Clemson Post-game Thread

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what else Swinney could have done to get an honorable win, so blame Collins et al for Tech's performance. Swinney was into his 2's by the end of the half, into his 3's and 4's at the start of the 4th, and wound up using his punter as a

Personally I have no real problem with how Swinney called the game but they had the ball with the ability to kill the clock and take it to the half up by 38 and instead chose to air it out. They went for it twice on 4th up 60. Also, you usually don't see teams throw it 50 times in games this lopsided. For instance, last year Clemson threw it 35 times against Wake, 36 against BC, 36 against NCSU, 29 against UVA, and 30 times against us. You can go back to previous years as well. Like I said I don't have any issue with it personally, and I don't know if it was to send a message to his team, get style points for the playoff, just get looks for his back ups or what, but he certainly didn't treat this game like has many of these types of games he has had in the past.

Primus_GT

Georgia Tech Fan
If Georgia Tech had the budget to hire Clemson’s coaching staff what’s the score?

Dabo make over $9M per year. GC makes about $3M. Clemson has 9 coaches making $500k+ per year. Tech has 1.

You act like it’s a surprise that Clemson’s coaches are better and more seasoned than Tech’s.
However, it wasn’t always this way. Go back through the last decade and understand it was Dabo who built this program slowly and steadily. But it was definitely under his guidance. What made him successful was an administration that was all in with him and his philosophy towards the program.

He actually sacrificed some of his salary so that he could hire the correct coordinators. And didn’t hesitate to let them go when they didn’t work out. He is an excellent recruiter and manage to land some serious five star players that lead to more five star players. He is now at the point where he is getting good players at every position. This didn’t happen overnight. I believe any team can do this with the right staff but without the administration and the money, it is almost impossible for some schools.

However, even SEC schools that have more money than Clemson aren’t automatically successful unless they have the correct head coach.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Friendly reminder: personal attacks on any of our coaches, staff, and most importantly our players is not allowed here. This includes but is not limited to derogatory or "funny" nicknames.

Criticism of our coaches is certainly okay and expected especially after such a loss but I suggest being specific with your concerns and criticism instead of resorting to name calling.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
What I saw was the No. 1s through the first half and the first drive and maybe the second in the second. Dabo was running up the score for whatever reason. As they say, "Karma is a bit**" and we can only hope this victory comes back to bite him in the future.
Sure, if our coaches do the job we expect, we might be competitive in a few years, but the chance for us to give them something like they just gave us is decades away, if ever. That is more about Clemson than it is about us.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
One, coaches could have helped the offense a little more. Running the ball and short passes after we were getting destroyed would have ran the clock down. Two, Dabo running up that score was ridiculous! I hope we get a chance to return the favor soon.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I totally disagree. Players are out of position.

Plenty of speed with Swilling and J. Thomas.

J. Thomas is slow. Has done nothing this year except follow WR’s into the end zone. Swilling has some speed but I don’t see him being some high end NFL player. Some of you must believe in Santa Claus if you believe there is some “scheme” for defensive players who aren’t as fast as the offensive player - Unless you sack the QB every play. Personally, I’m ready to see several DB’s find the bench, but I also understand Collins still has to play umpire between his guys and the holdovers. He’s doing a great job so far but I expect a big purge after this season, especially they way he uses the portal.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
J. Thomas is slow. Has done nothing this year except follow WR’s into the end zone. Swilling has some speed but I don’t see him being some high end NFL player. Some of you must believe in Santa Claus if you believe there is some “scheme” for defensive players who aren’t as fast as the offensive player - Unless you sack the QB every play. Personally, I’m ready to see several DB’s find the bench, but I also understand Collins still has to play umpire between his guys and the holdovers. He’s doing a great job so far but I expect a big purge after this season, especially they way he uses the portal.
Still disagree. I believe Thomas was one in the 20 mph club.

What do you mean about playing umpire between playing holdovers and "his guys". Does he not play the best players ATL?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Two main things that bothered me with today’s game. One was the apparent half time speech by Collins where he just told everyone he loved them. Two, the second half performance by the team which showed no fight at all. Two may be related to one. It’s ok to get blown out by Clemson. Lots of teams will. But if you give up 50 in the first half then have some pride and fight back a little.

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Look I live in Greenville sc and I caught the Dabo press conference earlier this week. Besides the normal coach speak when asked about the tech players lifting
weights before the game it was a pause and then a ‘no comment’. He never does that.

Make no mistake this was a statement game by good ole Dab. Anyone who thinks he is a ‘good guy’ gets their news from Facebook or Twitter. Did he call bomb plays up by 50 and going for it on every 4th down against citadel or wake?

This was obviously a statement to future recruits in Georgia or he hates Collins. And yes this is no excuse for our poor performance but Clemons could put 100 on everyone in the ACC if he didnt call off the dogs. I hope he rots in hell

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, the Syracuse loss stung more than this one for me. Of course it was embarrassing to lose by that much, but Clemson looked really good in the Miami game last week. I was hoping we were going to be able to run the ball effectively, but if it weren’t for the last play of the game, we would have been under 2 yds per rush. Sims, the receivers, and the OL weren’t going to be successful without a strong running game vs Clemson.

I was disappointed how easily our secondary was beat. Receivers were wide open on too many occasions. I’ll have to go back and watch but I don’t remember swilling and Walton being beat badly, but I do recall the nickels, LB, and safety’s leaving people wide open. Last years the DBs seemed improved but I feel like we’ve regressed this year. The team defended the running game fairly well.

I was also disappointed in the unforced turnovers. You can’t have a fumbled snap and just drop a ball without contact against the #1 team.

Clemson seemed to time up blitzes really well. I don’t know if we vary our snaps enough.

JoeyGT777

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, the good news is that now that Gibbs and Sims and the rest of the team have seen what "real competition" is, then the rest of the season is going to be easy. RIght?

If we were getting better each week, it should have never been this bad (worst loss in ACC history). Our offensive play calling in the second half was a clear sign that our OC was in way over his head and he just wanted get the game over with as fast as possible instead of working on the passing game or maybe giving Gleason some snaps.

No one expected a win or it to be even close, but 73-7 is just pathetic, rebuild or no rebuild...
I agree completely....They passed the ball 13 times all game against the best team in college football and seemed to have run almost every play in the 2nd half...our OC calls terrible plays and forces plays that don't work...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Two main things that bothered me with today’s game. One was the apparent half time speech by Collins where he just told everyone he loved them. Two, the second half performance by the team which showed no fight at all. Two may be related to one. It’s ok to get blown out by Clemson. Lots of teams will. But if you give up 50 in the first half then have some pride and fight back a little.

I will give him a pass on #1. I have to confess that I once told my mother in law that I loved her after she made some really great homemade lasagna. I went to a play my niece was in and when she asked me if I enjoyed it , I said I loved it. Sometimes people just say stupid $iht. I know I have.