Clemson Post-game Thread

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Actually, it kind of reminded me of the 70-0 beat down Tech put on Elon the first game of I think it was the 2013 season. I was at that game. Hot as Hades it was.
I had the same thought. We even ran the clock without stopping it in the second half to shorten the game.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
No, I doubt it we happened to be a speed bump on the way to a national championship.
This is what I am thinking. With Bama and Georgia playing tonight I think Dabo wanted to put up a ton of points to impress the committee even though "style points don't matter"..

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So go find us some better coordinators who are willing to accept the challenges that come along with rebuilding a team from scratch, the recruiting difficulties at Tech, and are willing to put their reputations on the line of the experiment fails.

You’ve got about $500k per year to work with, more than like probably going to need at least a 4 year contract, so that’s a $2M allotment for both jobs. Please find 2 guys who will do better jobs with what there is currently to work with. We’re all begging you to

There is a lot of complaining about coordinators going on. My Florida buddies tell me that good old "Third and Grantham" is going to be available soon. Coach Collins could give him a call. You would have to enlarge Grant Field to accommodate his ego though.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know if he plays the best players or not. My opinion is that he is playing the guys who know the system and have worked hard. Is that always the best player? I’m sure we have more talented freshmen but they may not know the system that well due to COVID cancelling a lot. But I do know a lot of the LB’s and DB’s we are playing wouldn’t be playing for most P5 schools. what else can Collins do in year 2 considering the players he inherited were part of poorly rated classes. As I already mentioned I think we’ll see a lot of guys entering the portal who were recruited by the previous coach. And there is nothing wrong with that on either Collins side or the players side. Collins is going to be judged starting next year so he might as well be judged on guys he brought in. I don’t see why any of this has to be contentious. It’s business. If a player sees the bench is in his future then he has the freedom to do what is best for him. Just like the coaches do.
Wow, you moved the goalpost. Which is fine.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
73-7 this year and 45-0 to VT last year have to be two of the worst home losses, if not the worst losses, for GT since 1900.
Don't know about that Virginia Tech loss. It was pretty bad to be sure but we have lost to Notre Dame 69-14, UGA 51-3, and FSU hung 50 plus on us and all of those were in living memory as well as a pretty bad loss to a really great UGA team in 1968 47-8. Seems like Virginia Tech hung 50 on Chan one year but might be wrong about that. 73-7 is the worst in modern history to be sure.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Not true huh....well I got it strait from his parents today.

I’m not saying his parents didn’t say that. I’m saying what they. I would bet my house Lawrence didn’t give GT or PJ the time of day when he was recruited. How would they know whether or not he could get in or stay in. Their perception is most likely based on that of elitist GT fans that tout how great the school is as an excuse to why we’ve stunk lately.

As a former student athlete, I can assure you he would’ve got in and knowing his character (or how it’s described) would’ve had no trouble passing classes at GT. My GPA was actually higher at GT than it was in HS.

In fact I’d bet 99% of all high level QBs coming out of HS can get into and stay in GT.

This may not be the same for all position groups, but I’d guess same applies for centers, MLBs, and potentially safeties.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I’m not saying his parents didn’t say that. I’m saying what they. I would bet my house Lawrence didn’t give GT or PJ the time of day when he was recruited. How would they know whether or not he could get in or stay in. Their perception is most likely based on that of elitist GT fans that tout how great the school is as an excuse to why we’ve stunk lately.

As a former student athlete, I can assure you he would’ve got in and knowing his character (or how it’s described) would’ve had no trouble passing classes at GT. My GPA was actually higher at GT than it was in HS.

In fact I’d bet 99% of all high level QBs coming out of HS can get into and stay in GT.

This may not be the same for all position groups, but I’d guess same applies for centers, MLBs, and potentially safeties.
Not many of these guys take engineering or computer science. Those majors are different animals. GT does have majors that don't require that level of math and science.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, the day's not a total loss --- Bama thumping the mutts in the second half and not letting up.

Yes, Kirby really is a dumb head coach. He needed to go uptempo against Bammer, and he did not, and he is paying the price. You would have thought he would have learned from Kiffin, but I guess being a defensive coach, he thought he could win a slugfest, but Bammer's O is too good and his QB is too mediocre for that to happen. I really think Kirby will never win big, because he is not extremely bright, or does not appear to be.

Yes, Kirby really is a dumb head coach. He needed to go uptempo against Bammer, and he did not, and he is paying the price. You would have thought he would have learned from Kiffin, but I guess being a defensive coach, he thought he could win a slugfest, but Bammer's O is too good and his QB is too mediocre for that to happen. I really think Kirby will never win big, because he is not extremely bright, or does not appear to be.
I don't think the mutts of 2020 are capable of going uptempo

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Two main things that bothered me with today’s game. One was the apparent half time speech by Collins where he just told everyone he loved them. Two, the second half performance by the team which showed no fight at all. Two may be related to one. It’s ok to get blown out by Clemson. Lots of teams will. But if you give up 50 in the first half then have some pride and fight back a little.
I was at the game but heard he said that at the half. I would have preferred that he broke a couple of chairs. I mean they were down 52-7 at halftime! They should have come out in the second half breathing fire instead of feeling loved by the coach.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I can not believe some of this **** that is posted on here comes from GT fans. GT has maybe 5 or 6 players that would make the 2 deep at Clem’s .
Really? You essentially say our players can’t hold Clemp’s jockstraps & you’re complaining about “other fans”? Go into the locker room & let them hear it from you straight up.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the mutts of 2020 are capable of going uptempo

Maybe not, but you can't tell me they don't have more talent than Ole Miss!! If Lane or someone else was coaching the O, and "smart" would let him, they could go uptempo, I believe. And, their best player is probably Pickens, and they barely got him the ball all night. If you throw it up 5 times (jump balls), he will come down with 3 of them or get interfered with, but they never even tried it that I can remember. I am saying that Kirby wants to win the way Saban did years ago - with a dominating D, and in today's big boy football, you better have a potent O.