Clemson Football Game

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
More truth than fiction, but Swinney had those guys in the wings for two years, so it is not like he was looking inward come hell or high water. He has always been involved in onfield calls, witness the barking between him and Venables. It can be to a fault, because at least once I saw him barge into a defensive huddle and override the DC and position coaches. But, yes, he is a different coach and part of our own resident genius's problem is he tried to steal the "culture" without any understanding of it at all. (Imagine Swinney standing at the locker room door telling the players he loves them. If a man has to say he does, he don't and players know it.)
I agree with the first part (about Sweeney). That was really what I was intimating.

The second part (about Collins) is speculations and a little too snarky for me.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the first part (about Sweeney). That was really what I was intimating.

The second part (about Collins) is speculations and a little too snarky for me.
Which parrt: standing at the door professing his love? True. Numerous times. The second? As true as the first time I heard it years ago. as for the culture, ?Collins has done a hummingbird on that after all the criticism.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
Alot of Clemson fans are not so sure he is currently hiring based on the "hire the smartest guys you can and get out of their way" rather than the "friends and family" way. He immediately promoted from within rather than bringing from outside.

Will be interesting to see how they do. Their offense was anemic last year and there could be a real competition between DJ and #1 rated HS QB Klubnik.
Clemson has Hunter Johnson transferring back from Northwestern.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has Hunter Johnson transferring back from Northwestern.
Johnson came in as a 5star but it was evident quickly he was not a player. did okay at Northwestern, not great, but okay. He already has his master's and is at Clemson for a ph.d.Had one year of eligibility left - Covid year -- wanted a GA from Swinney who instead offered him a scholarship to give the QB room depth. He will play very little. Bit more than Klubniik, but not much. Swinney is rolling the dice with last year's guy. We will see. Makes you really appreciate how good Lawrence was.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Which parrt: standing at the door professing his love? True. Numerous times. The second? As true as the first time I heard it years ago. as for the culture, ?Collins has done a hummingbird on that after all the criticism.
This part: "...part of our own resident genius's problem is he tried to steal the "culture" without any understanding of it at all." Pure speculation on your part and not really relevant to the discussion.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You know, programs around the country routinely have this turnover and not a word is said about it. These new guys are really good. Ask Iowa State. (The OC, down to walkons as wide receivers, revamped his game plan to make running backs his receivers and actually got a good game out of the QB. Defense? Well ... On defense the difference will be that Venables was a yeller and a screamer and refused to play a deep bench because he wanted experience for his very complex defense. The new guy will go deep early.

It is not inconceivable that Clemson will be NC contenders again.
"...Venables was a yeller and a screamer..." Does this mean the get back coach is out of a job? I know he (Venables) was very good but did not understand that the complexity of his defense was a factor in keeping the first string in so much. In any case, it worked.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Johnson came in as a 5star but it was evident quickly he was not a player. did okay at Northwestern, not great, but okay. He already has his master's and is at Clemson for a ph.d.Had one year of eligibility left - Covid year -- wanted a GA from Swinney who instead offered him a scholarship to give the QB room depth. He will play very little. Bit more than Klubniik, but not much. Swinney is rolling the dice with last year's guy. We will see. Makes you really appreciate how good Lawrence was.
Must have been quite a let down for Wildcat fans. A bona fide 5 star at Northwestern is scarce as hen's teeth and then the bum ends up looking like Tarzan and playing like Jane.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This part: "...part of our own resident genius's problem is he tried to steal the "culture" without any understanding of it at all." Pure speculation on your part and not really relevant to the discussion.
He was the guy selling culture with no explanation and who flipped to talk about football the closer he got to the exit ramp.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
"...Venables was a yeller and a screamer..." Does this mean the get back coach is out of a job? I know he (Venables) was very good but did not understand that the complexity of his defense was a factor in keeping the first string in so much. In any case, it worked.
Yep. He does not trust his bench to grasp the defense. What is complex I don't know but apparently it is. So he wound up every year with 4 and 5star recruits riding the bench. (This is not sour grapes. I think he is a terrific coach.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Saw Lawrence in his first game at gt.
I think they ran left a couple of times but still had a passing down and distance. Any way he was rolling left then looked right. He thru it all the way across the field on a line. Unbelievable.
Saw Klubnek at Texas playoffs. He didn't show a cannon, but can read a defense, be very accurate and has quick release, but not tall. Will watch how spring training goes at clemson.