Clemson Post-game Thread

Deleted member 2897

I work with a couple of big Clemson donors, and both have stated Clemson can not keep up with Bama spending long term. They are "All in" at the moment, but simply don't have a large enough fan base to keep spending at this level in perpetuity. At some point, this ride they are on will slow down. The question is will it be before or after Dabo leaves the program. With the facilities they've built, and the infrastructure that's in place currently, I'm betting Dabo stays at Clemson for the rest of his career. The real question is if they can afford to keep the assistants at the salary level they are paying them now.

IMHO their offense will be completely different after Trevor Lawrence leaves. Their backups are highly rated guys, but don’t nearly have all the throws and football IQ he has. If you watch game tape again, you’ll notice that he sees the most minuscule little flinch from our linebacker and corners which give away where a blitz is coming from. Then he’ll point at it to call it out to his offensive line, running backs, and receivers. Sure enough - as soon as the ball is hiked and we blitz, he immediately throws to that uncovered receiver from where the blitz came. His ability to read defenses and alert his players is unmatched.

I remember watching him in the All-American game in high school. They hiked the ball and he would throw it just into the grass in an empty spot while the receiver instead would be sprinting down the field. And when the receiver came back to the huddle, he would explain to them “they showed zone, so your read was a curl and sit down in that open space, not a fly”. Clemson will still be a really good team, and their defense will keep them in almost every game. But their offense to me I think is going to be wildly different.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
IMHO their offense will be completely different after Trevor Lawrence leaves. Their backups are highly rated guys, but don’t nearly have all the throws and football IQ he has. If you watch game tape again, you’ll notice that he sees the most minuscule little flinch from our linebacker and corners which give away where a blitz is coming from. Then he’ll point at it to call it out to his offensive line, running backs, and receivers. Sure enough - as soon as the ball is hiked and we blitz, he immediately throws to that uncovered receiver from where the blitz came. His ability to read defenses and alert his players is unmatched.

I remember watching him in the All-American game in high school. They hiked the ball and he would throw it just into the grass in an empty spot while the receiver instead would be sprinting down the field. And when the receiver came back to the huddle, he would explain to them “they showed zone, so your read was a curl and sit down in that open space, not a fly”. Clemson will still be a really good team, and their defense will keep them in almost every game. But their offense to me I think is going to be wildly different.
We can only hope you are right. He sure seems to get the best QB's out of Georgia lately and Kirby has not. Fields left on him but Fromm was entrenched. Clemson recruiting in Georgia is a large part of their success. He has several top commits from GA again this year. Those are the kids he sent a message to on Saturday.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

My guess is, the transfer portal will play an important role in Clemson's QB picture.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Yep, we were 13 points from being undefeated in 2014, finishing ranked #7 in the country. That 2015 recruiting class was ranked #39...with TWENTY-SEVEN recruits!!!
I have one question for you, who was the AD at the time?

You guys and someone here specifically mentioned how Clemson is at max spending right now, and look where that program is. Iowa state and Minnesota have increased their budget recently and they seem to be on the up.

Coaching is very important to recruiting, but as if not more important to that is funding which has been absolutely undeniably pitiful here the past decade.

TStan is improving that and we have seen it in recruiting starting around the time he got here. Now CGC just needs to capitalize on that and try and turn this into something special.

I've thought for a long time that the ceiling here at Tech due to Stem learning is quite low, relatively speaking, but I've been wrong many times in my life so far. Maybe it is possible for CGC to recruit at an elite level consistently. Here's hoping he proves be wrong, we finally have an AD who can help support this. He needs to get to elite level recruiting first and he must deliver.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’d spend just a minute doing a little extra work about the team you’re a fan of before you make such assertions. We’re #26 per Rivals. 247 is way behind on their rankings this year. For example, River Helms is a 5.7 and almost a 4-star. Several SEC schools including Georgia offered him. He’s a top 25 player in Alabama. 247 hasn’t given him a rating yet. Nor have they even published that other ratings services have - their data is wholly incorrect.

This why ‘21 rankings is really crapshoot. No camps & very few game evaluations.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems that reason and perspective has taken hold of this thread. I remember advice that a thread moderator gave me when I got alarmed at all the criticism, skepticism, and downright nastiness heaped on Tech players and coaches after a Tech loss. He said, 'It's the liquor talking Lex, wait a couple of days and come back on line, everybody will be sober'. In all my years of being a Tech fan as I am getting older my thoughts and concerns are more focused on the question 'why do we support sports programs and devote our time and money into these activities'. Do we not want to invest in our younger generation and help teach them character, work ethic, teamwork, discipline, striving for improvement and excellence. To do that they need our encouragement, not our criticism. I just turned 70 and I have had some great wins in my life and, some spectacular losses. All Tech coaches have had rough years and bad losses, Heisman, Dodd, Ross, Curry, Johnson, you can go down the list. My favorite saying from Yogi Berra is 'some people will boo their own kids at an Easter egg hunt', lets not be those people.

After a game like Clemson these coaches and kids need our support and encouragement. We'll know when we need a coaching change when the players give up on them and each other. The only time I can remember seeing that at Tech was with Lewis. We play these games every year and Georgia Tech has a lot of history to be proud of. It's a special place, and remember this is coming from a 'sidewalk fan'.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
we moved from number 45 to number 25. And the argument is being made that we haven’t made a significant improvement. I’m assuming that means you’re inferring we should have top 10 classes. If I’m wrong, what what am I missing with your definition of elite? There are two problems here. First, you’re arguing that we haven’t made a significant improvement in recruiting. Second, you seem to be arguing that top 25 is not a significant improvement but that 10 is an unreasonable expectation.
bwelbo, seems to me you are putting words into my post that don't exist. #5-7 in the ACC is not elite imo---pretty clear, huh?
CGC has demonstrated that he is a good recruiter by virtue of last year's class---clear enuf?
Without consistent recruiting in the high 3s with several 4s, there's no way whatsoever anybody on here or elsewhere, considers it elite.
Even with successes in recruiting, if we don't clearly and obviously improve on Saturdays the next 18-19 games, especially games in the area of 14-19, the big $ guys won't bite, which means we are in a world of hurt. When it comes to this year, games against the likes of BC,Duke, & NCSt are important, along with not getting mauled by UM,unc, and ND. The second half of next year though is much more important. A strong 2nd half next season plus an impressive class which I have defined above, means we are on our way and the $ will have a good probability of increasing considerably.
$ and DTs are the keys. THWG

Deleted member 2897

bwelbo, seems to me you are putting words into my post that don't exist. #5-7 in the ACC is not elite imo---pretty clear, huh?
CGC has demonstrated that he is a good recruiter by virtue of last year's class---clear enuf?
Without consistent recruiting in the high 3s with several 4s, there's no way whatsoever anybody on here or elsewhere, considers it elite.
Even with successes in recruiting, if we don't clearly and obviously improve on Saturdays the next 18-19 games, especially games in the area of 14-19, the big $ guys won't bite, which means we are in a world of hurt. When it comes to this year, games against the likes of BC,Duke, & NCSt are important, along with not getting mauled by UM,unc, and ND. The second half of next year though is much more important. A strong 2nd half next season plus an impressive class which I have defined above, means we are on our way and the $ will have a good probability of increasing considerably.
$ and DTs are the keys. THWG

Again, the argument someone else made was that our recruiting hadn’t significantly improved under CGC. I was disagreeing with that and showed why. I think most people would agree we’re not “elite” 🤮 at recruiting right now.

Second to that, you then jumped in to say “He has said repeatedly we would recruit at an elite level, ok? At a bare minimum in most people's minds imo, that means classes with high 3s and numerous (5-7) 4s. This has to happen consistently or he has over promised. It hasn't happened yet”. I then showed how we did in fact get several 4-star guys last year. And we’re in about the same place again now that we were last year. CGC is 5 games into his second year coaching and we have something like 15 4-star guys here or committed to who weren’t here before he arrived.

I would not say we’re elite at recruiting yet and would agree we need results on the field and better NFL draft numbers to move up another step. I was just pushing back against the idea we’re not significantly better in recruiting than we were.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems that reason and perspective has taken hold of this thread. I remember advice that a thread moderator gave me when I got alarmed at all the criticism, skepticism, and downright nastiness heaped on Tech players and coaches after a Tech loss. He said, 'It's the liquor talking Lex, wait a couple of days and come back on line, everybody will be sober'. In all my years of being a Tech fan as I am getting older my thoughts and concerns are more focused on the question 'why do we support sports programs and devote our time and money into these activities'. Do we not want to invest in our younger generation and help teach them character, work ethic, teamwork, discipline, striving for improvement and excellence. To do that they need our encouragement, not our criticism. I just turned 70 and I have had some great wins in my life and, some spectacular losses. All Tech coaches have had rough years and bad losses, Heisman, Dodd, Ross, Curry, Johnson, you can go down the list. My favorite saying from Yogi Berra is 'some people will boo their own kids at an Easter egg hunt', lets not be those people.

After a game like Clemson these coaches and kids need our support and encouragement. We'll know when we need a coaching change when the players give up on them and each other. The only time I can remember seeing that at Tech was with Lewis. We play these games every year and Georgia Tech has a lot of history to be proud of. It's a special place, and remember this is coming from a 'sidewalk fan'.

I would like to second or third that, Lex. It's a very hard life being a Tech fan. A good many highs and a lot of very low lows. I have been cheering on the Jackets (We used to call them "Yellow Britches" but that term appears to no longer apply) since about 1951 when I was four.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
That's pretty funny, and I should have watched that version of the broadcast.
It was great, him and mack brown were great together. Another gem was.
Mac: "You know when I got up i never let my QB throw."
PJ: "I never let them throw either."
the other coaches all laugh.

Also CPJ's breakdowns of what was happening on plays was amazing.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was thinking the same thing! Can you imagine the J-E-T-S fans reactions to that?
Nothing would surprise me right now, but @bwelbo knows that the first pick money is incredibly hard to turn down and the risk of injury would be hard to adequately insure if you had just turned down the money.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Nothing would surprise me right now, but @bwelbo knows that the first pick money is incredibly hard to turn down and the risk of injury would be hard to adequately insure if you had just turned down the money.
He might be referring to the stunt Elway pulled to keep from having to play for the Colts. There’s ways to duck teams that suck.

Deleted member 2897

Yea he could pull an Eli Manning LOL.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I've got it, with this year's transfer rule so lax, he should just come play at Tech. Graduating with a degree here is much better than Clemson and he can stay here and avoid the jets that way lol.
With the money he will make I doubt he cares about a degree or he wouldn't have gone it. Clemson