Charlie Thomas Entering The Draft

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Charlie Thomas is an exceptional college player. I am not just sure he finds a home in the NFL. I can see him on the practice squad, but it will be hard to crack the roster given his measurables and his inability to pass cover in space. Maybe as a special teams expert.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Congratulations to Charlie. I think he's going to make it in The League. Just one little piece of advice from a casual observer - "break a leg", but don't lead with your head.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I do not think that is true. I also think Reis is much better in coverage given his experience as a DB. Even then, Reis made it mostly based on special teams, which is what I suggested. I think he only had a handful of snaps on defense in 3+ years in the league.
Agree Chris was probably a better coverage guy and I know he was a ST guy in NO. Chris might be faster, but I don't think Charlie is slow. My comment was mainly responding to the thought that the Pros would overlook Charlie because of his size. I just don't buy that. The Pros want playmakers and Charlie is a playmaker. Dwight Freeney and Aaron Donald come to my mind. These guys just have a motor that never quits and Charlie is built in that same ilk.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree Chris was probably a better coverage guy and I know he was a ST guy in NO. Chris might be faster, but I don't think Charlie is slow. My comment was mainly responding to the thought that the Pros would overlook Charlie because of his size. I just don't buy that. The Pros want playmakers and Charlie is a playmaker. Dwight Freeney and Aaron Donald come to my mind. These guys just have a motor that never quits and Charlie is built in that same ilk.
I never said he was slow, but he probably is too slow to cover NFL backs out of the backfield or play the nickel, which he would have to do given his size. I think he only weighs about 215, which would be extremely small for an NFL LB. I would not be surprised if he gets drafted or at least makes a practice squad, which is what i said. I just find it difficult to believe he will get much on field playing time as a LB.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I never said he was slow, but he probably is too slow to cover NFL backs out of the backfield or play the nickel, which he would have to do given his size. I think he only weighs about 215, which would be extremely small for an NFL LB. I would not be surprised if he gets drafted or at least makes a practice squad, which is what i said. I just find it difficult to believe he will get much on field playing time as a LB.
I'm not trying to attack what you said, I'm just stating my opinion. I think he's fast enough that he will stick with a team, regardless of how he gets there. He just has a nose for the ball and there is no hesitation to his game. The great thing is we'll get to watch whatever happens to unfold. I'm happy for him and his success to date, and I know you are too.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not trying to attack what you said, I'm just stating my opinion. I think he's fast enough that he will stick with a team, regardless of how he gets there. He just has a nose for the ball and there is no hesitation to his game. The great thing is we'll get to watch whatever happens to unfold. I'm happy for him and his success to date, and I know you are too.
I did not take it as an attack. Just a difference in opinion. I was not trying to be defensive, but rather was just trying to clarify my position.

Again, he is an exceptional college football player and great representative of the White & Old Gold. Good luck to him in his effort to make the NFL.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I hope Charlie can play in the NFL if that's what he has worked toward. He doesn't hit all the metrics they look for but not many have as much heart and desire. Jose was the same in BB but he has gotten a chance and proved he can play at that level. Let's hope Charlie can too.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
I hope Charlie can play in the NFL if that's what he has worked toward. He doesn't hit all the metrics they look for but not many have as much heart and desire. Jose was the same in BB but he has gotten a chance and proved he can play at that level. Let's hope Charlie can too.
Good analogy on Jose Alvarado. I agree, Charlie can overcome the usual tape measure biases, 40 yard time....he is a true gamer, and his motor doesn't stop. Surely special teams await, if not more.