Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff.
Let's face it.

Players are going to have to step up.
Tulane won 2 games.
Long can put us in a position to score.
Players were scarce at Tulane.
Will we find some players to make plays?

The thing that scares me is that Long LOVES to emphasize TEs in the passing game, and TEs are important to his offense. Our TE talent hasn't really proven themselves yet. Now Long will have a BIG job developing the TE room, and developing the offense overall. I think Long is a very good OC, but he's got a big job ahead of him on a short timeline with a HC on his last legs.

If Long can turn this offense to competent, he'll have earned every cent of that contract.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The thing that scares me is that Long LOVES to emphasize TEs in the passing game, and TEs are important to his offense. Our TE talent hasn't really proven themselves yet. Now Long will have a BIG job developing the TE room, and developing the offense overall. I think Long is a very good OC, but he's got a big job ahead of him on a short timeline with a HC on his last legs.

If Long can turn this offense to competent, he'll have earned every cent of that contract.

Leo Blackburn was a recruit I was looking forward to seeing more of. This OC hire seems tailor made for his future prospects.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

This is video is a little better imo.
The best however is watching the entire game. They run 2 minute offense alot. He even ran some variation of flexbone fullback dive in short yardage situations. I know this is a stretch but watching Chip Long's offense gave me flashbacks to Friedgen. It has a ton of variation. But Chip's is more fast paced.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Question: when it is 3rd and 1/2 yard, will he run the play from under-center, or will he insist on shotgun like we did in the last years?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Question: when it is 3rd and 1/2 yard, will he run the play from under-center, or will he insist on shotgun like we did in the last years?
That depends. Are we ever going to pass the ball from under center? Or run jet sweeps or end-around? Or is lining up under center just going to be a giant neon sign saying “WE’RE ABOUT TO RUN THE BALL UP THE MIDDLE”? And on top of everything else we’re trying to fix on the offense, is it really a good use of time to be practicing different types of snaps if we can spend that time working on something else? I don’t know about you, but it seems to me that Sims has enough on his plate right now without having to worry about remembering whether he’s supposed to be lined up in the gun or under center.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not if we don't block
I think that is what makes me a little nervous about shotgun on 3rd and short. Since your running back or quarterback now have an extra 5-7 yards tacked on before getting past the line of scrimmage it means your offensive line needs to hold its blocks longer, something I did not have confidence in. A quick hitter into the line might mean a lineman only has to beat the defender on his first step.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think that is what makes me a little nervous about shotgun on 3rd and short. Since your running back or quarterback now have an extra 5-7 yards tacked on before getting past the line of scrimmage it means your offensive line needs to hold its blocks longer, something I did not have confidence in. A quick hitter into the line might mean a lineman only has to beat the defender on his first step.

This is not true and has been explained at least almost every other month since 2019 why it’s not true

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is not true and has been explained at least almost every other month since 2019 why it’s not true
bingo GIF

JacketFan137

Banned
i think our fanbase shows it’s age when they talk about the shotgun in short yardage lol it just sounds like a very old school and outdated mentality

if we had some 90s nebraska/2014 tech/wisconsin o line we could line up under center and bully people but i think spreading the field a little bit and going pistol/shotgun probably helps us out

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
i think our fanbase shows it’s age when they talk about the shotgun in short yardage lol it just sounds like a very old school and outdated mentality

if we had some 90s nebraska/2014 tech/wisconsin o line we could line up under center and bully people but i think spreading the field a little bit and going pistol/shotgun probably helps us out
If we were talking about goal line or red zone situations in particular, there might be some merit to the suggestion of favoring running plays from under center, but if we’re on the 40 yard line, we should still be trying to spread out the defense and make them defend the whole field, even on 3rd and short.