Clempson completes the sweep.....

GTfan1977

Banned
in all of the big three sports. We went 0-6 this year vs the Tigs in football, basketball, and baseball, we used to beat these guys on a regular basis and now they are on a different level. I don't see this changing anytime soon....pretty sad that GT's Hill has handicapped us to a degree that we are no longer competitive with the likes of Clemson

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
in all of the big three sports. We went 0-6 this year vs the Tigs in football, basketball, and baseball, we used to beat these guys on a regular basis and now they are on a different level. I don't see this changing anytime soon....pretty sad that GT's Hill has handicapped us to a degree that we are no longer competitive with the likes of Clemson
Time for a new Baseball coach

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
78-101 (78-104 counting the Clemson Series) in the ACC over the past 6 seasons (6 seasons plus 3 games). I couldn't care less about baseball, wouldn't attend the games if they were in my backyard BUT why we put up with this kind of mediocrity is freaking beyond me. A 44% winning percentage is not good and is grounds for firing

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
78-101 (78-104 counting the Clemson Series) in the ACC over the past 6 seasons (6 seasons plus 3 games). I couldn't care less about baseball, wouldn't attend the games if they were in my backyard BUT why we put up with this kind of mediocrity is freaking beyond me. A 44% winning percentage is not good and is grounds for firing

It is sad that any Tech fan “couldn’t care less about (fill in a sport), wouldn’t attend the games if they were in (his) backyard”, yet is so passionate about firing that sport’s coach. For those who complain about the state of Tech’s athletics, that commentor’s post is probably as illustrative an insight as any...

GTfan1977

Banned
Clemson had 5000 people at each baseball game this weekend. The Clemson fans have a product worth their time to support.

We have lousy attendance.

Probably having a lousy product for the last nine years + lame duck coach full of nepotism is a reason we have lousy attendance ?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Probably having a lousy product for the last nine years + lame duck coach full of nepotism is a reason we have lousy attendance ?

I was just sticking to facts. We've had enough posts about Hall that I'll wait till the end of the season to voice my opinion again. Hopefully it will change when we go to the CWS. :muted:

I think the Carter kids are legit ACC players so there isn't nepotism. They were both drafted out of HS. A lot of our players aren't.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
It is sad that any Tech fan “couldn’t care less about (fill in a sport), wouldn’t attend the games if they were in (his) backyard”, yet is so passionate about firing that sport’s coach. For those who complain about the state of Tech’s athletics, that commentor’s post is probably as illustrative an insight as any...

Lets make sure we are clear on one thing skippy. I wouldn't go to any baseball game, Pro, Amateur, GT or the naked supermodel baseball league if the tickets were free, I had front row seats and the beer was being served via IV. The game is a bore and is good for one thing, inducing naps.

That said, if you don't think Danny hall should be fired after the 6 year abortion that is GT baseball then you are probably the type who says well we tried, everyone did their best and lets all grab a juice box and a participation trophy.

The program has become a complete joke and it is damn time we quit settling for mediocrity.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
We recruit really well in baseball, academics isn't and hasn't been the issue.

It is not so much academics (granted that is a large part of our recruiting woes) but there is the perceived indifference bordering on hostility on the part of Georgia Tech administration towards athletics in general and football in particular. During Coach Johnson's tenure we have an overall record of 76 wins to 54 losses which given the recruiting restrictions is borderline miraculous. Of the 27 losses, according to my back of envelope liberal arts mathematics, half of them are attributed to our "BIG FOUR" rivals of UGA, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Clemson. Good teams all with generally good coaches and typically top 25 or better recruiting rankings compared to our top 50 or better rankings. Most of the time in a season we will go 1-3 against them. If we have a really bad year it will be 0-4. I had the exact numbers last night and seem to have misplaced them but it would appear that we have done the best against Virginia Tech but even then have a losing record over the 10 season span.

Some of those losses were very competitive going into the fourth quarter (last year's loss to Miami comes to mind) a few of them were total blow outs but not as many as might be suspected with such a decided athletic edge to our opponents. The wonder of it all is that we are as competitive as we have been given the obstacles our coaches have to deal with. At one time we lost 5 in a row to Miami and some of those Miami teams just were not all that great. Plenty of talent to be sure but they were not well coached and were getting abused by some teams but they always seem to play well against us.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

You really think that Clemson'$ ri$e in athletic$ ha$ anything to do with academic$??

We've been competitive in football, basketball, baseball, golf etc. at a high level with fewer majors than we have now. The difference is that we had an athletic director that knew how to raise money and how to manage an athletic department.

I am so sick of the academic excuses. Tech fans need to demand more from the GTAA and stop making excuses---then support the GTAA when they ask for help.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You really think that Clemson'$ ri$e in athletic$ ha$ anything to do with academic$??

We've been competitive in football, basketball, baseball, golf etc. at a high level with fewer majors than we have now. The difference is that we had an athletic director that knew how to raise money and how to manage an athletic department.

I am so sick of the academic excuses. Tech fans need to demand more from the GTAA and stop making excuses---then support the GTAA when they ask for help.
While I don't disagree with the GTAA needing to step up its game (and it appears to be doing so under TS), I think you are absolutely kidding yourself if you thin our academic restrictions, and basic environment insisting on *some* level of student-athletes, when most fo the major colleges around us have abandoned all pretense of academics mattering, is affecting our relative performance. As the $$$ involved in success mount up, the pressure to 'cheat' mounts up, and most big time college athletic departments have abandoned all principles with the quiet approval of their academic overseers to go all in on sports. Recruiting 125 kids in 5 years when only 85 can be on scholarship is a sign of this mentality. The "scandals" in college basketball about paying players is another sign...and what is even more a sign is the fact that many people are simply arguing to change the rules ot reflect the reality on the ground. Money talks, and college athletics has continued to grow into big time money machines, and GT has NOT gotten on board with that the way all of our rivals have. Even with an active and well managed GTAA we will not be able to effectively compete with the factories. Those who continue with the false argument about how we were able to do so 20 years ago fail to understand the reality of today and close their eyes to what is necessary to compete.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Every school has advantages and disadvantages when it comes to recruiting. Clemson has the disadvantage of being in rural SC and few African American students. We have the advantage of being in Atlanta. We have an academic advantage for the right prospect and a disadvantage for others.

But you don't fish for blue marlin in a lake. If you look at the football recruiting footprint, it's the equivalent of doing just that (and running an offense that kids don't want to play in).

GT's problem is money. Homer Rice was a fund raiser. He retired with the GTAA in good financial shape. Braine sat on his fat butt in his remodeled office and spent money and didn't raise money--and gave stupid coaching contracts. Radakovich spent money, mostly for good purposes, but left with a lot of debt on the books. We then went for a few years without an AD.

Clemson figured out how to overcome their disadvantages, even if they are not playing by the rules. We need to figure out how to play by the rules and overcome disadvantages. It can be done, but it takes money we don't currently have. So step one is fund raising. If the Hill is a problem, that's where it lies. They don't want to compete with the GTAA for donations.

I'm sick of the academic excuse as exemplified by the OP. Every time we lose to an opponent it's automatically the Hill's fault-- according to a lot of so called fans that don't see the advantages GT has. That's just stupid.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm sick of the academic excuse as exemplified by the OP. Every time we lose to an opponent it's automatically the Hill's fault-- according to a lot of so called fans that don't see the advantages GT has. That's just stupid.

The Hill absolutely does not have a great relationship with the GTAA. Last time I checked the two groups were refusing to share data on who had donated and alumni lists and the like. Makes it much harder for the GTAA to raise money.....

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The Hill absolutely does not have a great relationship with the GTAA. Last time I checked the two groups were refusing to share data on who had donated and alumni lists and the like. Makes it much harder for the GTAA to raise money.....

Once again, it goes back to the AD. Homer Rice built a relationship with the academics. He even raised money for them. We've had 20 years of knuckleheads in the AD's seat----which is the root of all of our problems.
I hope Stansbury can turn it around, but I am less confident in him than I was a year ago.