Clemson 41 - GT 10

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
We can debate good/bad signs of "progress" all we want.

All that the rest of the CFB world cares about is:
Clem 41 - Ga Tech 10
Ga Tech 0-1 0-1
TCG 9-26

11 more chances to find enough wins in 2022 season.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, preseason polls are the East German judges at the Olympics. Just predictable and agenda driven. Clemson will fin ish no higher than 8th and possible out if the top ten. They’ll win a lot of games but someone will get them and once they lose to an ACC team the pollsters will drop them like a rock. They just don’t have the offensive or defensive playmakers they use to have. Bresee is their lone top 10 draft pick and they don’t appear to have another first rounder. The days of having 2 NFL recievers, a n NFL RB, QB, and DB are over at Clemson. Those guys are now at UGA.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We had a late arriving crowd but up through the fluke toss-with your knee an inch off the ground to a rb just hanging out after a failed black play, Id say we had a majority of fans (slim majority but a majority regardless) Im sure alot of seats were sold by Tech "fans" and add in an 8pm kick on a school/work night several clempson and Tech fans just didnt show up. But the air went out of our sail on that fluke play and the CT ejection ripped our sails.
Agree 👍

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
My first instinct is to dismiss that as sloppy analysis from Ken Suguira. However, our offense didn’t hold up its side of the bargain last night.
He definitely didn’t go deep, but you kind of don’t need to when you have the worst third down conversion rate on them of any Power Five team in 7 years. Now, to be fair he should give us credit for converting the two fourth downs, and a large part of why we couldn’t convert was penalties that put us in near impossible situations.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You don’t remember the Kelly Bryant/Trevor Lawrence situation at Clemson?

edit: @GTLorenzo beat me to it
I do and you have a good point, but I think Kelly was a pretty decent QB for Clemson before Lawrence came along, whereas DJU was pretty bad last season and I have to think they would be a little more eager to replace him if they had another 1st round QB on the sidelines. Time will tell.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Not everyone finds them humorous. Crack a joke once, it's funny. Keep it going repeatedly and it becomes obnoxious.
To be fair, and truly not speaking for myself here since I don’t care. But if keeping a joke going repeatedly could be considered obnoxious and unnecessary content, and our goal is legitimate content. Then, repeated gifs regarding being on a “list” and posts about your wife’s cooking could also fall under this umbrella.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, and truly not speaking for myself here since I don’t care. But if keeping a joke going repeatedly could be considered obnoxious and unnecessary content, and our goal is legitimate content. Then, repeated gifs regarding being on a “list” and posts about your wife’s cooking could also fall under this umbrella.
Not really

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

True. I stopped finding them funny a long time ago. There is a difference though. Both of those are tongue in cheek, whereas the constant snipes against either the current coaching staff, the former coaching staff, or posters supporting either staff aren't really "jokes" to begin with, and most often are designed to enflame those with whom you disagree. You can express opinions and even disagree with the staff without demeaning either them or the fans that support them. That's the goal, but we often fall far short of it.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I’m hopeful as well, but I’m not sure a team with a coach with as poor a game management skills as we have can get about .500 - and at least not consistently. We will consistently lose close games for this reason, and unless you’re elite (like real elite, not the hype kind) you don’t blow everyone out - which means you have to win close games. Every attempt we get will be an uphill battle.

I think the frustration from last night lies largely in the game management issues, penalties, and blocked punts. All of those things should have been avoided, and if they had been I believe we would have had a chance to win the game. Instead we lose by 32.
This really sums it all up for me. I haven’t felt like this previously during the CGC, but I now feel we have the players and individual coaching (sans OL) to be competitive. But, it feels like CGC is holding this team back during games. You have the give him the credit for pitching the transfers and new coaches on joining the program. But he’s not a new coach anymore.

For those of you defending CGC letting the clock run out in the first half, it’s embarrassing. It’s chicken shi t football. Make Clemson punt and at least run a draw or something before sitting on it. That’s the definition of playing not to lose, even the announcers knew it. And our fan base is smarter than this - no one should defend that decision, and I haven’t seen anyone who has provide a legitimate argument. No one thought we’d try to drive the field if they pinned us. It’s about sending a message. And our players were hanging their head walking into the locker room at half - even putting up a huge fight down 11 points to the #4 team in the nation.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
yep,BAD BAD game.Why in the world would he be in on that first play to block a monster DE? er,We only have 4 other TEs on scholly.
I see why Syracuse "lost" him. Also-you forgot when he caught a pass was tackled, fumbled but it went out of bounds.
He did catch one pass though,whoppee.
Oh I didn’t forget about that. Just chose not the to keep burying the guy…even though my post did kinda bury him 🤷🏿

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
True. I stopped finding them funny a long time ago. There is a difference though. Both of those are tongue in cheek, whereas the constant snipes against either the current coaching staff, the former coaching staff, or posters supporting either staff aren't really "jokes" to begin with, and most often are designed to enflame those with whom you disagree. You can express opinions and even disagree with the staff without demeaning either them or the fans that support them. That's the goal, but we often fall far short of it.
I agree that it’s a key difference. But, I do think the ultimate goal should still be content that adds to the board, not takes up space. Again though, it’s not a big deal to me personally.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Oh I didn’t forget about that. Just chose not the to keep burying the guy…even though my post did kinda bury him 🤷🏿
Yeah, even the catch he did have, he bobbled. He graded out as the second-lowest player on the team (Akelo Stone) and lowest on offense. But, I’m hopeful it was nerves and the camp reports about him were true. Anyone know why Dylan Leonard didn’t play?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree that it’s a key difference. But, I do think the ultimate goal should still be content that adds to the board, not takes up space. Again though, it’s not a big deal to me personally.

This is what we are after. A good joke or a bit of levity after a loss is understandable, though, and it can add to the board. Unfortunately, it ends up becoming a flame war because it's never told just once.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
This really sums it all up for me. I haven’t felt like this previously during the CGC, but I now feel we have the players and individual coaching (sans OL) to be competitive. But, it feels like CGC is holding this team back during games. You have the give him the credit for pitching the transfers and new coaches on joining the program. But he’s not a new coach anymore.

For those of you defending CGC letting the clock run out in the first half, it’s embarrassing. It’s chicken shi t football. Make Clemson punt and at least run a draw or something before sitting on it. That’s the definition of playing not to lose, even the announcers knew it. And our fan base is smarter than this - no one should defend that decision, and I haven’t seen anyone who has provide a legitimate argument. No one thought we’d try to drive the field if they pinned us. It’s about sending a message. And our players were hanging their head walking into the locker room at half - even putting up a huge fight down 11 points to the #4 team in the nation.
That would be the correct strategy if you had more players than your opponent and because of that your game strategy was to extend the game. It would be the wrong strategy if your opponent had more players and your strategy was to shorten the game by running the clock.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
The score is misleading. Doesn't mean Clemson didn't earn it, but I thought we played a better game than what the final score indicated.

1. REALLY proud of our DL. That's probably the best I've seen our DL played since CGC has been here. If you want to know the difference between UGA/Bama/Ohio State/etc and team like GT, it's depth. Clemson could rotate 5 and 4 star guys, and we're rotating guys we have to develop over time. Our DL looked like a modern day DL as well...we looked the part. Had Jared Ivey and Jordan Domenick stayed, this could have looked completely different. Apparently Keion White can play inside as well, with that flexibility and having the option of using Ivey and Domenick to keep guys fresh would have been HUGE. Kudos to the guys that played last night...absolute monster effort.

2. Speaking of Keion White, he's a player. Sylvain Yondjouen is also a player. LOTS of guys on the DL were players last night...just those two stood out to me. Credit to Collins on this: He saw a weakness on the right side of Clemson's OL and he exploited it all game.

3. I though Eley played a heck of game as well. He was in the backfield a LOT.

4. Chaos...we created a LOT of chaos in their backfield. I don't think DJU was comfortable at all most of the night...and that's because we were getting pressure and our secondary played well enough on the back end to give our DL time to create pressure. It all works together.

5. I keep seeing that if Klubnik had played, Clemson would have made it worse. Maybe, but when Klubnik went in, we were gassed. It's a lot easier for fresh legs to run around when it's against guys with heavy legs gasping for air.

6. Our offense was its own worst enemy last night. It's like we would take one step forward, then take one step back. Penalties and dropped passes hurt us...a lot.

7. If you can't tell the difference between Chip Long and Patenaude, then you don't know football. I thought Long, overall, called a good game. That first play call wasn't bad at all, McCollum had a step on the DB, Sims just couldn't step into his throw because a defender was in his face. You have to take shots against a team like Clemson, and sometime they don't work out. What I liked overall about Long's play calling was he understood Sims weaknesses, and he also understood the pressure Clemson put on our OL...we couldn't run complicated route trees where Sims had to stay in the pocket to run through progressions. Lots of screens, quick dump offs, quick passes. We had guys open a lot...but again, Clemson's front line caused Sims to have to adjust so he didn't exactly have time to set and find guys. One thing I would have liked to see more of was moving Sims around like Clemson did with DJU in the 2nd half (BTW, if the offense starts moving the QB around, that means your defense is doing something right) and with Klubnik. Buy Sims time or give him the option to take off.

8. Sims was definitely more accurate, and some of our receivers didn't help him, but he definitely had moments of the old Sims. We have to remember, first game in a new offense, with a new person in his ear, against the one of the best defenses in the country. I thought he played well given that.

9. Nate McCollum looked GOOD. He's going to be a problem in the slot.

10. I also thought Smith looked good at RB as well. Very shifty and explosive in short spaces. Not fair to judge our RBs against Clemson though.

11. Jenkins is a TE trying to play WR. If he ever decides to give TE full concentration, he will be a VERY good pro prospect.

12. Clemson's DL is very similar to UGA's DL last year. Everyone on the DL is playing in the NFL, and there are multiple high round draft picks there. It was always going to be a tough job for our mix and match OL. It's going to be tough job for a LOT of DLs on Clemson's schedule this year.

13. CGC... :facepalm:
7. Amen, looked like plays were run in practice and not stolen from watching another teams game.

9. Yes and agree. I thought one WR did not play with much urgency and fire.

11. Long might figure he can make EJ another chase claypool.