Chaz Cheeks

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't surprise me at all. All but one of our players who are from the state of Georgia receive the Hope, unless the numbers have changed since I last heard them. But if they're on the 25 man squad, they're getting a portion of the 11.7 athletic scholarships as well. Of the ones not from the state of Georgia, all receive some other partial academic scholarships as well. But the point is that scholarship $$ go up and down annually for a player, based on his performance on the team. For those who are on the team but not on the 25 man travel squad, the fluctuation is even more dramatic.

Georgia Tech baseball is also very fortunate to have alumni such as Jason Varitek and Mark Texiera because just the two of them have endowed scholarships (Tex has endowed 3 by himself) that are also available to help subsidize the 11.7.
Football and baseball are two different animals in this regard. Scholarship money is very limited in baseball, that is not the case for football. If it were, you see the same exact thing. Well, not exactly. Many of the footballers wouldn't qualify for Hope.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Most GT students in general don't qualify for Hope after they've been at GT long enough. When I was there it was a big joke about how quickly GT takes away your hope, then you were hopeless... lame I know

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a b average when I went to Tech. Athens Tech that is!

Still is. Students have to maintain a 3.0 GPA to keep the Hope. FWIW, the amount of money you receive from the Hope is less than it used to be as well. It originally paid for everything (tuition, housing, etc) according to my former business partner who never paid a dime to go to Southern Tech. Now, it merely pays for the tuition.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Hope paid tuition + $500 which was supposed to be for books and fees. They evaluated you every 30 hours so it was common practice to game the system by taking 29 hours as a freshman to at least get through 3 semesters paid. I was able to keep it at 30 and lost it at 60 (real fun conversation to have with your dad, let me tell you.) They got smart about the evaluation and started doing it every summer. Either way it's a beating a dead horse argument, but having the same requirements at GT to keep the money as all other state schools is crap. I get it, we're taking the risk by going to GT but requiring a student to be on the deans list at one school while they only have to be very average at the other schools isn't fair. Yet another way GT teaches you life isn't fair I suppose!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
there are quite a few football players that receive the Hope also. The only difference is that if they are on a football scholarship they get to pocket the Hope money and spend how they choose. Their football scholarship pays for everything first and the money (Hope) left over is reimbursed to the player. A good incentive to maintain your grades.
Are you sure about this?

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I know several that get it. They get paid at the beginning of each eligible semester. It's several thousand dollars each time. Not to bad for a college kid.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah it covered tuition plus the book stipend when I was there 2003-2007.

Didn't realize the FB boys got it too - good on em if they kept it.