we are feeling a little different without that wild swing at the end of the first half. Still probably get beat 17-7 or 24-14 or so, but it would look better on the box score. I haven't seen us so snakebit in a game since VT '12.
Yeah, that was definitely a 9 point swing (optimistically). At least 2 points depending on if we could move the ball to run the clock out at half time.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Again this is a type of game where our limited offense hurts us. We just have to accept the fact when a defense has our number, we get beat. If Lance takes a knee or doesn't fumble the interception, we have a closer game. Our defense played not to give up the big play and Clemson took their time and was fine with short passes and drove down the field. Take those 9 points of the board from the end of the first half and it looks more respectable. Plus, Clemson is just a damm good football team.

Simple as that, Clemson is an elite football team. Accept it and move on, but I know one thing they better find a way fast to score on more than 26 points next or it will be ugly

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
How does anyone think Dabo "took it easy" in the second half? Other than letting the playclock run down, the playcalling stayed aggressive and downfield.

Honestly, I think that's a manifestation of what I've always said about them. Their offense isn't as dynamic as people say it is. It's all about players, not play calls. Throw the ball to the flats, receiver makes a guy miss, runs 45 yards. On paper it looks like a 45 yard pass but it was really just a guy making a play in space.

In the 2nd half we played well on D so those same passes to the flats went for moderate gains or were incomplete.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
He had blockers in front. The only player that could have stopped him would’ve probably just been Watson. There is no reason this year should be any different than others. Miami is a good team with a really good QB. We’ve beaten them before and we can beat them again. We played like crap against a team that was in the National Championship game last year returning pretty much their entire O and all of a sudden every on here thinks we suck and we’ll be lucky to be 6-6. I pray our players don’t have the same **** attitude most of you all have because we will be lucky to be 6-6 if they do.
I would love to see us bounce back an beat Miami. A humbling experience like last night might make us better. Who knows...

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
You guys complaining that "this team played for a national championship last year" do realize that Clemson lost EIGHT players on defense from that team and still held us to 124 total yards, right? They lost 2 defensive ends taken in the first round and still were able to dominate our offense.

A good number of those players were freshmen and sophomores so they'll be the same guys we have to go against next year as well.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You guys complaining that "this team played for a national championship last year" do realize that Clemson lost EIGHT players on defense from that team and still held us to 124 total yards, right? They lost 2 defensive ends taken in the first round and still were able to dominate our offense.

A good number of those players were freshmen and sophomores so they'll be the same guys we have to go against next year as well.

The mark of a solid program is one deep enough to plug holes created through graduation. Clemson did that.

We shouldn't cry in our coffee too much. Things happen. Time to start getting ready for Miami.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I am trying not to post anything to reflect my mood right now so let say this. The one thing above all else that flew all over me was the absolute lack of passion about the game demonstrated for most of the game. I saw ZERO fire, ZERO emotion and the flatest team I seen in a long, long while. How do you come into this game and not be mentally and physically ready to play? For the first time in over 50 years as a Tech fan I left a game early, so disgusted with what I saw on the filed tonight.
The camera is not on JT all of the time but when it was, I saw zero fire in the guy's eyes and a physical separation from the rest of the team while on the sideline. He is a 5 year Sr. He seems to not want to be there.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

You do realize that they replaced that DE with 300lber Christian Wilkens who moves better than some TEs and 5* DT. Some don't won't to believe it. But Clemson has reached factory level. They don't rebuild they reload

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with a lot said here. One thing I don't understand is why people are assuming that had we not turned the ball over post-interception we would have gone down and scored before the half.. What makes anyone think it would have been 14-7 had we taken a knee in the endzone? IMO, best case would have been 14-0, which - full disclosure - I would have been fine with. But let's not kid ourselves that we would have marched down in 2+ minutes and put 6 on the board when we had less than 30 yards of total offense for the previous 28 min.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Agree with a lot said here. One thing I don't understand is why people are assuming that had we not turned the ball over post-interception we would have gone down and scored before the half.. What makes anyone think it would have been 14-7 had we taken a knee in the endzone? IMO, best case would have been 14-0, which - full disclosure - I would have been fine with. But let's not kid ourselves that we would have marched down in 2+ minutes and put 6 on the board when we had less than 30 yards of total offense for the previous 28 min.
Doesn’t matter. 14-0 going into halftime would still make a world of difference. I’m not saying we would have won the game. Clemson was the better team last night but going into the half 14-0 and you can still play offense how you want to play it.

Mechaniik

Georgia Tech Fan
The camera is not on JT all of the time but when it was, I saw zero fire in the guy's eyes and a physical separation from the rest of the team while on the sideline. He is a 5 year Sr. He seems to not want to be there.

When teams are getting beaten badly that's what tends to happen - it doesn't matter how fired up you are.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Doesn’t matter. 14-0 going into halftime would still make a world of difference. I’m not saying we would have won the game. Clemson was the better team last night but going into the half 14-0 and you can still play offense how you want to play it.
It does matter. 14-7 implies that we have momentum going into halftime, especially when we get the ball to start the 2nd half. 14-0 implies that it's not as bad as it could be.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Very disappointed, I really thought we were about to turn the corner after the Vandy game. What makes it worse is a national TV audience ... I'd love to know Mr. Stansbury's thoughts !

Heh. Why? What's he gonna do about admissions, the state of college football overall, state of GA academics and all the other reasons we are what we are.

slugboy

Staff member
This is one of those games you just shake out of your head and move on as a fan--at least I do. We've got six pages where people have called out the lack of blocking and defensive issues. I'm not even sure if you watch the game film after this--maybe you just start from scratch.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think those of you seeing Dabo "let off on the gas" need to put the LSD down...you are seeing things that weren't there. Was that by chance stated by commentators?

What Clemson did do was go more run heavy with play calls. Did so to burn the clock on their lead. They still took shots downfield though our D scheme limited that giving them the underneath stuff more. They kept their starters in till the very end....well Gallman came out for the last 2 plays maybe....was that the letting off u saw? Starters in and taking shots at the end zone with throws inside the final 60 seconds up 3 scores. How the hell is that letting off the gas? SMDH:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Not that I'm complaining. Don't want em to score late? Stop em.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

They reload with 4 and 5 star players. Defense is not that complicated especially if you are physically superior than your opponent. We replace Gotsis and Smelter and DJ White with guys far less able than Clemson replaces their NFL draftees. We still don't have a replacement for Shaq. As good as SD is, he's way below Shaq Mason. I wish Mills could have run behind Shaq. Now that would have been fun to watch.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I think those of you seeing Dabo "let off on the gas" need to put the LSD down...you are seeing things that weren't there. Was that by chance stated by commentators?

What Clemson did do was go more run heavy with play calls. Did so to burn the clock on their lead. They still took shots downfield though our D scheme limited that giving them the underneath stuff more. They kept their starters in till the very end....well Gallman came out for the last 2 plays maybe....was that the letting off u saw? Starters in and taking shots at the end zone with throws inside the final 60 seconds up 3 scores. How the hell is that letting off the gas? SMDH:banghead::banghead::banghead:

They did make comment about Dabo punting on 4th and short because friendship with Johnson...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I agree with you, but I think there was a let down in intensity by the Clemson players and it affected their performance. I liken it to our 2014 game against Ga Southern. We got up big in that one and lost our intensity and suddenly we couldn't move the ball. It happens.