Chris Landry on 680

slugboy

Staff member
His data and conclusions about Tech are pretty much irrefutable. The third down conversion rate, as we all know, was pretty much historically bad. I don't pretend to know the answers but this defense cannot stand too many three and outs. Mr. Hale thinks, like every other expert and prognosticator, that Tech will be in for a long season. Could be but we will see. Coach Collins and the defensive staff have their work cut out for them that' for sure.

I was stunned how pessimistic it was. I think overly so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer

At the bottom in every category except special teams.

I think our RB's, DB, and 1st team OL are probably all pretty close to the middle of the pack which (probably higher at DB and RB) is where I think we will end up. I like our WR group and QBs as well but we'll have to see how they perform. Like many others on here I think our biggest weakness are OL depth, DL, and LBs.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We still have to stop people.
But we haven’t for years now. I think you’ve got it backwards, defense can’t get much worse than the past few years, whereas the Offense is going to be a total rebuild, so We are likely going to have a rocky transition on that side of the ball this year or the next couple of years.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We have talent issues. That doesn't mean we have absolutely no talent. It means we don't have enough of it. We have talent issues at WR. Our #1 WR is a former 2* who has a career 12 receptions. And that's our projected number one WR? We will need how many starting WRs? 3? Not having depth is also an issue of talent. That applies to our OL where even if you assume that the starters have the talent to do what will be asked of them, which itself is not a given or proven fact, what of the back ups? Again, that's a talent issue. Call it an issue with proven talent if it makes you feel better.

Also, the fact the new offense will be more familiar to most highschool players doesn't make it more familiar to the players on the team who have been in the old system multiple years. That's a long term benefit of switching from the option, not one that covers for the lack of experience we will be suffering this year.

It's about the quantity of questions. Most teams don't have legit questions at 75% of their positions.

So best case scenario is we are dealing with equal talent and a substantive experience disadvantage against the vast majority of our opponents. Okay.

Here are how we did in recruiting rankings (247) in the classes that will be contributing to this year's team, relative to ACC opponents with the acc opponents we were ahead of in ().

2015 - 8th (Pitt, UVA, WFU, Duke, Cuse, BC)
2016 - 11th (Cuse, UVA, BC)
2017 - 9th (NCSU, Cuse, UVA, BC, WFU)
2018 - 10th (UVA, Duke, WFU, BC)
2019 - 9th (NCSU, Cuse, UVA, BC, WFU)

Half those teams we don't play this year (I bolded the ones we do). So of our 8 ACC opponents we have out recruited UVA 5 times, NCSU and Duke twice each, and Pitt once. So half our ACC opponents have out recruited us every year, and 7 out of 8 have more times than not. Of our OOC UGA has us walloped, and we have outrecruited, USF, Temple, and Citadel most years. In total 5/12 teams (42%) have out recruited us every year. 8/12 (67%) have out recruited us more years than not. It used to be people would argue these weren't important because we ran a different system and fit in said system combined with better coaching would make up for it. It did to mixed results. However, now we are on the flip side of that where our recruits were recruited to fit into a different system. I don't see where you are pulling the 80% from.

So in terms of how we will do. I expect we'll win 3 of the 4 games against the teams I've mentioned us being better than, my prediction would be losing on the road to UVA at the tail end of a pretty brutal stretch. I expect us also to get 1 win against the rest, the best chance being against Pitt at home coming off a bye. The biggest issue is that 3 of our easiest game, maybe our 3 easiest, are early in the year where the lack of experience will play an even larger role. IMO because of that we only really have one game, Citadel, that I look at as saying we should absolutely win.

Could we win, 7 or 8? Sure. We could also win only 1.

This is tough to read and accept but you have probably realistic expectations. If the OL can give our QB some time and we have a good run game i think we can surprise some folks and hopefully make a bowl. No matter what i’ll be there cheering these men on though, i can’t freaking wait for the fall!

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
But we haven’t for years now. I think you’ve got it backwards, defense can’t get much worse than the past few years, whereas the Offense is going to be a total rebuild, so We are likely going to have a rocky transition on that side of the ball this year or the next couple of years.
From a statistical perspective we may get better, but without a significant improvement in performance, the on field results could look MUCH worse. Remember that our limited possession games masked a ton of flaws on the defensive side of the ball. We won't have that any longer.
I think most people here expect that we are going to take a step back offensively this season, so there is the very real possibility that our defense is going to "look" much worse even if they perform about the same.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I disagree, but time will tell.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
From a statistical perspective we may get better, but without a significant improvement in performance, the on field results could look MUCH worse. Remember that our limited possession games masked a ton of flaws on the defensive side of the ball. We won't have that any longer.
I think most people here expect that we are going to take a step back offensively this season, so there is the very real possibility that our defense is going to "look" much worse even if they perform about the same.

Good point, i sure hope our running game stays strong to help with that a little

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Brutal, I mean how in hell are we even up at 2 in special teams, feels like a pity vote

Our punter is one of the best in the nation, our field goal kicker is really good as well, and we have a dynamic return man who is only a sophomore. The only area of concern for me on ST are the coverage units, which got better after the USF debacle...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If we are determined to run a fast pace offense and have a bunch of 3's and outs we will kill a defense front 7 with no depth. I really hope on offense we play to our strength and don't Force things. It won't take long to see if we have the right person calling the plays. If we coach to our strengths we can find 7 wins.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I don't think Johnson ever, with the possible exception being his first year at Navy, thought he would have a losing season going in. I dunno why he quit, though I suspect the constant battle for "stuff" wore at him, and I do suspect he found recruiting for his offense at P5 level was in fact harder than he thought it would be. But, you know, when you hang it up and immediately the AD adds seven or eight positions to the football side? Or was it more than that? I don't argue they weren't needed. Just the timing, because he was going to get Collins regardless. Regardless, we have a new guy, now let's find out if he can coach.
I think he quit because TStan convinced him it was time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If we are determined to run a fast pace offense and have a bunch of 3's and outs we will kill a defense front 7 with no depth. I really hope on offense we play to our strength and don't Force things. It won't take long to see if we have the right person calling the plays. If we coach to our strengths we can find 7 wins.
If you think about it, the dink and dunk offense we are moving to has a key similarity to the ground and pound we came from. It moves the ball down the field slowly and deliberately one small chunk at a time. So what if we go no huddle, if we can bite off small chunks and keep the chains moving, it’s as good as any old fashion triple option death march.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Damn. That's brutal.
A few years ago coach was commenting that Syracuse was about to change coaches. ( i think he knew the guy).
He said till Syracuse fixes the big things they were not going to be successful on regular basis. The barbers guy was at baylor and left early to go to Syracuse. He brought a high powered hs head coach that won state championship w air raid.

Now i look and see them at top of OL and DL. Why them and not gt?

Next year if we can look like Syarcuse , i will be very happy.

Come on ol and dl !!