CGC impact

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Just wanted to post this. I don't remember a professional team or college team using the area code as a rallying cry for the fan base. 404 was started by CGC and looks like Urban is trying to copy him down in Jacksonville. Now we all know Ludacris was using area codes in the 90's, but not in the same way 🤫 .

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Just wanted to post this. I don't remember a professional team or college team using the area code as a rallying cry for the fan base. 404 was started by CGC and looks like Urban is trying to copy him down in Jacksonville. Now we all know Ludacris was using area codes in the 90's, but not in the same way 🤫 .

Meh, this is probably debatable at best. Miami has used 305 for a while. And while it’s not quite the same thing, UCF and other schools have put the player’s individual area codes on their helmets
D6034E1E-8ACE-4CAC-B58B-C60B1638D691.jpeg

40ED04D6-C0B6-42DC-BDEC-0CB82C88DDFC.jpeg

I’m sure other schools and teams have used their area codes in promotional messages before. CGC and Tech are just emphasizing it more than anyone else.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
My statement was about a program putting the area code out front and center and marketing it, and that I hadn't seen it. None of the points yall have made detract from that.

Sure Reggie Bush had it on his eye black, but that is different from what we are doing. Tim Tebow had scripture verses on his eye black but the team wasn't branding on it. Same goes for UCF and the players hometown area code, or just local yocals throwing it around.

The fact that after 2 years of solid 404 branding for OUR TEAM and it being mentioned over and over on broadcasts of our games, that an NFL coach mentions the area code as a rallying phrase is something. I just thought that an NFL coach, who has been covering college ball for the last 2 years, mentioning it one state over was a neat thing. Forgot about the eyerolling crowd towards CGC. Glad to know yall are doing well!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You guys missed it. It's all about the 757 and Michael Vick going and resurrecting the VT program a decade or more ago.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The fact that after 2 years of solid 404 branding for OUR TEAM and it being mentioned over and over on broadcasts of our games, that an NFL coach mentions the area code as a rallying phrase is something.
It's probably just a happy coincidence. The Jags could hire the same marketing agency Tech did (J1S). But since Tech's challenges are different, I doubt very much the Jags would adopt the same brand strategy. (The head coach does not usually run marketing, so again ... Urban may have quipped this, but I wouldn't read too much into it.)

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yeah pretty much everybody uses this to varying degrees. Miami and VPI as mentioned in this thread already have both used it heavily in the ACC. This is nothing new to college football. Just new to us.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
You guys missed it. It's all about the 757 and Michael Vick going and resurrecting the VT program a decade or more ago.

And now it’s resurrecting UNC with Dre Bly cherry picking basically anybody he wants out of the 757.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

I hear a lot of "Elite" and "Love our players"....

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Someday, most people will associate 404 with GT, and not "Page not Found".
I think it meant more 20 years ago. Now, with 678, 770, 706 etc ... the metro area is diluted with numbers so it may not have the impact it might have earlier. It's clever though and I hope it works.

Tech may very well improve recruiting and even (gasp) on field performance. My concern is the changing demographics of the fanbase. Older fans (who donate $$$) are dying off and I'm not aware that newer graduates are stepping up to replace them.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think it meant more 20 years ago. Now, with 678, 770, 706 etc ... the metro area is diluted with numbers so it may not have the impact it might have earlier. It's clever though and I hope it works.

Tech may very well improve recruiting and even (gasp) on field performance. My concern is the changing demographics of the fanbase. Older fans (who donate $$$) are dying off and I'm not aware that newer graduates are stepping up to replace them.
We discussed this issue in another thread like a year or 2 ago. You're right. Even with the GT class sizes growing, we are not replacing the "old classes" with high dollar donations to the Football program or GTAA. There is an extreme lull from the mid 90s to the late 2010's where the majority of your students were not interested in football. Not to the degree that a clemson, uga, bama, tennessee student may be. We do have a different breed of student. They are usually more academically focused, and the whole party till 5 am, binge drinking during game day is not in their weekly lineup. Most grads of the schools I listed above riminess of the drunken weekends on campus. Their highlights were those huge parties and sleeping around and all. Some GT students have those same shared memories, but not to the degree of those schools. To me those schools hold a "closer place to their heart" to their students due to the more laid back student body. What we don't see going on behind the scenes is Collins has slowly tried to change the attitude of the school as a whole. He is trying to make it more energized in the sense of game day. I am sure if he could find a way to create GTs version of The Grove he would. The more drunken loud students the better. Simply because if it doesn't pay in yelling and screaming for the Yellow Jackets today, it will hopefully pay down the road when they miss their :glory days" and wish they could go back to school to be with their friends and party.

I asked about 20 co workers about their favorite part of their college career. Here are the 4 responses I received. I list the reasons, how many responded, to that general reason, and which schools they attended. If multiple schools said the same thing multiple times then there is a number to show how many equal responses from that same school.

The friendships, and first time freedoms (6) - Auburn(2), Florida A&M, Alabama, Kennesaw State, Ga State.

The parties, the women, the fun of not caring what happened next (5) - Florida, uga(2), Miss State, Kennesaw State.

Playing their sport for their school (4)- uga, GA State, UTC, Toledo.

Leaving, graduating, I got out. (5)- Georgia Tech(4), Kennesaw State(1).

This supported my theory of the best thing a GT grad remembers of school is leaving LOLOL. I get it, but that has to change if we want to raise more money.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This supported my theory of the best thing a GT grad remembers of school is leaving LOLOL. I get it, but that has to change if we want to raise more money.
This is very well stated and supports what I have noticed over the years. My friends and colleagues (from other schools) have a different type of recollection about their college days than I do. I am glad I went but don't look back at it with any type of sentimental nostalgia. I do keep up with a handful of my buddies though.

I had the same type of experience at GT as I did when I hiked the Appalachian Trail. There were times of extreme pleasure and joy but many, many more hours of just grinding through snow, rain, heat, bugs, mud, pain, fatigue, thirst and hunger. I am glad I did it but it wasn't a picnic to be sure.

My recollection of GT - "that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger". Not exactly a sexy marketing slogan is it?

Last edited: