Clemson kickoff

FencePost

Banned
Are you saying that you, personally, are considering constructing a stadium in Savannah, and that this game would be one of the incentives for doing that?

I actually think that could be a winning idea. Not totally convinced about it as there are downsides, but there is definitely a lot to like about it. I'd be for maybe scheduling it there for 4 years and seeing how it goes with the option to continue or discontinue that schedule.
Thanks, Vamos.
There would definitely be a fixed period of years in whatever agreement was made between the schools and the stadium authority, and 4 years is not an unreasonable initial trial period.
To answer your first question, No I'm not personally building a stadium, as the only net benefits to be had from a stadium there, at least initially, would be the promotional and image value gained by the city. However, its public sector construction financing would come from a portion of the hotel-motel tax revenue, half of which is legislatively mandated for promotion and facilities aimed at support of the tourism industry. The number crunching going on is aimed at justifying the cost via the promotional value to the city (televised events) and the net increase in tax revenue which out of area (and in some instances, out of state) attendance produces. However, the direct source of public funding would come from the lodging tax revenue applied within Chatham County and a $50M chip in by the State. The latter is in line with the $500M (current dollars) the state put out to fund the Georgia Dome in Atlanta; making for a similar ratio of metro Savannah's population to that of Atlanta's. It also affords metro area political jurisdictions outside of Chatham/Savannah representation on the stadium authority's board and thus input into its governance.
And, obviously I agree with all you said about the benefits to both the football programs and the fans' experience. I know Waycross fairly well, having spent many summer vacations there as a child, and without a doubt Georgia Tech is about as far afield as Ohio State is to its population. Tech's image could rise in that region by revving up a state pride rivalry with a neighboring South Carolina flagship school.