Chris Landry on 680

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
I know, don’t listen to it cause they’re horrible and all that, but I’ll leave it here. It’s not the first time I’ve heard this kind of outlook from talking heads and I’m a little confused. Landry was on yesterday and talked about us for a while. Some good some bad, but seemed optimistic in the long run. I don’t have the audio, but his main points were:

1. Collins is definitely the guy for the job, and the one he immediately thought of when Paul left. He will take Tech back to the top.

2. It’s a 3 year rebuild, meaning 3 recruiting classes. He said we are more bare than when UAB disbanded the program and restarted.

3. The only win he sees on the schedule is the citadel, any other wins would be an upset.

4. 3-4 wins this year would be incredible.

5. We have 7 o lineman, and we need 14-15 to be successful.

6. Collins is recruiting great right now, but currently everyone in the coastal has more talent than us.

I have many questions on this, but in all honesty, I can’t see us not getting 5-6 wins this year. Maybe I’m jaded by my fandom and the annual underestimation that we get from the prognosticators when it comes to coastal rankings, but I just can’t see it being this bad. I’m hoping for 7-8 wins honestly, and a large part of me wants to lay serious coin on us week one at -34 and on the over/under season win total of 4.5.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I know, don’t listen to it cause they’re horrible and all that, but I’ll leave it here. It’s not the first time I’ve heard this kind of outlook from talking heads and I’m a little confused. Landry was on yesterday and talked about us for a while. Some good some bad, but seemed optimistic in the long run. I don’t have the audio, but his main points were:

1. Collins is definitely the guy for the job, and the one he immediately thought of when Paul left. He will take Tech back to the top.

2. It’s a 3 year rebuild, meaning 3 recruiting classes. He said we are more bare than when UAB disbanded the program and restarted.

3. The only win he sees on the schedule is the citadel, any other wins would be an upset.

6. Collins is recruiting great right now, but currently everyone in the coastal has more talent than us.

I have many questions on this, but in all honesty, I can’t see us not getting 5-6 wins this year. Maybe I’m jaded by my fandom and the annual underestimation that we get from the prognosticators when it comes to coastal rankings, but I just can’t see it being this bad. I’m hoping for 7-8 wins honestly, and a large part of me wants to lay serious coin on us week one at -34 and on the over/under season win total of 4.5.
It's not that bad. I don't think it'll be bad at all. I believe we could win any where from 4-9 games, but I'm expecting that we'll win 7. I honestly just want to see improvement from week to week.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Me either, and I meant +34, not -34 obvi. The more you hear this kind of stuff the more you wonder if there’s any reason to it, but I just can’t see it either. I’m also not getting my hopes up that we come out the gates at 10 wins in year 1 and nothing less will be a letdown, but why even bother if you don’t have high hopes? I’m excited but also realistic, I just don’t understand the doom and gloom I guess.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d pay a subscription if I could hear our players and coaches answer the question “do you think 3-4 wins would be a huge success?” I agree, it’s not just local talking heads, most people have paid no attention to our roster. They just know there’s a big scheme overhaul and that’s an easy pick for them.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’d pay a subscription if I could hear our players and coaches answer the question “do you think 3-4 wins would be a huge success?” I agree, it’s not just local talking heads, most people have paid no attention to our roster. They just know there’s a big scheme overhaul and that’s an easy pick for them.

What exactly about our roster have they grossly overlooked? We aren't just doing a scheme overhaul. We're overhauling our offense entirely, trying to build a defense that hasn't been good in a decade, and are doing so while returning very little production. Here is an article that last point.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...9-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

TLDR version. We're the 12th worst in the country in returning production, and last year the bottom 10 saw an average drop of 2.7 games. We won 7 games last year. I'm sure everyone can do the math on that one.

On offense we have big ?s at pretty much every position that isn't running back. Our QBs have combined for something like 35 passing attempts and in general very minimal amounts of experience playing in general. We return what, 25 career receptions? Our OL has struggled pass blocking for how long now, and will be learning a new style. Sorry but simply changing stances isn't going to solve the problems we've had. Defensively we lose our top 3 tacklers and 7 of our top 11. In general we have big questions all over the front 7. On top of all that our recent recruiting hasn't exactly been lighting up the world.

Could we win 7-8? Sure. It's possible. But that doesn't mean people should expect that. There is certainly no reason to be confused by the projections of struggles.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
What exactly about our roster have they grossly overlooked? We aren't just doing a scheme overhaul. We're overhauling our offense entirely, trying to build a defense that hasn't been good in a decade, and are doing so while returning very little production. Here is an article that last point.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...9-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

TLDR version. We're the 12th worst in the country in returning production, and last year the bottom 10 saw an average drop of 2.7 games. We won 7 games last year. I'm sure everyone can do the math on that one.

On offense we have big ?s at pretty much every position that isn't running back. Our QBs have combined for something like 35 passing attempts and in general very minimal amounts of experience playing in general. We return what, 25 career receptions? Our OL has struggled pass blocking for how long now, and will be learning a new style. Sorry but simply changing stances isn't going to solve the problems we've had. Defensively we lose our top 3 tacklers and 7 of our top 11. In general we have big questions all over the front 7. On top of all that our recent recruiting hasn't exactly been lighting up the world.

Could we win 7-8? Sure. It's possible. But that doesn't mean people should expect that. There is certainly no reason to be confused by the projections of struggles.

Didn’t say anything about our roster was “grossly overlooked”. Don’t get this twisted. I realize the struggles. My post was positive. While I appreciate your input as to why we we may struggle, there’s no reason to not have hope for 8+ wins. Like I said, I’m confused as to why the bar is set so low. I think if you asked anybody on this team if they were worried about any of the stats you chose to throw out above, they would laugh. New kind of energy from these guys man, I can’t wait!

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Next year should be interesting for sure, bowl eligible should roughly be the expectation. IMO we overperformed in Ws last year relative to our on the field performance, and with the triple option gone, we lose that advantage.
Results I don’t see changing period:
Clemson, UGA - surefire Ls
UNC, FCS (Citadel is gonna be a tough W, but should win)

Results I expect to see flipped:
Pitt, USF Ls to Ws with homefield advantage
UVA, Miami Ws to Ls without homefield advantage. I hate playing in Coral Gables and Charlottesville.
Games I don’t have no idea about:
VT
Bowling green->Temple
Lousiville->NC state
Duke

I think we can win two of the last 4 easily, with the coastal having another down year.
I know I’m higher on VT than IBB is, but I do agree that Fuente isn’t a good fit. They had 16 new starters last year and pulled out a ok/good season.
Temple will be having a revenge game but I expect Collins to know how to exploit personnel there
NC state is a wild card with their lost production
Duke has had our number of late but now that Johnson is gone maybe Cutcliffe will fine another coach to try to **** on endlessly so GT can exploit his sorry ***

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Never heard of this guy, but I can tell from your post he's a hack. Probably read a season preview article, that's it.

1. No he didn't.

2. Not even close to UAB.

3. Wrong

4. Wrong

5. Correct

6. Wrong

So he's either wrong or flat out lying on 5 of the 6 points, likely to rile people up and draw interest to his show, whatever that is.