Charlotte Game Thread

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Thought I'd get the thread started for the Charlotte game. In my opinion, this game is a must win.

Charlotte is 6-5 with wins over PSU and S. Carolina and losses to George Washington, Georgetown, Miami (twice), and Davidson

They are 57th in RPI, 74th in BPI, 96th in Massey, and 103rd in Kenpom

They have 7 players getting 25 mins/game with 4 players averaging double digit scoring

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@Peacone36 is right. We should win this game, but Charlotte has exactly the type of team we seem to struggle against. They have outstanding guard play and the teams that beat them are all guard oriented teams. That said, Thorne can be a load inside.

This is not a gimme.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
They just put up almost 80 against Gtown and the Hoyas are generally (haven't looked at the metrics) a good defensive team. If MP is empty again I don't like our chances honestly.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Charlotte is historically a good team and historically a team we've struggled against when we've played them. Recent games included 3pt win last year, Double-OT loss that was probably Hewitt's death knell, 5-pt win in the Caribbean.

This team is talented and has generally played good teams tough.

We'll need to play our rear ends off and execute well to win this game. This game wouldn't have been a "gimme" if we were entering it undefeated and playing flawless basketball season to date.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That seems like a good idea
I am happy they finally discovered it needs work. Maybe I missed something, but if my memory is correct, this has been a problem all season. BG says they now have enough data to determine which guys should be taking shots! Hello? The answer might be "nobody" ought to be shooting the ball from the arc, but someone almost has to or the lane will continue to be crowded with five defenders and our two guys who really cannot shoot from anywhere else. Since we are such a bad FT shooting teams, it seems pointless to let us have an uncontested shot close in.

This is just a round about way of saying, "I agree." Until we improve, the team needs to determine if there is yet an undiscovered way to beat a 2-3 zone without taking outside shots. If they do, BG will be a COY lock.

Seriously, Q should be given a green light. I used to think Bolden had a nice shot. Travis can hit 3's when he is open enough, but his form is just awful and he needs a lot of space. Maybe Tadric can shoot, but he hasn't shown it yet. And MGH, a guy I used to worry we would lose to the NBA, has played his way to a GT degree instead.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I am happy they finally discovered it needs work. Maybe I missed something, but if my memory is correct, this has been a problem all season. BG says they now have enough data to determine which guys should be taking shots! Hello? The answer might be "nobody" ought to be shooting the ball from the arc, but someone almost has to or the lane will continue to be crowded with five defenders and our two guys who really cannot shoot from anywhere else. Since we are such a bad FT shooting teams, it seems pointless to let us have an uncontested shot close in.

This is just a round about way of saying, "I agree." Until we improve, the team needs to determine if there is yet an undiscovered way to beat a 2-3 zone without taking outside shots. If they do, BG will be a COY lock.

Seriously, Q should be given a green light. I used to think Bolden had a nice shot. Travis can hit 3's when he is open enough, but his form is just awful and he needs a lot of space. Maybe Tadric can shoot, but he hasn't shown it yet. And MGH, a guy I used to worry we would lose to the NBA, has played his way to a GT degree instead.

Yup, yup and yuuuuuuuuuuup.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Stephens is a puzzlement. He hit 6 of 8 three pointers against UGA and has hit 10 of 35 since.

It is depressing for a long time GT fan to watch the recent teams shoot from outside. I recall 1986 game against Maryland at the Thrillerdome.
In the second half for an eight 1/2 minute stretch either team missed a shot, most taken from outside.
Price and company for Tech; Len Bias for Maryland. Unearthly exhibition of shooting in an actual game.

When you Tech grads get around to perfecting cloning, you would be hard pressed to clone a better basketball player than Len Bias. What a tragedy.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
MGH played All-ACC tonight. Thank you. Not a bad performance by our PG also. ACC here we come. Unfortunately ND is first and they are playing great basketball right now.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Got lucky and held on to win by 1.

14 / 16 at the FT line. Thank God we did well on the line or this game would have ended in the L column.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Big 3 and defensive rebound by Jorgy
Great fast break finish and EOG finish by MGH.
Great TO management by CBG as well

If we are going to win more than 4-6 ACC game we need this MGH every night.

Agree, but we are going to need more than that, we are abysmal from behind the arc, good thing UNCC was as well tonight.