Clemson Post-game Thread

GT_EE78

Banned
Well, the day's not a total loss --- Bama thumping the mutts in the second half and not letting up.
choke.png

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He was interviewed for the job. He was ready to leave Navy. We went with a Tech man. Ended up he went to UVA and turned them into a top program from a doormat. Heard he wanted to be given some exceptions and the hill was not as accomodating as they have become. That may have been a deal breaker.
I did not know that he had interviewed but I can certainly understand that the lack of accommodations by the Hill was a deal breaker. There was talk around that time of "deemphasizing football" and even dropping football. The administration was certainly hostile to the athletic department. However, Coach Curry was able to smooth things over a little bit during his time here. I still do not forgive him for leaving Tech for Alabama where he was hated by the Tide fans. He should have stayed where he was but we got Coach Ross and a national championship so there is that.

Deleted member 2897

I personally have no problem with Dabo running up the score. I'm not sure why though, because I definitely had problems when Dan Divine did it with ND against Tech many years ago. I guess that's because I actually respect Dabo and never had any respect at all for Divine or ND. What I do have a problem with though is the fact that we allowed ourselves to be in a position where Dabo (or anyone, for that matter) COULD run up the score. Although I thought we started out the game pretty good, then we fell back on the all too familiar trends on offense (play calling particularly) that we have seen lately, and that pretty much ended it for us. I never expected us to win, although miracles do happen, but there is no excuse for losing by as many points as we did, when IMO the start of the game showed that we had the talent to at least stay on the field with them. Someone asked if it would have been better if the loss had been 52-7 (or something like that) rather than what it ended up being. HELL, YEAH, it would have been better, because it would have shown me that we tried. I think we quit trying, and the play calling for the most part shows that to me. I don't blame the players in the least, and I really don't even blame the DC, but the offensive play calling simply sucked. I would rather go down swinging and pulling out all the stops just to see if something might happen, then to go down calling totally predictable plays over and over again.

Dabo is a stupid dumbass idiot for running up the score. Almost every quarterback on his roster is injured now. There’s absolutely no reason at all to have Lawrence playing in the second half up 60 points. It could have been Lawrence breaking a wrist. He should have a walk on running back taking direct snaps from a walk on center. But he’s too greedy of a bastard to do that. He’s been lucky a long time with how long he plays his starters. One of these days it’s going to end and he’s going to look like a complete fool.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Clemson lost a ton from last years team on both LOS. It's all about elite recruiting (that CGC has mentioned we will do a hundred times). He 's a proven recruiter, albeit mostly at places with a very large bank roll and majors to hide guys that read at a 3rd grade level (not a joke). Yes, he contributed to GT's 2007 class, but it's waaay diff being the HC. It's also way diff with a measly budget and recruiting players that compete in the classroom with kids with credentials competitive at places like Duke and Harvard. I'm not sure the average "fan" understands the profound difference between GT and places like ugag, CU, Bama, and AU. Yet we have done it before and will likely do it again. It takes longer here, as Ross demonstrated who was an established winning coach long before he got here. If we give CGC long enough (say 4 years), he may demonstrate he is learning the ropes of being a D-1 HC. I am like most who have lived enough life to know, the "All hat and no cattle" thingy is real, but my concern far above CGC and staff is......the $.
Clemson has a great team, the best, perhaps, in school history right up there with the great FSU and Miami teams but let me tell you, Alabama is not backing down from anyone. They were behind at halftime to UGA but once they kicked it in gear there was no doubt who the better team was. UGA is probably in the top 5 and could with a few breaks beat the Tide in the SEC championship game. Are they even having that this year? Alabama's receivers are in a class by themselves.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
College football has fundamentally changed since the days of Ross and O'Leary.

Say you are a five-star kid and Saban, Dabo and Geoff come calling. Here's the pitch:

Saban: "Come to Alabama. 55% of 5-stars will be picked in the first round. 82% will be drafted period. You'll make the most money after college."
Dabo: "Come to Clemson. 36% of our 5-stars will be picked in the first round. 91% will be drafted period. You're set for life."
Geoff: "Come to GT. None of our players are drafted first round. Most not at all. But you can design barracks for the Corp of Engineers."

That's what we are up against.
Cute Ves, but badly flawed. Hint: Your Geoff quote is completely absurd considering he's gonna recruit on an elite level---ask him if u haven't heard. Plus he can say all of our graduates are set for life. Plus, based CPJs record, he can claim you will actually graduate, and btw you should check out the grad rate of da factories, like ugag.
EVERYBODY, including us if we ever get one again like CJ, can claim their 5* get drafted at a high %.
He can also say--check out what our current players, many of whom you know, say about what it's like to be here vs Tuscaloosa and Athens. Plus, be sure kid and walk around Bama, CU, and ugag campuses and look at what the pick-up truck stickers say (have your parents do the same thing, ok). And finally, ask the recruit to check out what ugag's recent stars are saying about how they were treated on campus, and compare that to going to school in Atlanta and all that this means.

We are all aware of what CFB has become, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. The 5* recruits that are dreaming of an NFL contract in 3 years, we don't get anyway, and don't have to (actually we have one now, but he's very rare). Six or seven 4* per class will do just fine as long as 4-5 of em are LOS players and 2 of those are DT wardaddies. THWG

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I get it. And you make a great point. Personally, I was a fan of keeping the TO but now ... and where CFB is headed, it's clear that can't work. We would forever fall into the mid-tier programs and probably not get out.

Trends suggest that there's going to be 25 or so programs that are relevant in 5 years and 100 also rans (Charlotte, Buffalo, Louisiana). So, it Tech wants to be in the 25, it has to recruit. Bigly. And that means totally changing the direction of the program.

Clemson has a 10 year head start. I think we will be in this boat for another 2 years ... winning 4-5 games a year until we start to turn the corner. Having said that, I also think we are going to be a decent 8-4 team but .... we will be relevant.

The big programs like Bama, Clemson, UGA, OSU ... are simply going to get more and more of the resources, including talent. It's the Pareto Rule applied to CFB.
There will be a sector of top 25 or so teams that we can aspire to become...but we are not going to be in the elite 8 or so that will be winning national championships from here on out. Our best recruiting class was barely in the top 25 while Miami's WORST class was barely in the top 25 over the past five years or so. Right now I do not think we are a top 50 team until we beat Duke, BC, Syracuse, oops!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Cute Ves, but badly flawed. Hint: Your Geoff quote is completely absurd considering he's gonna recruit on an elite level---ask him if u haven't heard. Plus he can say all of our graduates are set for life. Plus, based CPJs record, he can claim you will actually graduate, and btw you should check out the grad rate of da factories, like ugag.
EVERYBODY, including us if we ever get one again like CJ, can claim their 5* get drafted at a high %.
He can also say--check out what our current players, many of whom you know, say about what it's like to be here vs Tuscaloosa and Athens. Plus, be sure kid and walk around campus and look at what the pick-up truck stickers say (have your parents do the same thing, ok). And finally, ask the recruit to check out what ugag's recent stars are saying about how they were treated on campus, and compare that to going to school in Atlanta and all that this means.

We are all aware of what CFB has become, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. The 5* recruits that are dreaming of an NFL contract in 3 years, we don't get anyway, and don't have to (actually we have one now, but he's very rare). Six or seven 4* per class will do just fine as long as 4-5 of em are LOS players and 2 of those are DT wardaddies. THWG
Nothing cute at all. Those are actual statistics.

Facts are stubborn things.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If you haven't watched Notre Dame, that game is absolutely winnable. I actually think we have a good chance of winning that one.

IMO, the only game I see us having a hard time winning is Miami. Everyone else on the schedule the rest of the season we can win against...provided we don't knee cap ourselves with turnovers.
Unfortunately, each of those games is a game that we can lose, including Duke. For what its worth, we are past the "easy" part of the schedule I just regret that we lost to Syracuse and its a pity we did not play Duke earlier when they were more vulnerable it would seem.

slugboy

Staff member
Suguira’s 5 things postgame article:

Deleted member 2897

If you haven't watched Notre Dame, that game is absolutely winnable. I actually think we have a good chance of winning that one.

IMO, the only game I see us having a hard time winning is Miami. Everyone else on the schedule the rest of the season we can win against...provided we don't knee cap ourselves with turnovers.

THIS. This is what the team should focus on. If we win 6 or 7 games, a 24-23 loss to Clemson or a 73-7 loss to Clemson still only counts as 1 loss. This is a crazy year with COVID and injuries and everything else. If we play like we have a couple times we can win a lot more games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He may hav
I was under the impression that Spurrier wanted the job that Curry got.
I don't think he had head coaching experience at that point. That could have been a great hire. Look what he did at Duke. Spurrier had been an assistant coach at Tech but I forget exactly when. May have been Carson or fulcher era. Some of his original duke players said when he first met with the team he looked around the room and then said" I can win with you guys." Then he did.

Deleted member 2897

Suguira’s 5 things postgame article:

Darn, I was hoping one of his takeaways would be that he would stop acting like a complete idiotic buffoon. His tweet is still out there where he said that the fans were cheering for Sims to get a concussion when there was a penalty on Clemson for a late hit. Everybody knows we were cheering that the Refs finally made a call. Despite being told repeatedly he was wrong, he just dug into his position and stuck to it. The guy is a blathering *******. He should be called on that and asked to apologize at the next press conference.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No way that happened. I thought we should take Sims out earlier than he did to avoid injury and the game was basically over at the half. Glad he got through it without injury. I can't imagine our fans wishing that he was hurt.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I admit I left early. I'm so embarrassed. We should have been trying to burn clock during the first half when we had the ball. Three straight incomplete passes gives the ball back to Clemson after less than a minute. The defense was wasted. I'm now starting to wonder if the Collins hire was a mistake. That was not a Georgia Tech football team. If this is a culture he is building (73-7), I don't want to be a part of it.
Double Bingo!! He also called 3 timeouts during that debacle with 1:40 left trying to just get a first down and on 4th down didn't throw the ball far enough to even get a first down . Clemson gets the ball and scores a TD with about 52 seconds left. That my friends is plain stupid!!

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
It was really bad and I do think the coaches were overmatched. But I am firmly convinced the Dabo running it up is all about recruiting. 50 points scored would have easily held the number one ranking. The 73 was to proof to recruits it is a waste of time to consider GT. He recruits heavily in GA and couldn't have been happy Collins was getting interest from 4 stars.

If I was Collins i would point out it took Dabo several years to get Clemson where they are today. Key is every school is on TV today, good players get recruited in the NFL no matter what programming they are playing for and 4 stars have a chance to play at GT year one....highly unlikely at Clemson or Georgia.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
There is an obvious costal elite vibe to our fanbase. I’m not really sure how anyone could debate that.

Just because someone rather go for a liberal arts degree doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t smart enough for our school or aren’t hard workers. People have different interests in life. Whether you want to add a more diverse amount of degrees just for sports is a different discussion, but questioning our opponent’s work ethic or intelligence(which our fanbase does all the time) is a tired and, frankly, offensive aspect of our fanbase.