Chaz Cheeks @39_CHEEKS

Jn4heisman

Jolly Good Fellow
Has anyone been reading his tweets? They are sounding very sad and angry. It seems like he is ready to transfer. I suggest you go read them and give him positive advice!

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
In my opinion, everyone has days like that... especially at GT.

We know for sure these are football related regrets?

ToddM

I saw him in the Elon game, he seemed to be a beast. I know he redshirted but what would his future be if he stayed ? I know at least 2 LBs are in their final year.

Like CPJ said, redshirts build depth. Doesn't Chaz see this ?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I think he can be a contributor, but He might be looking at the depth chart and seeing that he has already been passed. That has to be deflating. Nobody who plays at a D-1 level comes to sit.

ToddM

R u talking about Davis ? Who passed him ? Drummond and Watts are gone at the end of the year. If one passed him why wouldn't that encourage him to strive for more. I know nobody wants to sit but how does Georgia, Notre Dame, Alabama....... Build depth ? Sitting is sitting right ? Kinda sounds like he has forgotten that Lee and Thomas sat and they could arguably be the best talent on the team. Spoiled maybe ? Seriously why does he think he is different ?

ToddM

Not listed at all. He redshirted last year. He is a LB. I think based on size, in Roofs Defense he is a candidate for DE in the style of Attaochu. He is bigger than Attaochu.

But at LB he is behind Days, Nealy, Watts, Davis, Harrell, Drummond, and Marcordes. Watts & Drummond are in their last year so it could be argued that next year he would play in the rotation. It could be said that if he is behind Drummond that he ain't that good. Of the 5 DE's listed, 3 are in their final year.

I have no idea where he would fit in next years chart with this years redshirts but I think he would play the next 3 years if he stayed.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
sounds like he may not be traveling to the Duke game this week. I guess it could be deflating when your a RS sophomore. I hope he sticks it out and stays positive. It's never as good or as bad as it seems.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Wouldn't be a bad thing for GT if he did transfer, imo. Obviously I would prefer if he were to stay and be a major contributor, but if he's not good enough to do that, it would actually benefit GT for him to go somewhere else if that's what he wants. Then we can go ahead and get someone else in here that wants to be here and compete. If he still wants to be here, then I want him here, and GT would continue to provide him the best education out there.

ToddM

Like leaning in for the kiss and getting the cheek. Wait, I ain't the only one on here that's has happened to am I ? Ok how about its like finding out you bought a castrated attack dog. Or paddling to the middle the lake and finding out the plug is missing.

Y'all get the point

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Posts seem rife with entitlement mentality to be honest. Don't need him if that's the case. Nobody who works hard whines that they are not getting what they want. Not getting what they want only motivates them to work harder.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Come on guys, remember when you were 20, got a 50 on a test worth 25% of your grade, decided to get drunk only to find out it's Tuesday and no one else is drinking then the next day you have lab at 8 am so you show up hungover without last weeks lab report. GT will do that to you.

He's probably mad he's not going on the roadtrip, he was happy a week ago

ToddM

I just wish he would stick it out. I have empathy for the guy but this is a bit like 'you let him why can't I '.

Absent being told he has no future at Tech he should chill and look at the next 3 years.

By the way, brings up a question concerning recruitment. Does a recruit who may indeed look like a stud when you are recruiting him, have the right to expect to hold a starting position over a future as of that time, unknown recruit who is better ? In other words is a school held to its word even if a recruit comes in who is better ?

I think not, what do you think ?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only thing these kids are promised is a chance to compete. It's up to them to earn playing time. If they don't, then they ride the pine and stay home on road trips. It's about earning it. I am not being specific because I have exactly 0% knowledge about Chaz Cheeks and his effort to be a productive member of this team. I do believe he has had and will continue to get opportunities to perform in practice that would translate into game time. I wish him all the luck in the world.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I just wish he would stick it out. I have empathy for the guy but this is a bit like 'you let him why can't I '.

Absent being told he has no future at Tech he should chill and look at the next 3 years.

By the way, brings up a question concerning recruitment. Does a recruit who may indeed look like a stud when you are recruiting him, have the right to expect to hold a starting position over a future as of that time, unknown recruit who is better ? In other words is a school held to its word even if a recruit comes in who is better ?

Definitely not. The best man wins, in football and in life. Nobody would EVER be promised a starting position anyway in recruiting, so it's a moot point - there's no word to be kept.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer

FWIW this kind of ---- happened when Lane Kiffin was the coach at Tennessee in 2009. He got Bryce Brown (now Eagles RB) to sign with the promise of starting. He ended up having to make him the #2 RB, but he shouldn't have even been that. Bryce pouted a bunch, transferred, Lane left a flaming bag of dog poop on UT's proverbial front doorstep and jumped ship to USC to ruin their program for the foreseeable future.

Thank goodness for GT football that year. My point is it doesn't work. Very few of even the best highschool recruits are ready to compete at the college level. I believe CPJ promises everyone a chance to compete. Usually they come in during the middle of the summer, get humbled in a few practices and realize they need at least a year of S+C to compete so they take a redshirt. Then you have a PJ Davis who comes in and clearly is ready to play and cracks the 2-deep. Same with Butker - I've never heard CPJ say anyone on our team has the ability to be playing on Sundays unless they have declared for the draft or are already in the NFL let a lone a freshman.

Last edited by a moderator:

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Come on guys, remember when you were 20, got a 50 on a test worth 25% of your grade, decided to get drunk only to find out it's Tuesday and no one else is drinking then the next day you have lab at 8 am so you show up hungover without last weeks lab report. GT will do that to you.

He's probably mad he's not going on the roadtrip, he was happy a week ago
I think we are all overreacting to the tweets a bit and agree with Jason's post here (except who gets drunk on a Tuesday?). :D