CJP at Lunch Bunch

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CJP was the speaker at Lunch Bunch today. This report is by a poster on a free board who attended it.

i will say i agree with those who mentioned after reading this is what maybe he really need to be is the AD

3:10 PM Last edited 3:40 PM by LegalBees

As always, from memory, so others please feel free to make additions and corrections.

- He is nothing, if not enthusiastic. Very energetic. Talked a lot about his background and how that shaped his philosophy.

- He believes good shooting can hide a lot of other problems, so that is where he will focus. Must be good at 3 pointers to make everything else work.

- First priority was staffing. His biggest hires are players and alum from GT, Stanford, and Northwestern, so they know what it takes to compete at academic institutions. Good coaches on own, but also have academic backgrounds. Problem is his coaches are bigger than his players.

- Another big priority is recruiting/evaluation. Not much he can do for this year, but working on future. Has already sent coaches to Europe and Chile and is also working on keeping local talent.

- Great teams need a couple of studs and everyone else to be hard working, blue-collar players to do their jobs. Just needs one or two players that can make a difference and the rest will follow.

- He has very little control over anything this year, from players to uniforms, since everything was set before he arrived. He will make the most of what he has, but we are starting from scratch for the future. The best player this year will be "who ever is open."

- Currently only have two problems: no standout guards and no big men.

- Judge him this year on the teams effort, not necessarily the results. May not win at first, but we will be proud of their effort. Starting next year, everything is his responsibility. Must control the ball and fight for ever loose ball/turn over.

- Emphasis will be on working hard, making an effort, and being aggressive. These will eventually translate into wins. We have no room for error this season. We need to dictate game and attack - can not afford to let opposition

- Saw UGA TV show about their athletics on Saturday morning. Ask GT where our show is. They said "well..." He said "no, well...we have to market and compete."

- Attended event with full band and was impressed. Asked GT why we have so few band members at basketball games. GT said "well...." He said "no, well... We need the excitement and students." He is working with music department to get bigger band for games.

- Shoes and uniforms and VERY important to young players, even though we may not get it. More important in basketball than any other sport. Need to lobby GT and new AD to make a priority.

- GT basketball belongs to the school and community, not him. We need to support and market better.

- He wants input. May not agree with you, but wants to know what people are thinking/seeing.

- Best way to support team is buy season tickets. Crowds bring players, players bring wins, wins bring crowds, repeat.

- GT has a great message, we just need to get it out there better.

LibertyTurns

Banned
- Currently only have two problems: no standout guards and no big men.
Well, we might as well focus on the intangibles then!

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad there are diehards that follow the Team and know basketball. I got to say I'm liking this guy more and more. He'll get my support because he's our coach, but his head seems to be screwed on tight. Maybe we got lucky. More than one great leader failed while he was rising up the ranks & someone gave him another shot.

Wouldn't it be ironic that one of our worst AD's hired one of our better coaches?