Chemistry Folks

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Why did the condensation in my coffee mug freeze in this pattern?
1672103219227.jpeg

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not chemistry. Materials Science. This a solidification question. It has to do with how the atoms moved from the amorphous water phase to the crystalline solid phase. It has to do with dendrite formation and is described using fractal geometry. If you want to really understand the thermodynamics of crystal formation, I'll DM more information, but you could probably google fractal dendrites of ice formations or something like that and get more than you bargained for.

Last edited:

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Fractals is the math around what nature does on its own. They are everywhere. Kind of like the answer to the universe putting math to Chaos.

Either that or because the answer is 42

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Smooth. It’s basically a Yeti cup.
Interesting. It looks to be engraved and the crystals seem to mimic that. I

I love the smart people that are fellow alums but I’m not one of the smart ones. Being a diligent hard worker got me thru the ‘tute.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. It looks to be engraved and the crystals seem to mimic that. I

I love the smart people that are fellow alums but I’m not one of the smart ones. Being a diligent hard worker got me thru the ‘tute.
I'm one of those guys that made it through because I was too stubborn to give up. Almost transferred to Auburn as a freshman. After that, I never looked back (as well as never looking up). I just kept plugging away and after 27 quarters (including 13 co-op quarters) I graduated. 14 quarters was about average when I was in school.

What is really cool is that it doesn't matter if it is water freezing to ice or molten aluminum, steel, titanium, etc. solidifying, the same dendritic structures are formed. It gets even cooler when you start forming Chinese script in the interdendritic spacings.

This is what you saw on your mug looks like when if forms in 3 dimensions...

1673151103046.png

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I'm one of those guys that made it through because I was too stubborn to give up. Almost transferred to Auburn as a freshman. After that, I never looked back (as well as never looking up). I just kept plugging away and after 27 quarters (including 13 co-op quarters) I graduated. 14 quarters was about average when I was in school.

What is really cool is that it doesn't matter if it is water freezing to ice or molten aluminum, steel, titanium, etc. solidifying, the same dendritic structures are formed. It gets even cooler when you start forming Chinese script in the interdendritic spacings.

This is what you saw on your mug looks like when if forms in 3 dimensions...

View attachment 13895
Great interesting stuff there definitely.

How close is the investigation in Florida to coming to any conclusions?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You should read the minutes of the City Council for Seaside. There's intrigue, humor, fighting, fiction, back-stabbing, conniving, double-crosses...everything you'd want in soap opera. And, because it's a public meeting, the minutes are available to the general public.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Not chemistry. Materials Science. This a solidification question. It has to do with how the atoms moved from the amorphous water phase to the crystalline solid phase. It has to do with dendrite formation and is described using fractal geometry. If you want to really understand the thermodynamics of crystal formation, I'll DM more information, but you could probably google fractal dendrites of ice formations or something like that and get more than you bargained for.
Goddamn it Forensicbuzz I did not finally get out and pass thermogoddamnics just to learn that I might ever want to use it for anything, even idle curiosity.