Clemson, Baseball

How many games will GT win versus Clemson?

Votes: 10 30.3%

Votes: 18 54.5%

Votes: 5 15.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Game times 6PM, 4PM and 1PM per usual and the weather will be much much better. Wet field but low chance of rain.
1679517872521.png

With RPI at ~69 and 35% of the season gone, we are digging a hole to get to the NCAAs. Or said another way, there is nothing in our resume so far to justify an NCAA bid.
1679483765123.png

Clemson has a 47 RPI so a series win Clemson would help some but we have to win since we are at home to not slip further in RPI. Here's Clemson's record so far which like ours is not strong against top teams. Looking at Clemson's resume, I wouldn't give them an NCAA bid either if the season ended today. (Details here https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2023/schedule/Clemson ) So winning the series will help marginally, losing will be digging a deeper hole.

1679517123090.png

Last week in their first ACC series, they lost to Duke @home. Also, they have a game tonight against Kennesaw State and will need to use some pitching for that.
1679517730512.png

We need to start playing like a team which has 3 consecutive top 20 recruiting classes (8, 17, 3). But then I looked at Clemson (22, 8, 14) and realized they have a lot of recruited talent and haven't been playing top 20. This of course doesn't consider transfers who we have had contribute mightily to our team last year and this year.

I went with 2 wins since we are at home and somewhat evenly matched.

Attachments

• 1679517215384.png
    1679517215384.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 6

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping we are able to take two this weekend. Honestly, I don’t see us making the NCAAs. The trajectory isn’t good, 5-7 since the UGA series.

Keep the expectations low and try and enjoy the ride.

Hope this doesn’t turn into a “settle for mediocracy” discussion. I mainly keep my expectations low for my own mental health.😬

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping we are able to take two this weekend. Honestly, I don’t see us making the NCAAs. The trajectory isn’t good, 5-7 since the UGA series.

Keep the expectations low and try and enjoy the ride.

Hope this doesn’t turn into a “settle for mediocracy” discussion. I mainly keep my expectations low for my own mental health.😬
I don't understand the negativity this early in the season. We just won 1/3 at Louisville, which is a top 10 team in the country regardless of which poll you prefer. We could have won 2/3. It was there for our taking...

This team has a lot of young players that have not yet reached their potential. On the offensive side and the defense/pitching side. When they do, let's GO!!!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand the negativity this early in the season. We just won 1/3 at Louisville, which is a top 10 team in the country regardless of which poll you prefer. We could have won 2/3. It was there for our taking...

This team has a lot of young players that have not yet reached their potential. On the offensive side and the defense/pitching side. When they do, let's GO!!!
I sure hope it happens (this year). I suppose I am a bit of a pessimist when it comes to Tech athletics. You see "almost" taking 2 out of 3 from Louisville. I see losing 5 of our last 6.

I do agree that this team is a different team than last years team. Our sophomore pitchers are becoming veterans and I do see hope in the way they are improving. I also see hope in progress that at least one of our Freshman pitchers seems to be making. Just not sure that we can complete the metamorphosis fast enough this year to get to where we want to be. Stranger things have happened and I will be thrilled if they do.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
....... Keep the expectations low and try and enjoy the ride. .....

....... Just not sure that we can complete the metamorphosis fast enough this year to get to where we want to be. Stranger things have happened and I will be thrilled if they do.

This is exactly where I am.

Now if we sweep Clemson I'll be manic. If we get swept I'll be depressed; all by the actions of late teen / early 20's guys playing a game. Not rational. But fun most of the time.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure you can just walk up to the ticket window and pick up a couple with no problem.
That’s what I do every year. My wife and I often decide to go on spur of the moment and we’ve had no problem getting either bench or chairback seats at the ticket window.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

If I based my expectations on what could have done instead of what we usually do, I would have picked three wins instead of just one. Until we get new head coach and pitching coach, I will temper my expectations.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Game times 6PM, 4PM and 1PM per usual and the weather will be much much better. Wet field but low chance of rain.
View attachment 14177

With RPI at ~69 and 35% of the season gone, we are digging a hole to get to the NCAAs. Or said another way, there is nothing in our resume so far to justify an NCAA bid.
View attachment 14173

Clemson has a 47 RPI so a series win Clemson would help some but we have to win since we are at home to not slip further in RPI. Here's Clemson's record so far which like ours is not strong against top teams. Looking at Clemson's resume, I wouldn't give them an NCAA bid either if the season ended today. (Details here https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2023/schedule/Clemson ) So winning the series will help marginally, losing will be digging a deeper hole.

View attachment 14174

Last week in their first ACC series, they lost to Duke @home. Also, they have a game tonight against Kennesaw State and will need to use some pitching for that.
View attachment 14176

We need to start playing like a team which has 3 consecutive top 20 recruiting classes (8, 17, 3). But then I looked at Clemson (22, 8, 14) and realized they have a lot of recruited talent and haven't been playing top 20. This of course doesn't consider transfers who we have had contribute mightily to our team last year and this year.

I went with 2 wins since we are at home and somewhat evenly matched.
Rain overnight Friday and not coming back until Saturday night. I think we'll be dodging three bullets this weekend, weatherwise

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well glad to see no Clemson fans came on here to say we were going to get swept. Implied about 2-1/4 wins. Sure hope so.

I should have put a poll in for how many runs it'll be before Hall/DBo pull our starter. Tonight for Dawson it looks close to my slow hook 5 ER rule of thumb (4 fingers and a thumb is 5). Also I'd guess 4.0 IP is his max effective length. It'll depend on how many strikes he throws and Clemson's plate discipline / fouling off ability whether he can go further.

No ragging on Dawson, but when we play any good team, it's hard to get to 5.0 IP since they are like us and extend some of the ABs. A few 8 or 9 pitch ABs goes a long way to getting to the reliever. Especially in the stretch.

1679693491888.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unearned win is sweeter. Wouldn't have gone to extra innings without the CF error. We pitched really well all night and just weren't getting RISP hits.

Now need to win the series tomorrow, I hope that the RISP works out and we have more runs than LOB ........

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Unearned win is sweeter. Wouldn't have gone to extra innings without the CF error. We pitched really well all night and just weren't getting RISP hits.

Now need to win the series tomorrow, I hope that the RISP works out and we have more runs than LOB ........
Offense has struggled last three games, especially with RISP. But just too many quality hitters in the lineup for that to last too long. Hopefully tomorrow and Sunday are big days for the offense to bust out again.

Almost wasted a great start by Dawson, but DeSpigna to the rescue late.