Changing Hard Drives in older Desktop

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
My neighborhood computer guy says my old spinning HD ought to be changed out to a SSD. Is that process as simple as some youtube vids show? Hook up power and data to desktop, run SSD manufacturer cloning software, install new SSD in available slot inside desktop case?

slugboy

Staff member
Hard drives are easier to work with than RAM, but don’t drop it, etc. You’re probably OK.

Something else to keep in mind with Microsoft Windows is that it generates a signature based on the hardware you use. Changing the SSD probably won’t be enough, but changing out the motherboard would mean revalidating your license. If you don’t have your old license key, things might not activate correctly. I’d make sure you have a serial number handy.

The drawback to replacing components and keeping an old PC going is that you start getting out of supported configurations for Windows. If your PC doesn’t support Windows 11, maybe it’s worth migrating to a new laptop or desktop entirely?

{Says the guy who gets frustrated because the equipment he nurses along is no longer compatible with the current OS}

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My neighborhood computer guy says my old spinning HD ought to be changed out to a SSD. Is that process as simple as some youtube vids show? Hook up power and data to desktop, run SSD manufacturer cloning software, install new SSD in available slot inside desktop case?
You can do it. The start up time will improve and you will never want to go back. slugboy's comments are legit and should be considered.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Hard drives are easier to work with than RAM, but don’t drop it, etc. You’re probably OK.

Something else to keep in mind with Microsoft Windows is that it generates a signature based on the hardware you use. Changing the SSD probably won’t be enough, but changing out the motherboard would mean revalidating your license. If you don’t have your old license key, things might not activate correctly. I’d make sure you have a serial number handy.

The drawback to replacing components and keeping an old PC going is that you start getting out of supported configurations for Windows. If your PC doesn’t support Windows 11, maybe it’s worth migrating to a new laptop or desktop entirely?

{Says the guy who gets frustrated because the equipment he nurses along is no longer compatible with the current OS}
Thanks for the reply. This desktop is in our home office but is not used all that much mostly for basic home computing. It’s a Dell with an i3 processor. It works ok but is slow at startup. After it “wakes up” it runs just fine.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
You can do it. The start up time will improve and you will never want to go back. slugboy's comments are legit and should be considered.
The computer takes a while to wake up but after that it does ok, thanks for the reply, buzz

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Have a about 10 YO desktop Dell Inspiron XP5 with i5.... 1TB internal failed about 4 years ago - "Here's you sign..." got stuck in a do loop booting up, then crashed....." - took it to a local repair shop in Huntsville & now have a 250MB SSD internal for basic Win10, M/S Office, and Photoshop, plus a few other gadget software items. Cost<$250 including trying to recover my old data (unsuccessful), installing new SSD, extra RAM, and Win10.

For all data, photos, music, etc., I use a 1TB Samsung SSD for primary storage and another 1TB Samsung SSD for backup. About once a week, or right before we leave on a trip, I do a copy & paste backup of my primary directories to the spare & haul it along with my laptop (replaced a 1TB traditional internal with a 500TB Samsung SSD).

You much younger Cloud-devotees are shaking your collective heads, but the Cloud isn't always available.

Just one OldeFarTekker's opinion.