Clarifying Linebackers

alagold

Helluva Engineer
LBs that line up in the box should be your best athletes on D. In 25 years of setting up a D I always put my best player at WLB and next best at MLB.

Totally agree about Simmons.

. I suspect that thinking played a part into putting C Thomas at Wlb, even though he is really too small otherwise. I agree that Carpenter and J Thomas are better suited to be LBs, but that ship has likely sailed, especially for Tariq.

Charlie Thomas was the best tackler from hi school I saw for us 3 yrs before he came here.If he had size/strength he would be great.BJS oddly has proven to have avg lateral quickness to me.Curry seems a classic 4-3 MLB from 60s but todays speed of backs is hurting him.I hope as 6th yr LB he makes ZERO bad reads/mistakes this yr.
Of course it would REALLY help to have a better DL. duh!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
that was for one year, but it was actually guyton not hall. Hall was MLB, which wilkinson played for us.

The next year it was wheeler, hall, guyton, with hall at MLB

people forget about guyton....
Unfortunately, the block that put Guyton on the map originally os ST would have him disqualified today.

Edit: I see you guys already remembered and found it.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
We used to have good LBs in the 90s and 00s. At this point, I just want people who fill gaps and take logical angles to the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeeStorm

Banned
The physical traits of our current LBs are better suited to defend offenses a decade earlier. Curry would have been a good 4-3 LB in the day of 2 TEs and Fullbacks. LBs in this day have to have versatility and range because they have to cover TEs, slot WRs, RBs, and dual threat QBs. LBs these days are basically DBs playing in the box all the time. Teams are going with 3-5 WRs at all times, and you add the dimension of dual threat QB, and the entirety of your defense better be able to cover ground in a hurry or else there will be mismatches to exploit. Our LBs are getting exploited...A LOT.

The best defender I saw all season was Isaiah Simmons for Clemson. He played LB, rush end, DB, and sometimes CB for Clemson last season. You know where he started out for Clemson? Safety. What he did for Clemson last season was one of the most impressive seasons I've seen from a defender since I've been watching football. This includes the NFL. He is so versatile and impactful at each position. If you remember our game against Clemson, that guy was EVERYWHERE making plays against us.

I sound like a broken record, but I'd love for Tariq Carpenter and Juanyeh Thomas to move to LB and get utilized like Simmons. I don't think they have his pure speed, but I think they have ability to play be a very high level LB compared to DB. I think they are good DBs at this level, but they can be GREAT LBs. Unfortunately, we need some guys to prove they can play DB before we can move those two. Those two at LB would give an extremely fast OLB group.

I don't see the broad appeal of Curry beyond him being a consummate Tech man

Milwaukee

Banned
that was for one year, but it was actually guyton not hall. Hall was MLB, which wilkinson played for us.

The next year it was wheeler, hall, guyton, with hall at MLB

people forget about guyton....

Wheeler Wilkinson and Hall 05. Guyton joined the trio in 06 in place of Wilkinson.

Before that it was Key Fox, D Smith, and Wimbush

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I don't see the broad appeal of Curry beyond him being a consummate Tech man

I suspect thee are other positives for Curry such as his pre-snap value recognizing sets and getting people in the right place, quickly translating signals from the sideline and communicating on the field, overall touchness (aiding continuity) on the field and hard work preparing for games and game plans. Coaches value those attributes as it elevates other players good play. IMO we will see steady improvement with him on the field, but individually he may never be all ACC. If someone beats him out the more the better.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Cover space, shed blocks, make tackles.

3 things LB's do on good defenses that happen too rarely for us. To me, in order of importance to see improvement. We will never have a top 50 defense unless we get better play there.