Clemson Post-game Thread

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So, if Clemson's coaches had our players, and our coaches had their players...What's the score?
If Georgia Tech had the budget to hire Clemson’s coaching staff what’s the score?

Dabo make over $9M per year. GC makes about $3M. Clemson has 9 coaches making $500k+ per year. Tech has 1.

You act like it’s a surprise that Clemson’s coaches are better and more seasoned than Tech’s.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Who cares if the coaches were swapped.... they aren't... Georgia Tech is going to learn the hard way that this isn't going to work. They hired a used car salesman to lead the program.

I told every one who would listen that we should have hired Saban, Bellicik or Dabo when Paul left....but nobody paid any attention at the time. If we had those guys, we would have been the ones lighting up Clemson for 73 today and in position for the playoffs. Y'all shoulda listened.:woot:

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
So answer me this...why did we snap the ball with 20+ seconds remaining on most plays if we were so overmatched? Either Dr. Pee knew we were overmatched but wasn't smart enough to know or care that the D needed rest time, or Dr. Pee doesn't get that we are overwhelmed and thought we could win a track meet. So which was it? Why did Dr. Pee keep playing fast O instead of doing the D a favor and giving them a break?
Because the expectation is that we can make a first down. We play our game expecting to compete. This type of second guessing has the advantage of hindsight. The same question can be asked of any team not waiting for the clock to tick down more against any opponent. P expected to sustain a drive (unrealistically or not), is It really his fault that it didn't happen? Do we modify our offensive gameplay assuming we are going to fail before the ball is snapped?

I'm not arguing that we called a great game. You are right, it serves no purpose to do the hurry up against these guys when the D is tired. I am just saying I am not surprised with the outcome considering the different levels each team is on, and we shouldn't lose our minds this early in the tenure against a championship caliber team. I am in no way trying to say we shouldn't have been a bit smarter with our time management.

That ain't going to happen for 2 reasons first money second our AD put his job on the line signing a 7 year contract.

and now the Braves are losing I hate to think what would it be like if Alabama doesn't win
If Collins needs to go, TStan will HAVE to let him go, or he will be gone too. I will not say yet that Collins NEEDS to go, but I am definitely headed in that direction after today.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It matters to the point so many of you are making that this is simply a talent problem. Really? So Liberty must have better talent than we do I guess.

We have a serious coaching problem and too many of you are in denial. I like CGC. Let's see if he is smart enough to get good coordinators rather than friends.
These types of comments are infuriating. Bottom line, you are not qualified to make that judgment. It's laughable that fans thinks they know more than the professional staff.

You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion as a lay-person is irrelevant. Today was a completed ***-whooping. It happens. We're getting better, and that will be highlighted throughout the rest of the season.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
If Collins needs to go, TStan will HAVE to let him go, or he will be gone too. I will not say yet that Collins NEEDS to go, but I am definitely headed in that direction after today.
To be fair, we beat Louisville 46-27 and Notre Dame beat them 12-7... and that was because Cunningham had to come out because of some weird cramp issues. I know you can't really compare scores because football isn't like that, but at a certain point do you start to think are we on the cusp of being good and it's just Clemson is that much of a monster?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Clemson this year scored 77 on 17 drives or 4.53 points per drive.
Last year they scored 52 on (effectively) 13 drives or 4 points per drive. (they had a 14th drive where they had 1st and 10 when the clock ran out)
In 2018 they scored 49 on 11 drives or 4.54 points per drive.

Guess what, we weren't any more competitive in any of those games and we didn't perform better on defense just because they chose to run it more and decided to air it out today. And no, you don't completely change your offensive pace just to keep the game a 50 point one sided blowout instead. That would achieve nothing.

Scubapro

Banned
If Georgia Tech had the budget to hire Clemson’s coaching staff what’s the score?

Dabo make over $9M per year. GC makes about $3M. Clemson has 9 coaches making $500k+ per year. Tech has 1.

You act like it’s a surprise that Clemson’s coaches are better and more seasoned than Tech’s.
Money is a huge issue but money alone won't solve the issues on the sideline and the press box.
Like 85E said ...Geoff needs to make changes with his coordinators.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If I had to give one simple answer, it would be that Trevor Lawrence seems to be in total control of the offense. As a junior, He seems to just be better this year. If that is even possible, LOL. He just seems to be able to make any play to any player at any time and any place on the field. And then throw in number nine and that kind of seals the deal.
Thanks for that. It was a reasoned answer. First one that really did have some logic & not just fan boy hope & change.
I still believe we have more talent this year & are supposedly stronger & improved per what the coaches have tried to sell, so I have very real concerns about our HC, OC, & DC after this embarrassing performance.

To be fair, we beat Louisville 46-27 and Notre Dame beat them 12-7... and that was because Cunningham had to come out because of some weird cramp issues. I know you can't really compare scores because football isn't like that, but at a certain point do you start to think are we on the cusp of being good and it's just Clemson is that much of a monster?
After the first quarter today, I didn't see any "cusp of being good"

Milwaukee

Banned
Clemson's average margin of victory (Wake, UVA & Miami) was 22
I'm concerned
I hope it doesn't impact recruiting
It won't.
That's exactly what Dabo was doing. He's worried about CGC's reach and wanted to send a message. He did and Collin's isn't man enough to respond.
But you are. :ROFLMAO:
This entire overhaul is a 4 year process to get to respectability. I'm calling this year 1 because last year, I gave CGC a year 0. From what I see now, we're about on track with some winnable games coming up.

Against Clemson, we see the vicious cycle at play. The O can't make a first down because the line is overwhelmed and our TF QB can't connect. So we are 3 and out fast and a tired D comes back in to play and can't keep up. Rinse, repeat for 4 quarters. This is where we are with elite programs and, let's be honest, probably the 2020 champions With the Heisman under center.

We have a new everything here. These guys are going to be quite a bit better in 2 years. We have to give CGC more time. It was always going to be this way.
Co-sign. The AD and the knowledgeable fans know this, and so does our competition for that matter.
So answer me this...why did we snap the ball with 20+ seconds remaining on most plays if we were so overmatched? Either Dr. Pee knew we were overmatched but wasn't smart enough to know or care that the D needed rest time, or Dr. Pee doesn't get that we are overwhelmed and thought we could win a track meet. So which was it? Why did Dr. Pee keep playing fast O instead of doing the D a favor and giving them a break?
I agree with this. I was dumbfounded that we weren't burning clock especially the entire 2nd half where we should've just agreed to a running clock for the 2nd half at halftime. That being said, now that someone agrees with you will you be quiet now? You're spamming about this constantly but I don't see what you're trying to accomplish. We should've used more clock, I think people realize that. So what do you want to do? Does someone agreeing with you about this make it better, what exactly do you want with all your complaining about it?
With the NCAA being lenient about the transfer portal, I hope Gibbs hangs with us. He would be a star on an established team instead of going through a rebuild.
:ROFLMAO: Soft is such an understatement here :ROFLMAO:

Settle down, folks. We got annihilated during a rebuild by the best team in the nation and it sucked really bad to watch. We just gotta take our medicine on this one and move on. The show goes on and we're going to get to the top with this staff; there most definitely will be a few tweaks but the bulk of this staff will get us where we want to be.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Good stuff today - there was a couple of small things: D wasn't horrible in the first quarter. We did get a steal and an interception off Lawrence (I think he had thrown something like 320 passes without an int) GIBBS: he's fun, even when he doesn't get a lot of yardage. He's a star. Harvin - was smart enough not to kick it straight to the returner and did great. That's all I have for good.

I think everyone has covered the embarrassment - and I am shocked it was so bad. Although I literally predicted 76-7 about halfway through the second quarter.

Everyone expected a loss, but not that bad. The coaches caused the score to be 73-7 rather than in the 50s! We have no in-game ability to coach with any sort of strategy!!! Again, we do not understand the clock. If you are down by 40+ points, EAT SOME CLOCK so it doesn't turn into 66 points!

I would have liked to have seen Gleason take some snaps - since we were just playing a scrimmage for Clemson to practice anyway...And, I'm not sold on Sims. He had a great first game. He has some flair, but overall, he hasn't been impressive at all since FSU and has had some really bad games. Gibbs has been consitently electric!

Last edited: