Clemson Post-game Thread

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Our secondary is slow. No scheme Thacker can come up with will change us getting torched. We’ve seen UCF, Syracuse, and now Clemson absolutely maul our DB’s with speed. That’s a recruiting problem from 2016, 2017, and 2018. I fully agree it looks like we are often out of position, etc. but it’s simply a lack of speed. Same with several LB’s. If this game did anything all it did was reinforce what Collins and company have been doing to build the GT brand for recruits.
Our secondary was supposed to be our strength

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Our secondary is slow. No scheme Thacker can come up with will change us getting torched. We’ve seen UCF, Syracuse, and now Clemson absolutely maul our DB’s with speed. That’s a recruiting problem from 2016, 2017, and 2018. I fully agree it looks like we are often out of position, etc. but it’s simply a lack of speed. Same with several LB’s. If this game did anything all it did was reinforce what Collins and company have been doing to build the GT brand for recruits.

I totally disagree. Players are out of position.

Plenty of speed with Swilling and J. Thomas.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I expected to read a lot of stupidity on this board, but it's worse than I thought it would be. People have a right to be upset with the coaching staff---the last one, for failing to recruit.

Other than Clayton, who hasn't played for two years, how many upperclassmen are on the ATL at DE and DT? None. At LB, we have one guy Jackson, who is an upperclassman and has the talent to be a P5 player. The safeties are OK, but recruiting rankings aren't the gospel. And we only have one CB upperclassman who is a P5 level player, Swilling. This defense is very, very young, and experience on D is so important. The defense is young because the prior staff did not recruit well. Having 4 or 5 guys who have both the experience and talent to play at this level makes it very easy to create matchups that an offense can win, especially with as many weapons as Clemson has.

My complaint is the OL. They aren't that talented, but 4 of the 5 are upperclassmen. I had hoped that they are better than they showed today. But there is no real competition or depth there or we would not be starting a true FR at one tackle. Again, this is the failure of the prior staff to recruit OL. The failures of the OL today kept the D on the field. You geniuses that believe the OC can design plays that can overcome an OL that can't block should stick to watching soap operas.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Curious the number of people that want Collins fired after a year+.

You know who you are, just own it instead of coming up with all the nit-picky complaints.

Do you misunderstand the build we're facing?

I expected to read a lot of stupidity on this board, but it's worse than I thought it would be. People have a right to be upset with the coaching staff---the last one, for failing to recruit.

Other than Clayton, who hasn't played for two years, how many upperclassmen are on the ATL at DE and DT? None. At LB, we have one guy Jackson, who is an upperclassman and has the talent to be a P5 player. The safeties are OK, but recruiting rankings aren't the gospel. And we only have one CB upperclassman who is a P5 level player, Swilling. This defense is very, very young, and experience on D is so important. The defense is young because the prior staff did not recruit well. Having 4 or 5 guys who have both the experience and talent to play at this level makes it very easy to create matchups that an offense can win, especially with as many weapons as Clemson has.

My complaint is the OL. They aren't that talented, but 4 of the 5 are upperclassmen. I had hoped that they are better than they showed today. But there is no real competition or depth there or we would not be starting a true FR at one tackle. Again, this is the failure of the prior staff to recruit OL. The failures of the OL today kept the D on the field. You geniuses that believe the OC can design plays that can overcome an OL that can't block should stick to watching soap operas.
So just a thought coming into this year who had the most returning starters in the ACC........Tech Did the staff do something different ? Lee, a good player transferred this week.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm going to do something a little different here.

The long pass to Camp was nice. It was fun being tied with clemson for 3 seconds.

Jordan domineek sack early on was nice.

Wheels fell off after that. I don't think Gibbs played in the second half and I was a littlr shocked we kept playing Sims. At one point I watched both of Clemson's DE get to Sims almost immediately.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That’s not the goal, I think. It’s to get to 8-4 average.

Which will still likely require improved recruiting.

There is a reason that in the long run Johnson's win% was near identical to Gailey's and it wasn't trending in the right direction towards the end. Scheme can only take you so far, and even good schemes get better results with improved recruiting.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

It was an uphill battle with the OL during the CPJ years. They didn't lift weights or eat food like an OL should. Lewis Carella has them on a much more intense lifting regiment...we can't expect undersized linemen to push front 7s back and open up big holes for our running game unless these guys are packing on muscle from the first day they step on the flats.

Same goes with the defense. You mention experience which is important but you just straight up can't expect an 18 year old to push around a 22 year old who has been on an FBS strength and nutrition plan at the greatest program in CFB right now.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Decisions have consequences....

The 2016 season was a memorable one for the Black Knights under Monken. He led them to their first win over Navy since 2001 and a victory in a bowl game. The last time the Black Knights accomplished both feats in the same season was in 1984. Army was second in the nation in rushing offense and ran for a then Academy single-season 46 touchdowns, which eclipsed the 1945 national championship team. Defensively, Army was consistently in the Top-10 in total defense and closed out the year fourth in the nation.

In 2017 Monken led Army to its most successful season in over two decades, earning 10 victories, the Commander in Chief’s Trophy and a victory in the Armed Forces Bowl. The Black Knights won the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision rushing title by averaging 362.3 rushing yards per game and finished with 50 rushing touchdowns, which broke the program record. On the other side of the ball, Army was third in the nation in red zone defense and 14th against the pass. The Black Knights held opponents to 22 points per game and ended Air Force’s 306-game scoring streak with a 21-0 victory at Falcon Stadium. It was the first shutout against a service academy since 1969.

In 2018 Monken led the Cadets to a historic year as his squad became nationally ranked in early November for the first time in 22 years (1996). They remained in the Top-25 throughout the rest of the season and finished ranked No. 19 in the Associated Press Poll and No. 20 in the Amway Coaches Poll. The year was highlighted by a program-record 11 wins, marking the first time in Academy history the Black Knights registered 10-plus wins in back-to-back seasons. Army also won the Commander In Chief’s trophy in consecutive seasons for the first time in program lore. The Black Knights became the first three-time winner of the Armed Forces Bowl as well that season after they routed Houston, 70-14, on Dec. 22. The 70 points put up by Army in that contest tied an FBS record for points scored in a bowl game.

Now, switch to Geoff Collins.

7-6 in 2017
8-4 in 2018
3-9 in 2019 with Georgia Tech
2-3 this year with Georgia Tech

20-22 overall record.

It's not even a comparison who is a better football coach between Monken and Collins.... Experience favors Monken, results favor Monken, ability favors Monken, ease of transition favors Monken.. There was nothing Geoff Collins had to make him a better pick than Monken. Nothing. Not a single thing.

Georgia Tech is now to the ACC what Kansas is to the Big 12. Losing to the Citadel.... 1-4 Syracuse teams... Losing 50-0 to Virginia Tech... Losing 70-something to 7 in a game. That is Kansas stuff. That is "we can barely snap the football" stuff.

Rant over.
If we need him, I sure hope he will be available. Now, it would be fine if we don’t, but sure hope he is if we need him.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm okay that I infuriated you. You should be mad. If it takes my opinion to make you mad after today then you've been drinking the 'cool'-aide a bit too deeply and you are getting mad about the wrong thing. We just didn't get an ***-whooping, we got the worst ***-whooping in the history of the ACC.

I'm hoping that makes you mad, but if you need to feel superior by implying that I'm less qualified to have an opinion than you...then you just be you.
I didn't say you were less qualified than me, I said you were less qualified than Geoff Collins and Stansbury to determine whether the coaches were doing their job. LOL!

It cracks me up when us fans spout that "it's obvious our coaches suck!" Actually, we have no clue whether they suck or not. We just don't see them being successful, and we equate that with them sucking. If they really sucked, then they wouldn't have a job.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This just felt like a poorly played and coached game he while way around. Wasn't expecting anything close to a win but 73 to 7 is just completely disgusting. Dabo seemed to want to embarrass us today
I don't know what else Swinney could have done to get an honorable win, so blame Collins et al for Tech's performance. Swinney was into his 2's by the end of the half, into his 3's and 4's at the start of the 4th, and wound up using his punter as a
"Dabo wanted to embarrass us today." Mission accomplished when the punter is playing quarterback in the fourth quarter. Our team for the first time seemed to quit.
If Swinney wanted to embarrass us he could have hung a hundred on us by the end of the third quarter. Blame us for not competing. We need to get over this everybody-is-out-to-get-us posture and start playing some football. The punter, by the way, was a QB in high school and has a couple of completions from punt formation in his career. He has a gun for an arm.

Primus_GT

Georgia Tech Fan
So answer me this...why did we snap the ball with 20+ seconds remaining on most plays if we were so overmatched? Either Dr. Pee knew we were overmatched but wasn't smart enough to know or care that the D needed rest time, or Dr. Pee doesn't get that we are overwhelmed and thought we could win a track meet. So which was it? Why did Dr. Pee keep playing fast O instead of doing the D a favor and giving them a break?
My guess would be sometimes it hurts a team more to get out of the normal play style rhythm. Just a guess. I have seen teams slow down before to work the clock and can’t seem to make a play. Didn’t make much of a difference in this case. Probably should’ve used all of the clock.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Curious the number of people that want Collins fired after a year+.

You know who you are, just own it instead of coming up with all the nit-picky complaints.

Do you misunderstand the build we're facing?

I may or may not be me who you are referring.

I am not calling for Collins to be fired. However, CGC needs to be held accountable for the quality of play of his players. This is not CPJ's team. This is his team. He inherited what he inherited.

To keep blaming GPJ seems strange to me.