Class of 2022 - Baseball Commits

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
Last edited:

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
this list is going to blow! There is huge buzz out there nationally about this program and DBo. When more word gets out on the pitching lab he's putting in on 3B side. You will see them SWARM here! Need to make sure we also get offense and defense to back up the top arms that will be coming. Buckle up, y'all. It's going to get crazy!

83jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
As much as Danny Hall frustrates me he seems to have finally come to terms that college baseball and how you recruit has radically changed in the past ten years. He has hired what I consider to be great young coaches who understand and embrace the modern approach. Additionally it looks like Hall is letting Ramsey run recruiting and early indicators look great.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
RHP, not rated by PG yet. But only a Sophomore with 88 mph FB and good slider. 200 pounds and 6-2 at Sophomore?

Class has only 3 so far but average player point is 10.33. That is 8th and will probably increase when he is rated by PG. Glad to see another out of stater from South Carolina.

Anyway

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As much as Danny Hall frustrates me he seems to have finally come to terms that college baseball and how you recruit has radically changed in the past ten years. He has hired what I consider to be great young coaches who understand and embrace the modern approach. Additionally it looks like Hall is letting Ramsey run recruiting and early indicators look great.

I think Ramsey has made a big difference as has Borrell. This is another great pitcher we have committed this year. What we are getting now are the really good pitchers and not as much the projects.

It's not just recruiting which I think has changed. I think in game that we saw different hitting and baserunning with Ramsey at third and coaching hitting. We were much more patient at the plate (The Baron excepted) and sat on pitches better.

What I am really hoping is that we see a different approach to pitching in the coming years if Hall turns more of the pitching over in game to Borrell. It would be really sick if we had the talent and depth to have true middle relievers so the starter doesn't have to go through the order the third time. Or bring in a guy for a good matchup in a tight situation. One can only dream.

83jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree and my guess is that Danny May have reach the point where he be willing to let Borrell make the decisions. He is the best pitching coach I have can remember at GT and I agree with hiring him as very quickly made GT a top destination for pitchers. I hope we can become like Vanderbilt in that area.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think Ramsey has made a big difference as has Borrell. This is another great pitcher we have committed this year. What we are getting now are the really good pitchers and not as much the projects.

It's not just recruiting which I think has changed. I think in game that we saw different hitting and baserunning with Ramsey at third and coaching hitting. We were much more patient at the plate (The Baron excepted) and sat on pitches better.

What I am really hoping is that we see a different approach to pitching in the coming years if Hall turns more of the pitching over in game to Borrell. It would be really sick if we had the talent and depth to have true middle relievers so the starter doesn't have to go through the order the third time. Or bring in a guy for a good matchup in a tight situation. One can only dream.
I agree. Have I ever mentioned how much I think pitching is THE KEY to winning baseball games? And it is looking like the new guys are leading us towards the Promised Land (aka CWS). Fingers and toes crossed....

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
FYI, PG doesn't grade a player unless they attend a showcase. If you're make the top 500, you get invited to "Top Prospects" which means grade 8 or higher.

Great club he plays for and looking like a great grab....nicely done.

(am I not supposed to post this stuff??)
upload_2019-11-17_9-20-39.png

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
These schools are quite ahead on the recruits. Virginia already has 13 sophomores locked up?
This list will change but that's A LOT for kids who have only played 1 season of HS ball and some not even Varsity....

upload_2019-11-17_9-30-43.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FYI, PG doesn't grade a player unless they attend a showcase. If you're make the top 500, you get invited to "Top Prospects" which means grade 8 or higher.

Great club he plays for and looking like a great grab....nicely done.

(am I not supposed to post this stuff??)
View attachment 7250

Probably best if you don't do a screen shot of any stuff behind a paywall. I refer to data or quote items and attribute. (I really like the stuff and appreciate it since I don't get PG but still ..... )

Cameron Freeman at 3101 nationally would be what they use to calculate rankings. But a lot is going to change in rankings as you point out. Players move up and down. I'd imagine the ones who do PG events get a bump up from PG, partly because PG is so familiar with them. And partly because it's a good business move. It is next to impossible to evaluate kids, especially HS sophomores, across the entire country. So much is exposure.

Last edited:

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Why such a long post?

There are a variety of things that go into rankings. There are a lot of different organizations that do rankings and as a recruit family you have to be careful and selective unless you print money, home school, and/or don't work.
There are a lot of kids not living on the East Coast that can't make as many events so the results are a bit skewed to those who show up, and show up often (sort of).

PG remains top dog and will.

PG Showcasing ($700) is the only way to be "Graded" and get a write up. 60 times, exit velos, 10 yard drill, etc. They do the same stuff at all the showcases local or national so there really isn't that big of a draw as a recruit to travel to the national top prospect ones. Academic showcases require a 3.5 or higher GPA to be invited, but again, they do the same things as other showcases and depending on the NCAA recruiting period, coaches and scouts aren't there. The only difference in Top Prospect invites is that you're in the top 500 and they've graded you above an 8. (they won't publish your grade unless you showcase).
(this is public I checked)
upload_2019-11-18_6-58-24.png

When you participate in a PG event that has DiamondKinetics tied to it, they capture every pitch, every speed, type of pitch, every swing. They tally points for batter and hitters. I think they use the points for selections to All Tournament Teams (Batters and pitching). There is also an Elite All tournament team which is only the top 12 pitchers in the entire tournament. I didn't know that until C got it at Jupiter this year after his No Hitter (pitched a "perfect game" but 5-3 error for last out blew it). He was 5th overall in pitching points for the entire tourney and made the "elite" team for the first time. IP, ERA, H, SO, and such will get you top points for events. C only pitched 3 innings in WWBA Ft Meyers but made it with 6Ks, and only 1H. We have friends who made it for batting with incredible batting average on a really bad team. So everyone is scored and ranked. More events, more scoring, more video and yes more familiarity.

However, we kept Christian out of the "Showcase parade" (12u-15U) and given our location in Austin, TX - we couldn't get to too many PG events. He wasn't ranked until after 16U WWBA this summer, but was noticed previous summer 15u and the the 16U BCS Nationals in Ft Meyers playing up as a 15U. He was a starting pitcher on Varsity (TX 6A which is the biggest here) as a Freshman. He only did 2 events this Fall, both WWBAs, and rose in rankings based on just those 2 tourneys. So it can be done.

He was top 500 overall nationally, #126 RHP nationally, #124 in TX Overall and #39 RHP in TX. After both WWBAs he shot up to #91 overall nationally, #24 RHP nationally, #8 overall in TX and #2 RHP in TX. So these events and your performance at them matters. FYI, Top 500 (equates to grade 8 or higher) gets you invites to "Top Prospect" events, (and like above, they do exactly the same stuff at each), but they don't mean as much as Big PG tourney events.

Once ranked, if you don't continue to play and improve, it will be noted and rank affected. For example you could see the player ranks dip for the football players that didn't play baseball or PG events this fall. Others who did climbed the ranks. So the game isn't over once ranked. Still need to work and compete. We will be at at the top 3 events next summer and Jupiter in the Fall to improve and compete but otherwise rest and prepare. But since C isn't chasing the draft, laying off the other stuff like Under Armour, Area Code, PBR, etc. Schools recruiting classes are scored according to rank (in PG) and it does matter for the various school media guides and player resumes, etc. Schools like to brag on who they got and what they were ranked. I've noticed this nationally in our school/program research.

These recruiting class ranks are always in flux as well. As player ranks update and change, as events and updates unfold, so do the class's.

I do like PG events as they are really good on pitch counts and mandatory rest and that is why you'll see guys only throw a few innings to be saved for games a few days away. C was supposed to pitch again in Ft Meyers but 4 of the guys got a stomach bug on sat and he was throwing up and bed ridden. :( That is never fun, especially stuck in a hotel).

The new PG baseball park in Hutto, TX (next to Austin) is going to be amazing. https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=16335
upload_2019-11-18_7-47-24.png
Basically an improved Lakepoint is going in in Hutto, with a mini-city to surround it. Unfortunately too late for my son, opening in 2021/22. But will finally bring talent and scouts to central Texas. Will be a great thing for Texas baseball and get teams from Dallas and Houston off their butts and into Austin area for a change.

PBR is supposed to be the up and coming but isn't nearly as organized or well run as PG. As you know, they took over Lakepoint from PG and have a good regional/national exposure. They are not consistent with their information or what they use to rank or put in your profile. We know this as C was pitching 88 in one of the tourneys earlier this summer on their gun (I also have a StalkerPro2 I carry and use at games). Shooter Hunt was tweeting about Christian's speed and pitching and they still only gave him credit for 86. They also play favorites. BIG TIME. He tried out for Futures games and Team Texas and didn't make it, nor did another of our players who threw 89 at the time and is a STUD at the plate, yet one of the TX regional director's, who also does lessons, customers was selected and that shocked and pissed off South Texas. This kid (super nice kid and family) wasn't even close in caliber (height/weight/stuff and velo) of our other 2 guys but took a spot to GA for Futures. That wasn't right. They are not efficient or as organized either. As a PO you get 10 pitches, they rush you, and didn't even get the type of pitches and speeds correct. (I know as I filmed my gun and their gun). Their events are completely rushed and un-eventful. We were at Texas A&M and the POs were supposed to report to the event at 1:00 to warm up for 1:30 games. They finished ahead of schedule and instead of emailing the list of participants, they randomly tweeted it. Luckily we were early 11:45 and C was able to warm up by 12:15. 75 min early and you don't notify people. That just isn't cool. They also use other site information on their rankings, when they want to. You can tell by the write ups, hobbies, speeds, etc. but when presented with other, verifiable information, on their equipment, they did not include. For exampled I had, on film, C throwing 88 multiple times on their gun, at their event. They wouldn't update it, yet other kids on our team, same event had their information updated from the same event. (you might think I'm nuts, but when you're getting close to touching 90, everyone wants to see it on film and on a Stalker Pro).

FiveTool is really good at blowing up Twitter and their events are pretty good. They have a pretty good exposure nationally and working to improve. They use Ball Coach Radar at each field and have a ton of kids gunning and tweeting. We get a lot of FiveTool in TX. Very well run events, but I don't think they rank or anything. But the competition at them is pretty good.

Wilson Premier is another one people like, I don't know why. Very small reach, mostly "Left Coast". We played there this summer in PHX. Smaller tourney, hot as hell, but decent facilities for the the Major League Team practice fields, etc. Not a fan. Really pricey to get there for a short tourney with not a lot of teams.

School/Scout density is much better East Coast.
You all are very lucky to have the location and draw of Lakepoint and other big events in your area with easy access nationally. You/GT Coaches/scouts, can easily get Eyes on lots of talent and vice versa.

Sorry to the novel, but this has been my world this summer/fall :)

Alanjay

Georgia Tech Fan
Eokerholm,

Awesome post above....thanks. It gave me some good info for my 2022. He is probably going to do his first showcase this summer. Most likely with PG. So again thanks for the post.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Eokerholm,
Awesome post above....thanks. It gave me some good info for my 2022. He is probably going to do his first showcase this summer. Most likely with PG. So again thanks for the post.

Anytime.
What position? The showcases are more for position players, not really pitchers (except for the write up and grade).
The only outcome from one of those (got local, not need to pay to travel to one as they all do the same damn thing) is a PG rating. Top 500 is auto invite to Top Prospect and is considered 8+ and a write up on the player profile.
They aren't cheap at $700-800 (regardless of venue location). Position players get 60s and infield/outfield velos and batting stats.

Happy to noodle with you on our journey and share tips and tricks of recruiting. Actually offered to our high school as there are great websites and twitter handles that will help you in the journey.
In the end it's all about the skill and the kid, but there are smarter/easier/more reaching ways to share that are FREE. You don't need to pay for a recruiting service.

Good luck, Happy to help!

Alanjay

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for the reply back. It is definitely a journey that is just beginning for my son. He is a middle infielder/rhp. He is still a little on the small size so right now not thinking he will make it at a P5 school. Great grades so he has that working for him. We are in middle ga so not far from Atlanta. We are thinking a academic show case thus summer to get all the measureables documented and see where he is with his skills. Other than that really not sure about the next moves beyond that.

Again I appreciated your information above. It will be a great resource for my son.

Alan

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Alan,
Check your showcase metrics at the bottom you could go to a sleeper or academic showcase and represent with a good showing and metrics. Don’t go to a big showcase but focus smaller/local.

Good grades is a huge asset and a huge attractant for schools and the Ivys and other good academic schools.

Check you inbox too. Happy to share tricks of the trade and great social media sites.