CGC on 680

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
What is our infatuation with bringing assistant coaches back to Georgia Tech that have been here previously? I want the best coaches we can get. I don't care if they are coaching at a blue blood, Power 5, BCS, FCS, D2, D3, high school, NFL, Japan, Europe, or Timbuktu.

I don't really see that blind infatuation like you do. It just so happens that some of the coaches people want back here happen to be damn good ones.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
What is our infatuation with bringing assistant coaches back to Georgia Tech that have been here previously? I want the best coaches we can get. I don't care if they are coaching at a blue blood, Power 5, BCS, FCS, D2, D3, high school, NFL, Japan, Europe, or Timbuktu.

I think the impulse to want former GT coaches back mostly comes from those coaches already being familiar with the difficulties of recruiting to Tech, and not being caught flat footed by the hurdles they’d face.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Don't worry, it pretty much happens at every school. But you are correct...the overall "our boy" syndrome is kinda ridiculous.

Joeb21

Jolly Good Fellow
It is truly a strange phenomenon. Personally, I want a fresh start with all new faces. I don't want to live in the past.

slugboy

Staff member
We've had coaches who have been effective at other stops, but not here. For example, Dave Wommack had highly rated defenses at the other places where he was a DC, but not here. I don't think anyone wants to bring Dave Wommack back.

When you have a coach who's been good, and been good here, you want that coach back because they're a good bet. But we're not all that realistic; for example, I want a 29-year-old Ralph Friedgen at OC who is an energetic recruiter and knows all he learned over years of coaching but is also open to new ideas.

It's also the silly season, when people talk about getting Mike Martz or Sean McVay or Sean Payton to be our OC.