Chan Gailey hired by Jets...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Chan really thought like a pro coach when he was at Tech. The best talent always went to Tenuta because in the pros you win with D. And, sure enough, we won with D.

I agree with the post above about Reggie never developing to his full potential, but part of that was Chan thinking like a pro coach again. In his freshman year, Reg had his best completion average, but threw more INTs then TDs. Chan got on his case about that and Reg began to throw the ball away more and take fewer sacks. Sure enough, in his senior year he had his lowest completion average, but led the ACC in TD passes and total TDs. What we were never able to do is get Reg to the point where he could do everything at a high level at once. I think part of that was that he listened to Chan and quit taking risks. But that's part of the game in college.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think Chan really thought like a pro coach when he was at Tech. The best talent always went to Tenuta because in the pros you win with D. And, sure enough, we won with D.

I agree with the post above about Reggie never developing to his full potential, but part of that was Chan thinking like a pro coach again. In his freshman year, Reg had his best completion average, but threw more INTs then TDs. Chan got on his case about that and Reg began to throw the ball away more and take fewer sacks. Sure enough, in his senior year he had his lowest completion average, but led the ACC in TD passes and total TDs. What we were never able to do is get Reg to the point where he could do everything at a high level at once. I think part of that was that he listened to Chan and quit taking risks. But that's part of the game in college.

Reggie had some good games and some great moments. Unfortunately I will always remember the 4 bad games he had against UGA, and I believe 2 of those games we were the stronger team coming in.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Chan is a great scout of talent and he is a good coach, head coach or otherwise. The biggest problem of his tenure here was his ability to bring in a QB. That is it. He has been lambasted by the fanbase and ridiculed unmercifully, but the truth is, he would have had a much more successful time here if he could have just brought in a QB. Ultimately, it was his downfall. We can talk about "too conservative" or whatever, but the guy knows football. People who paint him as some retard just don't understand the game.

He is a good man and a good coach. At the time, I didn't want him to go, unlike most of the fan base. However, oddly enough, after he was let go, and it was over, the guy I wanted most was CPJ, and we got him. Go figure. In no way do I want to go back, but I will admit, at the time, I was against letting him go.

I wish Chan well and I hope he has a good rest of his NFL career. If I were UGA, I would have gone after Chan for OC before the guy they did hire.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
Helluva golfer and nice gentleman and good scout of talent but not an innovator. NYJ?????? Ha ha ha. That media cluster will chew him alive.

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
He is a great guy. I have had the pleasure of getting to know him. He is very positive and never says anything negative about Tech. Most of the people who speak bad of him are the same ones that wanted to fire CPJ at the end of last season.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I've thought PJ would do a great job here, since his early days as Georgia Southern's OC. Never have doubted that he is the right man for the Tech job. Don't have fond memories of Chan's time at GT, and he was losing the fan base rapidly. He is obviously well thought of, as he continues to get hired. Wish him well, just not anywhere around Georgia Tech.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
I look at Chan this way: If GT had the BC AD who fired the Eagles Coach who had won a couple of Atlantic Championships after he told him NOT to go interview for the NFL job, as opposed to Braine, then we never would have gotten CPJ. So I don't know if I should thank Chan or Braine for that? Thank you both!

What I will always remember though is after the 2006 Yellow Jackets were 9 and 2 heading into COFH, that started the absolute WORST sequence of football coaching ever witnessed in the history of the gridiron with a loss to the Mutts; Wake Forest; and WVU! Each loss worse than the prior one. Absolutely the most atrocious coaching job ever seen!

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching that greenbay/Seattle game reminded me of so many chan gailey games, where we would have a lead and have so many opportunities to close out games, but would conservative play call/game manage our way into giving the other team just enough opportunities to beat us. I thought chan gailey was a nice man and a decent coach. As a game manager he always wanted to wait for the other team to lose the game rather than trying to win it himself. It was so frustrating to watch. Good look jets fans. Hope you enjoy 7-9 seasons and kicking field goals when you really need touchdowns.