Charles Kelly potential new DC at Auburn

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking back, I wish we could have figured out a way to keep him on staff. I really like the direction he took our D as interim coordinator and he was one of our best recruiters. He is credited for brining in JT and DJ White according to rivals and has done a pretty good job recruiting for FSU. Wish him the best of luck!

Edit: made 580,000 last year at FSU. Muschamp was getting paid 1.6 million, so expecting a huge pay raise. Not a bad last few years for the guy!

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/report-florida-state-coach-expected-to-become-next-auburn-dc

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Was a long time position coach and then left ga tech. Good to see tech guys do well.

Now we need fsu to hire a dc that has no clue in the TO

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is good news. When Coach Dodd was at the Flats, we sent coaches all over the country to take over new jobs: Ray Graves, Dee Andros, and, of course, Ray Graves. It's nice to see Tach assistants being selected for advanced positions around the country again.

And, I might add, so much for the "Coach can't pick good assistants on D" thread. It sin't the quality of the coaches; it's the difficulty in getting the requisite talent, particularly at interior positions, into Tech. Perhaps the last years crop will begin to put paid to this problem.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Didn't he leave to be closer to his family?
I always thought he wanted the DC job permanently after the improvement during his interim stint, and he left when he realized it wasn't going to happen. Position coach at FSU was a step up pay wise and led to him getting DC job down there the next year.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure CPJ is on record of saying something along the lines of "We were working to keep him here full time till we saw what FSU offered him. I knew he was gone then."

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Funny how coaches become better when they end up at schools that recruit better. The defense improved some during the back half of 2012, but it was still shredded by BYU and UGA. FSU's defense is gonna be insane next year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Funny how coaches become better when they end up at schools that recruit better. The defense improved some during the back half of 2012, but it was still shredded by BYU and UGA. FSU's defense is gonna be insane next year.
I haven't seen a schedule if one exists, but if we play both Clemson -- which we should -- and FSU, we had better be ready for some relentless athletes across the line. The offense will be sorely tested even if it is good again. People tend to forget this was supposed to be a down year for Clemson -- in their jargon, less than double digit wins -- and next year the monster year. Yet their D line lost a 5-star, 2-year starter very quickly, he got well and came back, and cannot get back on the field. This league may rival the best in the country far quicker than we thought.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen a schedule if one exists, but if we play both Clemson -- which we should -- and FSU, we had better be ready for some relentless athletes across the line. The offense will be sorely tested even if it is good again. People tend to forget this was supposed to be a down year for Clemson -- in their jargon, less than double digit wins -- and next year the monster year. Yet their D line lost a 5-star, 2-year starter very quickly, he got well and came back, and cannot get back on the field. This league may rival the best in the country far quicker than we thought.
Our two atlantic next year are Clemson and BC

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I haven't been impressed with his work at fsu. I loved the guy while here though, he really held the defense together after Groh got fired.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty sure CPJ is on record of saying something along the lines of "We were working to keep him here full time till we saw what FSU offered him. I knew he was gone then."

I think CPJ wanted to keep him on staff, but he was not going to make him the DC. Kelly was the LB coach at FSU for a year before being promoted to the DC. Either way, I'm sure the money FSU offered was a lot more than what GT was going to pay.