CGC Radio Show

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Mistakes happen, and it's tough that we share radio with the Braves, but this is literally keystone cops stuff. I mean, we know when the Braves play and when they broadcast. This is the kind of basic stuff that we just struggle to get right.

This organizational malaise that has plagued the GTAA has transcended decades and several AD's. Honestly, I can see and understand how it is difficult for the GT FB program to be more than just a frequent competitor in the ACC Coastal.

But the inability to run a professional and efficient organization (in this case, the GTAA) is NOT. We may not be able to hire the cream of the crop of FB HC's but it DOES seem achievable to hire top talent in that (AD) role. And, btw, this isn't strictly a knock against TStan - the guys before him seemed unable to effect a much needed cultural change in that group.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
This organizational malaise that has plagued the GTAA has transcended decades and several AD's. Honestly, I can see and understand how it is difficult for the GT FB program to be more than just a frequent competitor in the ACC Coastal.

But the inability to run a professional and efficient organization (in this case, the GTAA) is NOT. We may not be able to hire the cream of the crop of FB HC's but it DOES seem achievable to hire top talent in that (AD) role. And, btw, this isn't strictly a knock against TStan - the guys before him seemed unable to effect a much needed cultural change in that group.
Agreed. If I were CGC I would be kicking wastebaskets around (at a high level :D ). It isn't just a knock at TS, but it is his organization and his problem to fix. It's just a terrible look.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

My impression of GTAA with my interactions with them is that it is 100% Government mentality operating under government type rules and setup and therefore I do not expect any more from them. I'm guessing no one has a chance to change the culture unless the whole setup is changed and they either do not want to go through all it would take to change it or they are not allowed to change it for whatever reasons. Just my experience and opinion.
In talking with a retired GT professor about the culture of the entire school administration culture not being good, he agreed with me and said he watched it change about 30 years ago, that it used to be much different. The 30 years could be off some in the exact time. He did not give me a reason why he thought it happened.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My impression of GTAA with my interactions with them is that it is 100% Government mentality operating under government type rules and setup and therefore I do not expect any more from them. I'm guessing no one has a chance to change the culture unless the whole setup is changed and they either do not want to go through all it would take to change it or they are not allowed to change it for whatever reasons. Just my experience and opinion.
In talking with a retired GT professor about the culture of the entire school administration culture not being good, he agreed with me and said he watched it change about 30 years ago, that it used to be much different. The 30 years could be off some in the exact time. He did not give me a reason why he thought it happened.
Some of the best service I’ve ever gotten in life was from the Government and some of the worst was from a for-profit corporation.

I mention this to say there might be a better way to describe the problem at Tech that helps people understand. Just saying “Government” makes you sound like a cliche spouting grandpa and doesn’t really shed light on a problem we would all like to understand and change.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Some of the best service I’ve ever gotten in life was from the Government and some of the worst was from a for-profit corporation.

I mention this to say there might be a better way to describe the problem at Tech that helps people understand. Just saying “Government” makes you sound like a cliche spouting grandpa and doesn’t really shed light on a problem we would all like to understand and change.
Although it's cliche and stereotyping, it absolutely paints the picture of what the font was trying to describe. Anyone who has waited at the DMV, SS office, or post office knows exactly what "government mentality" means.

slugboy

Staff member

It's been nearly 30 years since Homer Rice (I need to check my numbers and do the math). That's a lot of entrenched behavior.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, I wasn't talking about everywhere, my personal experience is with, Veterans Administration, IRS, Social Security, Public Education, Military, Defense Department. That's not everywhere, but it all belongs to the Federal Government. So, you think bureaucracies and bureaucrats are good? Do you work for one?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
For those who say CGC’s pressers are “no different than any other coach” please listen to CGC and then to Chris Weinke. Yeah, they’re different. Very different.

Andy Demetras malaprop referring to Weinke as head coach Chris Weinke was pretty hilarious

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I will give u the reason clough. Its that simple. Started there.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The government bureaucracy, any bureaucracy, screws up anything it's controlling. It's usually run by self-important people with no imagination or common sense.
Again, that’s a cliche that sheds little light on helping me understand the problem at Tech. Most of the self important people I have met were business owners. But that doesn’t mean all business owners act self important. Most people I have known in government were true public servants. But that doesn’t mean everyone in government is a servant.

I just wish people could give a rational explanation for what is going wrong at Tech sans emotionalism or useless cliches.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Although it's cliche and stereotyping, it absolutely paints the picture of what the font was trying to describe. Anyone who has waited at the DMV, SS office, or post office knows exactly what "government mentality" means.
If something is poorly run I instantly think of several well known golf courses around the world that are losing money. So, no, just saying “government” sheds no more light on the topic than saying “golf course.”

But the key word here is “light.” Like, what’s actually wrong at Tech?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, I wasn't talking about everywhere, my personal experience is with, Veterans Administration, IRS, Social Security, Public Education, Military, Defense Department. That's not everywhere, but it all belongs to the Federal Government. So, you think bureaucracies and bureaucrats are good? Do you work for one?
Not sure who you were asking the question of but this is what I would say. “Bureaucracy” has, rightly or wrongly, become a stigmatized word. Replace that with the word “organization” and you have a value neutral word that can then be modified with an adjective like good or bad.

I have certainly run into government agencies that were badly run organizations. It may have been bad from the top down or it may be that I simply encounter an incompetent or poor local representative. My good experiences with the government involved the IRS, a U.S. embassy, the Post Office, Georgia State Patrol and Social Security, to name a few. The worst experiences I have ever had with organizations were with restaurants, airlines, retail stores, insurance companies, builders and chambers of commerce.

But my personal experience doesn’t prove any more than your personal experience. Which is why I was looking for something more that I could sink my teeth into.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
For those who say CGC’s pressers are “no different than any other coach” please listen to CGC and then to Chris Weinke. Yeah, they’re different. Very different.

Andy Demetras malaprop referring to Weinke as head coach Chris Weinke was pretty hilarious
About 15 minutes after I heard Weinke's first interview as GT QB coach, I realized he is about 4 years from a HC position. Either at GT or somewhere else but that guy is a HC in waiting.