Chris Milton Breaks DB Power Clean Record

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
Exactly. He muscled up 365, which makes it even more impressive. I considered myself a strong guy (400lb bench 600lb squat) and I wouldnt even consider doing much on power clean. (y)(y)(y) Chris
With that kind of squat and proper direction I bet you could full clean 365. You could easily stand it up so it would just be a second pull and speed under the bar issue.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
That was a similar thought I had: Is this something you want your football players doing...or for any collegiate sport? Risk/reward kinda' thing.
YES! This is exactly what you want your football players doing. Getting stronger! And, the power clean is the most football correlated lift there is - strength, explosion, leverage, level change.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
With that kind of squat and proper direction I bet you could full clean 365. You could easily stand it up so it would just be a second pull and speed under the bar issue.

Too much stress on my shoulder/AC joint and wrist. I maxed at 325

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
YES! This is exactly what you want your football players doing. Getting stronger! And, the power clean is the most football correlated lift there is - strength, explosion, leverage, level change.

Is there that much reward in this method vs. other methods of achieving strength, explosion, leverage, level change? His technique looked like one freak misstep from a serious injury.

That vid almost reminded of those vids of rednecks starting out by saying "hey...watch this".

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Granted, his technique was ugly. I didn't see any SnC coaches overseeing things but I doubt they are present for every workout. This looked like one player pushing himself to max. I like to see that, good form or not.
Fwiw injuries can occur even if perfect form is used.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Granted, his technique was ugly. I didn't see any SnC coaches overseeing things but I doubt they are present for every workout. This looked like one player pushing himself to max. I like to see that, good form or not.
Fwiw injuries can occur even if perfect form is used.

S&C coach is usually is always there especially during max week. Most likely they were beside the cameraman

Is there that much reward in this method vs. other methods of achieving strength, explosion, leverage, level change? His technique looked like one freak misstep from a serious injury.

That vid almost reminded of those vids of rednecks starting out by saying "hey...watch this".

Good question. I think this is only lift that I can think of where you can achieve all those football related things, it is high-risk, high-reward lift. If you guys remember this lift is what broke Roddy's wrist

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

What do you think happens in football practice tackling drills or a scrimmage or wait for it ... a game? Every hit/block you deliver isn't going to be perfectly set up for you, let you get your feet in the proper position, make sure you're balanced; you're not going to be afforded the luxury of making sure the guy you're going against isn't going to be too much of a strain for you.

I'll guarantee you there isn't a football program across the country (at any level above middle school) worth a darn, that doesn't have power cleans (or some rendition of it: hang cleans, jerks, clean and press, high pulls, etc) as a major part of their work out regimen. This is a non issue, and it's very surprising to me to see this amount of doubts about this exercise which has been a staple of athletic workouts since at least the 80's. And, it's only been more and more confirmed in its benefits over the years.

If you want to question the validity of an exercise, the bench press is the one that should be the object of this witch hunt: very little correlation to actual athletic movements, and highly correlated to shoulder injuries because it causes such a disproportion of front muscles to back muscles.

Last edited:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
What do you think happens in football practice tackling drills or a scrimmage or wait for it ... a game? Every hit/block you deliver isn't going to be perfectly set up for you, let you get your feet in the proper position, make sure you're balanced; you're not going to be afforded the luxury of making sure the guy you're going against isn't going to be too much of a strain for you.

I'll guarantee you there isn't a football program across the country (at any level above middle school) worth a darn, that doesn't have power cleans (or some rendition of it: hang cleans, jerks, clean and press, high pulls, etc) as a major part of their work out regimen. This is a non issue, and it's very surprising to me to see this amount of doubts about this exercise which has been a staple of athletic workouts since at least the 80's. And, it's only been more and more confirmed in its benefits over the years.

If you want to question the validity of an exercise, the bench press is the one that should be the object of this witch hunt: very little correlation to actual athletic movements, and highly correlated to shoulder injuries because it causes such a disproportion of front muscles to back muscles.

I'll take your word for it. Last time I laced up my cleats at this level was in 1978. Not alot of that type of weight lifting going on then.

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
If Roddy's form was like this I'm not surprised he broke his wrist. If you don't get your elbows up and catch the bar in the rack position you are putting a ton of force on your wrist.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If Roddy's form was like this I'm not surprised he broke his wrist. If you don't get your elbows up and catch the bar in the rack position you are putting a ton of force on your wrist.

Actually it was good form just bad luck

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One thing is for sure, trying that lift would have caused injury with me, whether I was lucky enough to budge the bar or not! Don't ever get old people. Enjoy your youth while you have it.