Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I saw some called triple options that were de facto double options because the QB/BB diagnosed the defensive play pre-snap.
OK. Take your word for it. Think about this. If those of us who have been watching this offense for years can't tell who is supposed to get the ball then how in Hades is the defense supposed to figure it out when some SOB is cut blocking you at the same time?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
WOW! Really?!?!?!? If the door hits you in the *** it's your fault.

Hope you were just venting, but to bail because of this game... I assume you haven't seen too many years of GT football.

We lost but put on a good show in front of a national TV audience 99% of whom (well probably our traditional opponents knew better but still) did not give us a chance to win. I am disappointed with that reaction. Our players gave their best effort and "left it on the field" as the saying goes. Can we as fans ask more? Not really. IMHO

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Here's something I wanted to throw out for consideration:

As bad as the defense may have seemed, take away the two turnovers that Tennessee turned into 14 points, and eventually forced overtime, the Vols would have only scored 14 points for the entire game because all of the rest of their points came in OT. Personally, I think giving up 14 points to that offense was a pretty good job.

For their first 7 possessions, Tennessee had a TD on a 46 yard drive following one of our fumbles. Their longest drive other than that was a six play, 23 yard drive. The Vols had a TOTAL of 103 yards prior to us missing the Field Goal in the 3rd Quarter. To put things in better perspective, Tennessee had five 3-and-outs in their 11 possessions prior to Overtime.

That is one way of looking at it. I would never thought that we would lose a game with the defense getting five 3 and outs. Usually, that stat will get you beat in a game with a triple option team. Tennessee was very fortunate to win last night but their luck is about to run out.

Joebot57

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't post here much, but I've been following the team very closely since 2012, and I figured I should share my thoughts.
Personally, I don't think the loss hurts us that much, and as far as motivating the team goes it might actually help. We deserved to lose, we made too many mistakes when it mattered and that's why we lost. If we won the game, those mistakes might have been overlooked, but I know for sure that nobody on the team is gonna overlook them now. The next four weeks are easy wins if we execute well, and then we play Miami. I think our guys are going to be out for revenge in that game, and I think we can steal that one. If we win that game I think we'll win the coastal.
This team is very good, this is the best we've looked to start the season in a while, and most importantly we played this well against a good team. I think we may be in for a big year.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Positive Takes
The O was unstoppable. GT stopped themselves with Fumbles. Passing game was sharp and probably could get sharper. Taquan is tough but dude can't take that kind of pounding for the season. He is tough. The Oline was killer.
Game balls.
Benson
Cottrell
Searcy
Shamire
& Taquan
So glad to see Shamire perform last night. I never saw Taquan coming.Boy did he deliver. Hell, I had him as the third QB pick of the bunch!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That is one way of looking at it. I would never thought that we would lose a game with the defense getting five 3 and outs. Usually, that stat will get you beat in a game with a triple option team. Tennessee was very fortunate to win last night but their luck is about to run out.
Some of those 3-and-outs were due to dropped passes or bad throws. We saw what happened when they stopped shooting themselves in the foot in the second half.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I don't post here much, but I've been following the team very closely since 2012, and I figured I should share my thoughts.
Personally, I don't think the loss hurts us that much, and as far as motivating the team goes it might actually help. We deserved to lose, we made too many mistakes when it mattered and that's why we lost. If we won the game, those mistakes might have been overlooked, but I know for sure that nobody on the team is gonna overlook them now. The next four weeks are easy wins if we execute well, and then we play Miami. I think our guys are going to be out for revenge in that game, and I think we can steal that one. If we win that game I think we'll win the coastal.
This team is very good, this is the best we've looked to start the season in a while, and most importantly we played this well against a good team. I think we may be in for a big year.
I agree, but honestly I'm just happy to see a fan come out of the woodwork after a tough loss to not go all doom & gloom making a big stink about how they're done with the team. This team has a bright future, and I'm not seeing any guaranteed losses on the schedule. At least we still got this: win out and we go to playoffs, regardless of what happens anywhere else :)

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
On that play in that situation it was a perfect chance to use Jones (fresh legs, very fast, and hard to tackle).
So....bring in a guy that has never played a snap in college EVER and throw him in for the biggest play of the game?

Think I would call for CPJ's head if he did that. Maybe, maybe maybe MJ but you dance with the one that brought ya

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A couple stats that I found interesting
  1. Average starting field position: GT - Own 29; TN - Own 37
  2. Average yards per play: GT - 6.8; TN - 6.3

Not quite what I thought based on watching the game Live. I thought TN had a more decisive field position advantage. I suppose the TN yards per play happened as the 2nd half + OT offset the 1st half.

For reference
upload_2017-9-5_17-39-39.png

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Last play - watched it in slow motion TM pitches to Benson he makes the corner of the end zone easy

Last edited by a moderator:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
All you guys saying that this game was an embarrassment and a sign of a "long season".....
I don't have the words to describe how much I disagree with that assessment...

This game made me believe it could be a GREAT season..

New QB worries: NO
New BB worries: NO
Defense worries: NO
Coaching worries: NO
Our defense played very well tonight until they finally ran out of gas, like EVERY defense (other than Alabama) does in these physical early season games... we DESTROYED that 4-5 star defense of Tn tonight... DESTROYED them.
New Kicker worries: YES

Very proud of my team tonight...very proud.
Why is our defense gassed when it is on the field less than 19 minutes =(

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
A couple stats that I found interesting
  1. Average starting field position: GT - Own 29; TN - Own 37
  2. Average yards per play: GT - 6.8; TN - 6.3

Not quite what I thought based on watching the game Live. I thought TN had a more decisive field position advantage. I suppose the TN yards per play happened as the 2nd half + OT offset the 1st half.

For reference
View attachment 2873

Interesting. Maybe worth noting that their worst field position was from the fumble recovery on the seven which to me is in a different class than us pinning them back with good special teams play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just got back home- So We ok late in ATL after a great game by 2 above average teams.
IMO Its not how good u are at start of season, its how fast u get better.

At the game we sat in end zone and saw multiple angled replays of each play.

As for the defense they played much closer to line and in first half were flying to the play. I looked up at score board as half approached and the board showed drive summary = The orange team said Punt, punt, punt punt.

In second half we did seem to take steps in the wrong direction before reacting.

Give #1 on Tennessee credit - he is a baller.

I hope we keep this aggressive d going and don't go back to free pass for 5 yards or less. In fact in next 2 games we need some even tighter to line of alignments s w safety and corner closer to line faking and sometimes blitzes . If in first 3 games we get better at being aggressive on d , we will have a much better chance of being a very very good team by end of year. I am sticking w the D!

On the fumble by jj which happened right in front of us - parker braun was all the way down field trying to recover the ball in the pile.

Our ol was totally awesome and in midseason form . Great player prep, coaching, and game effort and play calling. At the start with Will at tackle and SD at guard, tbe UT guys put some one near SD and that was a disaster . . After that SD got a taste for blood, he was sold out on each play. Wow! Will and Braun looked like they are - great.

31 reminds me of 13 Andrews in 2014. (blocking and running.).

Hope we add a different ab long pass besides the go long for the right ab. Can't count on perfect pass and catch.

Football viewing in BDS is much better than MBS.

See u Saturday.