Clemson at Russ Chandler

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is up next. I did some critical research. Looking at the last 4 years… I looked up the NIT Champion (yeah, I had to look it up… hard to believe, isn’t it?)

From there, I checked how the NIT Champion’s counterpart in baseball did in the weekend series following the NIT Championship game. Here is the data:

2013: Baylor 2-1
2014: Minnesota 2-1
2015: Stanford 0-3
2016: George Washington 2-1

The analysis here is pretty simple… I mean it’s not like we’re splitting atoms are anything like that, right? @GTNavyNuke

The odds are very HUGE that we will take the series against Clemson this weekend. Ladies & Gentlemen…. you are welcome.

I did not look at results for NIT Runner-ups... well, because that would be silly.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I just have a strong gut feeling that the pitching will show up this weekend (especially if Ben S pitches on Sunday and Shadday pitches Saturday) and we will win 2 out of 3 with all 3 being close games.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys do look alike threads ..... like that other board ..... or is that too immature for this board?

Hope we wear these guys out over the weekend, but right now, all I can do is hope. Not giving them up for dead yet, but haven't seen much lately to give much confidence that we will suddenly turn it on.

Also, noted that they only have 9 Georgia players on their roster. only 2 or 3 that are "significant" contributors (several pitchers with mid-teens IP but good ERAs). With all the talk about how we should be boot stomping everyone because we are in Atlanta, the hotbed for HS/Club baseball, I find it interesting that the hi-flying Tigers are not "loaded" with metro Atlanta talent??

HTOBXAUAEJVWHDX.20161207202330.jpg
georgia-tech-outfielder-coleman-poje-hit-a-home-run-during-a-college-picture-id653442316
upload_2017-3-30_17-12-48.jpeg

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Rough 4th inning---they scored 5 all with 2 outs.

Down 6-1 in T5.
Curry is going to be a stud for us down the road (probably next year), but I'm tired of losing Friday night games. I think that Hall needs to move Ryan to Friday night starter and move Curry to closer because he definitely has the stuff.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
We're last in the Coastal at 3-7, headed for 3-9. How is it that most of our good pitchers are hurt year after year, and the rest are no good?

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming the WF/Miami score holds in the 9th, Miami will have scored 10 more runs against us in 3 games (32 runs) than in their 7 other ACC games combined (22 runs).

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel like this is 3 or 4 years in a row with a weekend starter out for the season (English this year). Frustrating for sure.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The offensive (pun intended) sequence in bottom of 3rd is the kind of thing that is happening way too much. Lead off single by 7th hitter (Wilhite) followed by single for Peurifoy. Runners on corners with no one out. Perfect start to set up big inning. Decision to bunt here. I'm not a huge fan.... but I won't quibble. However, we failed to execute the SAC on 2 attempts. Result... swinging K. Now... top of order is up. Still plenty damage can be done. Single by Craport scores Wilhite. Things looking good with 2-3-4 batters in line. Strikeout looking on full count. Ground out. Inning over with one run. Need to make innings like that turn into early hooks for opposing starters. The offense is the one area I expect us to "win" battles.

Ok. Rant over. Rah Rah... just win next one. ...and the one after that.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
The offensive (pun intended) sequence in bottom of 3rd is the kind of thing that is happening way too much. Lead off single by 7th hitter (Wilhite) followed by single for Peurifoy. Runners on corners with no one out. Perfect start to set up big inning. Decision to bunt here. I'm not a huge fan.... but I won't quibble. However, we failed to execute the SAC on 2 attempts. Result... swinging K. Now... top of order is up. Still plenty damage can be done. Single by Craport scores Wilhite. Things looking good with 2-3-4 batters in line. Strikeout looking on full count. Ground out. Inning over with one run. Need to make innings like that turn into early hooks for opposing starters. The offense is the one area I expect us to "win" battles.

Ok. Rant over. Rah Rah... just win next one. ...and the one after that.

I hear yah!!! It's one thing to call for a bunt in that situ and can be argued either way. However, it's entirely unacceptable not to be able to execute it.......
I have to give Bailey & Bart a pass in the case. They are both hitting around .350 & have OBP of mid .400s and have been clutch for us for the most part all year. Didn't see it but from the call on REK sounds like the Clemson dude just made a really good pitch on Bailey. Baseball is hard. Hitting is harder. If you are successful 1 out of 3 times you are really good. I gotta believe also that the hitters are feeling some extra pressure in those situations, knowing with our pitching being what it is that they really need to produce. Maybe causing them to try and do to much?? Maybe Bart grounded out swinging at a pitch he might not normally have swung at??

I don't know how you "coach" performing in the clutch? I don't think you do. I think some player naturally are better in those situations and success breeds confidence. Im gonna go look for some stats of our performance w RISP.

What continues to disappoint (us all) is control issues. Three walks in the fourth for Clemson. They end up scoring 5 runs after two out w/ nobody on base ...... I gotta be honest, I lost interest in the game after that point. Sounds like our pen wasn't that good either (or should I say again).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hear yah!!! It's one thing to call for a bunt in that situ and can be argued either way. However, it's entirely unacceptable not to be able to execute it.......
I have to give Bailey & Bart a pass in the case. They are both hitting around .350 & have OBP of mid .400s and have been clutch for us for the most part all year. Didn't see it but from the call on REK sounds like the Clemson dude just made a really good pitch on Bailey. Baseball is hard. Hitting is harder. If you are successful 1 out of 3 times you are really good. I gotta believe also that the hitters are feeling some extra pressure in those situations, knowing with our pitching being what it is that they really need to produce. Maybe causing them to try and do to much?? Maybe Bart grounded out swinging at a pitch he might not normally have swung at??

I don't know how you "coach" performing in the clutch? I don't think you do. I think some player naturally are better in those situations and success breeds confidence. Im gonna go look for some stats of our performance w RISP.

What continues to disappoint (us all) is control issues. Three walks in the fourth for Clemson. They end up scoring 5 runs after two out w/ nobody on base ...... I gotta be honest, I lost interest in the game after that point. Sounds like our pen wasn't that good either (or should I say again).
Great post. It was a good pitch to Bailey. ...and I give Wilhite, Bailey, Craport, & Bart (no particular order) tons of credit for a great season at plate thus far. Was just trying to point out one specific situational hitting example that too often seems to occur. There is a quality opponent out there trying to prevent us from being successful too.

You sort of started down this road; but one big concern I have for this group now is whether they do begin to "press" too much. ... particularly at the plate; but on mound as well. For example... today, Shadday needs to NOT do that. Stay within himself.... to use a cliche that has no real meaning for me. o_O

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Shadday having a "career" day. 103 pitches through 6 and a 5-1 lead.

So much for a pitch count when we're desperate for a win.

Another Fr starting tomorrow?

Last edited: