Chargers fire OC Whisenhunt

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think Whisenhunt would have been a disaster. He’s not a good fit for the job at all. Collins was able to assemble a staff full of coaches with fairly strong resumés because he had made so many connections in his time coaching at various schools. He was able to carry over guys like Wiesehan and Thacker because they were on his staff at Temple and wanted to keep working with him. He was able to bring in guys like Kerry Dixon because they had worked together at previous jobs. And he was able to convince Brent Key to come over from Bama by selling him on his vision for the program. Whisenhunt’s connections are likely NFL coaches for the most part. Hiring NFL coaches to turn a college program around is a very risky move. I can’t even imagine who Whisenhunt would get to join him at Tech. And he would have been completely new to recruiting. He was far from a safe hire and likely would have done to our program what Charlie Weis did to Kansas. I hope Ken can still find another NFL job though.

I kinda wish he had been without work enough for Collins to hire Wise as an OC. His version of prostyle west coast would have worked and having a superbowl winning OC (steelers XL) might have lead to some potential recruiting wins in the QB room. But no one is leaving an NFL job for a college one. when it would be a Coordinator for Coordinator transition.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I understand, but dont totally agree with, what you are saying.

bama unified - yep.
Mich unified - no
Texas unified - nope.
Even ou (today) is not totally unified.
Ugag not unified.
Unc - yep
n.d. - nope.

It varies almost everywhere week to week.

being a long time tosu fan. my perspective of that program was unity. being united can minimize weaknesses. we like to use the phrase 'he lost his team' a lot for programs that falter. cgc may have a lot of issues but maintaining a united team will not be one of them. imo

the more i hear the more i like. the players sure seem to be bought into this and thats what counts the most.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I kinda wish he had been without work enough for Collins to hire Wise as an OC. His version of prostyle west coast would have worked

Have to respectfully disagree with this. If you want to see why, just look at how Michigan has struggled against teams with equal or better talent, same with LSU before they changed to an OC that came from Sean Payton's Saint's staff, Stanford is no longer as dominant as they use to be with their west coast "pro" scheme and they're recruiting as well as you can for a "smart school".

If you want a picture of what a West Coast based offense would have done at GT, just look to what happened at Nebraska when Bill Callahan took over...and Nebraska didn't have the academic restrictions GT does.

As I said earlier in this thread, coaches who refuse to adapt and implement modern day concepts are getting phased out of the NFL. Guys like Bill Belichek and Andy Reid understand that your offense has to adapt to the defenses evolving AND the talent coming out of college. Many NFL coaches are adamant about fitting guys into their system instead of the other way around. Those coaches are now being slowly moved out of the NFL.

We will see how it plays out for Patenaude, but history suggest that when GT's offense is schematically advantageous (Friedgen, CPJ) we have done extremely well.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Have to respectfully disagree with this. If you want to see why, just look at how Michigan has struggled against teams with equal or better talent, same with LSU before they changed to an OC that came from Sean Payton's Saint's staff, Stanford is no longer as dominant as they use to be with their west coast "pro" scheme and they're recruiting as well as you can for a "smart school".

If you want a picture of what a West Coast based offense would have done at GT, just look to what happened at Nebraska when Bill Callahan took over...and Nebraska didn't have the academic restrictions GT does.

As I said earlier in this thread, coaches who refuse to adapt and implement modern day concepts are getting phased out of the NFL. Guys like Bill Belichek and Andy Reid understand that your offense has to adapt to the defenses evolving AND the talent coming out of college. Many NFL coaches are adamant about fitting guys into their system instead of the other way around. Those coaches are now being slowly moved out of the NFL.

We will see how it plays out for Patenaude, but history suggest that when GT's offense is schematically advantageous (Friedgen, CPJ) we have done extremely well.

Wisenhunts prostyle is based on a power run game which would have fit us well this year until we could get a quarterback. As we are seeing lately we are rather good at running power and inside zone. We struggle with outside zone concepts.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Wisenhunts prostyle is based on a power run game which would have fit us well this year until we could get a quarterback. As we are seeing lately we are rather good at running power and inside zone. We struggle with outside zone concepts.

the running game didnt really appear until we had the ol up to speed. wiz wouldnt have made much of a difference in the first 6 games.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
the running game didnt really appear until we had the ol up to speed. wiz wouldnt have made much of a difference in the first 6 games.

When you are operating out of the I with hands in the dirt its lless of a transition.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Whisenhunt is old school football. The game is changing and "old school" coaches in the NFL who don't accept the changing landscape in football and don't want to adapt are getting phased out. It's why you don't see Chan Gailey mentioned anymore. After he was fired, he was actually a "hot" name for many OC jobs...and he eventually got another shot at being an NFL head coach.

Ken is a good guy, and a great GT representative...but he would have been a disaster here.
Bill Belichik And Nick Saban said Hi!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Bill Belichik And Nick Saban said Hi!

Curious what you mean here. Both run very modern offensive concepts; yes they are old coaches but schematically they are about as up to date as anyone.

I think what the poster was referring to is no one is trotting out bo schembechlers offense anymore and he is right. If u do u might as well quit

GTFLETCH

Banned
Will CGC pull a CPJ and fire his OC and hire Wisenhunt as OC??? Would Ken be willing to be our OC at Tech??