Clemson Post-game Thread

He took the high road on Dabo running it up.

I personally have no problem with Dabo running up the score. I'm not sure why though, because I definitely had problems when Dan Divine did it with ND against Tech many years ago. I guess that's because I actually respect Dabo and never had any respect at all for Divine or ND. What I do have a problem with though is the fact that we allowed ourselves to be in a position where Dabo (or anyone, for that matter) COULD run up the score. Although I thought we started out the game pretty good, then we fell back on the all too familiar trends on offense (play calling particularly) that we have seen lately, and that pretty much ended it for us. I never expected us to win, although miracles do happen, but there is no excuse for losing by as many points as we did, when IMO the start of the game showed that we had the talent to at least stay on the field with them. Someone asked if it would have been better if the loss had been 52-7 (or something like that) rather than what it ended up being. HELL, YEAH, it would have been better, because it would have shown me that we tried. I think we quit trying, and the play calling for the most part shows that to me. I don't blame the players in the least, and I really don't even blame the DC, but the offensive play calling simply sucked. I would rather go down swinging and pulling out all the stops just to see if something might happen, then to go down calling totally predictable plays over and over again.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
As always, your input is appreciated. Criticism is indeed okay. Juvenile comments and the like are not. If that is censorship then I respect your right to believe that. If you are uncertain as to how to refer to him going forward (I too am unclear on the spelling of his real name myself) I think CDP should suffice. And it is easy to spell.

Right now people on a Tampa Bay Bucs forum are having this exact same conversation, trying to decide if GOAT is derogatory

As always, your input is appreciated. Criticism is indeed okay. Juvenile comments and the like are not. If that is censorship then I respect your right to believe that. If you are uncertain as to how to refer to him going forward (I too am unclear on the spelling of his real name myself) I think CDP should suffice. And it is easy to spell.
I agree that juvenile comments are offensive most of the time, but, unless they are meant as threats, or even construed as threats, then IMO so what? The freedom to say them is more important to me than the possibility of being offended. IMO banning them is as petty as making them to begin with.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree that juvenile comments are offensive most of the time, but, unless they are meant as threats, or even construed as threats, then IMO so what? The freedom to say them is more important to me than the possibility of being offended. IMO banning them is as petty as making them to begin with.

Supersize, I think we both know each other well enough by now to know we aren't persuasive or eloquent enough to change each other's minds on this. If you want to PM, fine but I think we would be wasting each other's time tbh.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

This is just a rant but ... under this idea, Flounder, Otter, Babs, Stormin Norman, Blood & Guts and other names from Americana are now taboo. You can’t even say **** Blumenthal now because the senator’s own name is banned.

Sad. George Orwell was ahead of his time.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is just a rant but ... under this idea, Flounder, Otter, Babs, Stormin Norman, Blood & Guts and other names from Americana are now taboo. You can’t even say **** Blumenthal now because the senator’s own name is banned.

Sad. George Orwell was ahead of his time.

This is hilarious. An auto respeller changes the man’s own name to something someone else thinks he should be called. Asterisk-Man!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here is the schedule. There is a good chance we win 2-3 more. BC, Pitt, Duke, and NCSU are all winnable. Miami and ND? Could happen. I can see this being a 6-5 season.

While trying to avoid fallacy, can anyone on here honestly (and realistically) say that they expected to have a 6-5 season in year 2? With this many lower class players starting? Sure I understand we have only 2 wins, not 6 - but I can easily see getting To 6.

I think a lot of this moaning and griping about the coaches is way premature, especially at this point in the Tenure, but especially when we have a good shot at a winning season.

I see a lot of nay saying. I also see a crazy opportunity to make all the pundits saying we would be last in ACC play look like fools. This could still be Coach of the Year type stuff if the O can get going again like they did v Louisville.

I am happy with what I have seen so far this year. I don't like losses, but they were fairly Unavoidable, especially Clemson.

View attachment 9275

If you haven't watched Notre Dame, that game is absolutely winnable. I actually think we have a good chance of winning that one.

IMO, the only game I see us having a hard time winning is Miami. Everyone else on the schedule the rest of the season we can win against...provided we don't knee cap ourselves with turnovers.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
IMO, the only game I see us having a hard time winning is Miami. Everyone else on the schedule the rest of the season we can win against...provided we don't knee cap ourselves with turnovers.

Is that based on watching them? I haven't seen them play this year but I know that they were boatraced pretty bad by Clemson also. Maybe the score wasn't as bad but from reading the accounts, they werenever in that ballgame.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
You can't really blame the defense when they have been on the field ALL game. They are exhausted and tired because our offense blows. Thanks, Patenaude.
That is a good argument if Clemson had not scored all those points early before anyone was legit tired.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is definitely on another level from most football teams. But for those acting like this year they are even better to justify this loss need a history lesson. The 2018 team was definitely better than the 2020 version of Clemson. What they did to Alabama in the National Championship game (44-16) was a beautiful thing to watch.

You can't justify that cluster eff we did yesterday by saying "Oh but look how good they are"

I do wish Collins had kept Woody. I liked his defensive philosophy. I wanted to give him a few years to see how that could work out. But now we don't have any philosophy on either side of the ball.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was expecting a 50-7 type score but it was even worse.
I want someone to ask Coach what he thinks about our safety play. We constantly have players out of position, which is worse than just getting beat on a play.
50-7 was easily doable but our time management expert coaches chose to not milk the clock (game was out of reach at 31-7) but we were running about 58 seconds off the clock with our 3 and outs, giving Clemson way too many possessions. I do not blame Clemson as they used 4 QBs and wanted to give them a chance to see what they could do. We should have done the same and at the same time used up more of the 25-40 second play clock. The points over 50 were on us. Our O is disappointing and the D play this week was worse but both were surpassed by our poor in game and prep coaching. Things will not get much better until we commit to be able to move the sticks in short yardage and develop a real pass rush.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
George was a better coach but I don't think he would have wanted to come to Tech. I am not sure any really good coach would have wanted to come. It was that bad.
He was interviewed for the job. He was ready to leave Navy. We went with a Tech man. Ended up he went to UVA and turned them into a top program from a doormat. Heard he wanted to be given some exceptions and the hill was not as accomodating as they have become. That may have been a deal breaker.

Clemson is definitely on another level from most football teams. But for those acting like this year they are even better to justify this loss need a history lesson. The 2018 team was definitely better than the 2020 version of Clemson. What they did to Alabama in the National Championship game (44-16) was a beautiful thing to watch.

You can't justify that cluster eff we did yesterday by saying "Oh but look how good they are"

I do wish Collins had kept Woody. I liked his defensive philosophy. I wanted to give him a few years to see how that could work out. But now we don't have any philosophy on either side of the ball.
I liked Woody too. I am not sold yet on Thacker, but I'm not against him either.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
High grade of stupidity here

So our win vs. FSU was luck, but Syracuse vs us wasn’t when we were missing 7 players?

Speaking of FSU, they beat the nuthuggers on here favorite team UNC
What is sad is that FSU is improving while we are regressing. I bet they beat us handily now. That new qb of their's is no joke.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I've soured on Dr. Pee. He was so outcoached by Venerables today that he could have had their offensive players against our defensive players and been held to 7 points. It takes a real idiot not to realize our game had to adjust to slow the clock. AT LEAST make sure you burn 30 seconds on every offensive play.
Absolutely. The loss was very very likely unavoidable but the magnitude of the loss (and embarrassment) was on the coaches for time management of the game. Many of our 3 and outs consumed only one minute off the clock. More amateur hour from the in game coaching.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Surprised you included The Canterbury Tales in that list, but the fact remains that reading or studying books like those does very little to provide a decent income for one, nor really even to provide anything applicable to daily life.
I don't disagree with you at all if what you mean is those are not books that teach you a specific marketable skill. But, remember, my uga relatives refer to Tech as the North Avenue Trade School. When we make derogatory comments about the intelligence of our opponents' players we open ourselves to being called a vo tech school.

Another comment said I could add the Bible to my list. I have read it cover to cover twice and am thinking of accepting the challenge from a friend to read the Quran. Neither of those will get me a job but might help me be a better person.

I don't disagree with you at all if what you mean is those are not books that teach you a specific marketable skill. But, remember, my uga relatives refer to Tech as the North Avenue Trade School. When we make derogatory comments about the intelligence of our opponents' players we open ourselves to being called a vo tech school.

Another comment said I could add the Bible to my list. I have read it cover to cover twice and am thinking of accepting the challenge from a friend to read the Quran. Neither of those will get me a job but might help me be a better person.
They have been calling us the North Ave Trade School for decades. Even if that's all Tech was, it would still provide better jobs for its students than all of those liberal arts programs ever will.