Charles Kelly new FSU DC

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, we can't complain about the job Roof has done in one yr. I expect the D to continue to improve and fit his mold. Kelly would have been good, too. Either way, we would have done well. Congrats to Coach Kelly.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I thought he did a good job for Tech in the interim and would have loved him as DC. Congrats to the guy he has some really good tools to work with.

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan
Paul Johnson has very little appreciation in viewing asst coaches and judging their value. His track record speaks for itself. It's just not one of his strengths, and could be his most glaring weakness.

I wouldn't say that. I can think of 3 head coaches off the top of my head that came from the CPJ coaching tree.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No, he said that he had indeed interviewed for the job but just didn't get it. The offer from FSU was already on the table and when he didn't get our DC job, he decided to take the FSU job.
I remember him leaving before the process was over. I think he withdrew his candidacy in order to accept the FSU position.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Coach Kelly and CPJ talked...Kelly was never going to be hired. CPJ's job was/is on the line with last years hire of Roof. He couldn't afford to risk his job with a guy who hadn't been a DC in quite some time. (not counting interim)

Roof was the logical choice.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, we can't complain about the job Roof has done in one yr. I expect the D to continue to improve and fit his mold. Kelly would have been good, too. Either way, we would have done well. Congrats to Coach Kelly.
Yep did us a good job and is rewarded with a great job with........tons of athletes..Good Job Coach !

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Coach Kelly and CPJ talked...Kelly was never going to be hired. CPJ's job was/is on the line with last years hire of Roof. He couldn't afford to risk his job with a guy who hadn't been a DC in quite some time. (not counting interim)

Roof was the logical choice.

What's the source for this? It's kind of weird to think of CPJ putting his job in the hands of a guy who at some level wants it.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember him leaving before the process was over. I think he withdrew his candidacy in order to accept the FSU position.

LOL, I'm telling you I talked to Coach Kelly himself. He told me that he had met with Coach Johnson (he said interviewed, but whatever) and that he since he wasn't getting the defensive coordinator position, he felt he really couldn't turn down the offer from FSU.

It may have been before the hiring of Roof but I can assure you that he did not quit to take the FSU job until after he was told he wasn't getting this job.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone saying they'd rather have coach Roof and his top 15 defense with the same personnel as Groh/Kelly had are complete fools. Sorry.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
LOL, I'm telling you I talked to Coach Kelly himself. He told me that he had met with Coach Johnson (he said interviewed, but whatever) and that he since he wasn't getting the defensive coordinator position, he felt he really couldn't turn down the offer from FSU.

It may have been before the hiring of Roof but I can assure you that he did not quit to take the FSU job until after he was told he wasn't getting this job.
I good with this. I remember him accepting the FSU job before the hiring process was over. That being said, if Kelly was at a point where he knew he wasn't getting the job (and obviously from your conversation, he was), he made the move. Good for him becoming FSU's DC. Now, I hope he trips all over his tongue and never gets another recruit we're battling for.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand what you're saying. Are you being positive or negative about CPJ choosing Roof over Kelly?
Positive. Extremely positive. I would take Roof 100 times and again over Kelly. Sorry, and I am happy for Kelly, but this is his first gig. Roof has 10+ years at the highest levels if coaching. Not his first rodeo and the way he turned our defense around last year showed the experience.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Congrats to CCK. He went to greener pastures that have so for ended up much greener... $'s too!

I think we're good with CTR.

Congrats to CCK. He went to greener pastures that have so for ended up much greener... $'s too!

I think we're good with CTR.

We are good with Coach Ted Roof for the same reasons we are good with 7 wins a year for four years. Charles Kelly is with a 14-0 team. That is 7 plus 7 more, and no losses. He didn't create the championship, but somebody who did thinks he's the kind of coach to keep it going. I don't know, but I am willing to bet that Coach Roof did not get a call from Urban Meyer or James Franklin,or Charley Strong or Bobby Petrino, or Jimbo Fisher when they all needed a DC recently. Didn't get a call and probably didn't even get a thought. That is the difference between Charles Kelly and Ted Roof.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is hard for me to imagine ANY coach doing better with what Roof had to work with in 2013. Things were not perfect, but clearly, he has us on a path to playing better defense. We were not a stout defense by any means, but I had a ton more confidence in that group, than the last 3 or so before that.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We are good with Coach Ted Roof for the same reasons we are good with 7 wins a year for four years. Charles Kelly is with a 14-0 team. That is 7 plus 7 more, and no losses. He didn't create the championship, but somebody who did thinks he's the kind of coach to keep it going. I don't know, but I am willing to bet that Coach Roof did not get a call from Urban Meyer or James Franklin,or Charley Strong or Bobby Petrino, or Jimbo Fisher when they all needed a DC recently. Didn't get a call and probably didn't even get a thought. That is the difference between Charles Kelly and Ted Roof.
And you know Kelly did and Roof didn't, how? To me, this is a "trolling" comment and wreaks of "agenda."

I would think most head coaches would go with the seasoned DC (with head coaching experience), with a track record of improving defensive performance, over a bright coach with no coordinator experience, especially if said coach felt his job was at risk. Additionally, even easier when said seasoned DC was a celebrated alumnus and stand-out defensive player from the school. Easy choice, except for someone who may be trying to forward an agenda.

If I'm wrong, I take it all back (the agenda stuff, that is), but I don't think I am. Let's try to keep it positive.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
You might be willing to bet that, but I'd bet that Auburn and Penn State both called him. And, Roof got those 7+7 wins at Auburn too. He didn't create that championship but somebody who did thought he should be their DC. Who thought that? Gene Chizik - the other DC at Auburn last time they went undefeated - ie a guy who would know a good DC.