Clemson, Baseball

How many games will GT win versus Clemson?

Votes: 10 30.3%

Votes: 18 54.5%

Votes: 5 15.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Unearned win is sweeter. Wouldn't have gone to extra innings without the CF error. We pitched really well all night and just weren't getting RISP hits.

Now need to win the series tomorrow, I hope that the RISP works out and we have more runs than LOB ........
Wouldn't have gone to extras if our pitching staff had given up more than 3 runs either. By that metric alone. ... well-deserved win to start the weekend.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting stats. Most important is 4-3 ACC.

Most impressive is 3 ER. We didn't do that against lowly ranked teams. Once against Tenn Tech, uGag and ND each and more 18 times!

Not impressive was overall 57% pitches - 7 walks and 2 HBP, but that was balanced by only 4 hits allowed. I don't think we can get to the NCAAs that way. But we can live with the opponent getting .118 BA. And we can live with Vaughan 2.1 IP 0 ER NO HIT / HBP and Busse 2.0 IP 0 ER NO HIT / HBP. We threw a lot of pitches 208 that may come back on us, but got the win. Busse at 37 may be able to pitch 1.0 Sunday if needed, he's said he did that a lot in JuCo.

Also not impressive was our O. .269 BA. And RISP was similarly low at .222. We did get 11 hits and 7 walks. We were unfortunate in that we had left 12 on base after 9. So hopefully we get on track today because

The D was good in some areas and missed some plays that shoulda been made IMHO. Overall average, Clemson had the error at the end which everyone focuses on. In my reality, the errors at the beginning of the game matter as much too since they reduce the number of batters and pitches and runs count the same regardless of inning. But emotionally, Clemson error B9 with 2 outs was a gift that I'm glad we didn't give back.

1679743909441.png

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Another huge game today. We're rolling out Schmolke & frankly I'm not sure what to make of him. Great outing against ND, not so good on the games bookending that one.

When we win, we're sitting pretty good with Finley Sunday with a chance to really move up the standings.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Way to grind out a win, boys. I don’t remember a lot of recent games where we have been able to just keep grinding (as opposed to bludgeoning) for a come from behind win. The pitching & defense did enough to let us hang around until ‘gelo could rescue us. I think wiley said that’s the first game we won when trailing after 8 since 2020. Let’s go get another today!

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand the negativity this early in the season. We just won 1/3 at Louisville, which is a top 10 team in the country regardless of which poll you prefer. We could have won 2/3. It was there for our taking...

This team has a lot of young players that have not yet reached their potential. On the offensive side and the defense/pitching side. When they do, let's GO!!!
That just kind of what this fan base does. Constantly looking for reasons to be disappointed instead of just letting the season play out before making any judgements.

There are more conference games to play (23) then the amount of total games played so far this year (22). We'll have eight months to bemoan the state of our 'terrible' baseball program. I'll never understand why some are so eager to do so after only a month of play. Baseball is a vibes sport. My plan, not that anyone cares, is to relax, try and enjoy the games, and see where we're at in a couple weeks. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to live and die with every game.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
That just kind of what this fan base does. Constantly looking for reasons to be disappointed instead of just letting the season play out before making any judgements.

There are more conference games to play (23) then the amount of total games played so far this year (22). We'll have eight months to bemoan the state of our 'terrible' baseball program. I'll never understand why some are so eager to do so after only a month of play. Baseball is a vibes sport. My plan, not that anyone cares, is to relax, try and enjoy the games, and see where we're at in a couple weeks. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to live and die with every game.
d9lrmi7-61dfdeaa-dab4-4f72-a257-2f55a4aa451a.png

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Most of the bitching is agenda driven. Some folks don’t like Hall and Borrell and every opportunity that presents itself it’s open season. Same deal with played out Chan, Paul and Josh.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So I guess I don’t understand the run rule. I thought they switched to if you were up 10 at the end of 7 that was ball game. Or is that only is certain conferences? Obviously ring up 13 at the end of 6 would have triggered that.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
So I guess I don’t understand the run rule. I thought they switched to if you were up 10 at the end of 7 that was ball game. Or is that only is certain conferences? Obviously ring up 13 at the end of 6 would have triggered that.
By conference or when mutally adopted by both teams. ACC has not adopted it conference wide, SEC has.

We didn't even run agree to rule ND up 11 after 7,with a 2nd game of a double header to follow. Makes me think we won't see it at all in ACC play this year.