CGC/Dabo Post Game Pressers

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have the opposite opinion. Last year they tried everything they could to not run the score up against us - including throwing the freaking punter in the game to give us a fighting chance to stop them.

We were just that bad.
Yeah, they were not the only team that couldn’t help scoring a lot of points on us. 🤣 Syracuse and Georgia come to mind off the top of my head. Our job was to stop those teams last year and we just couldn’t do it. iiwwii

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Have yet to surrender a TD after 3 games including the #2 team in the nation. So yea they're pretty dang good.
FEI ratings had Clemson ranked as the #1 defense going into our game. Haven't seen a post-game update for that particular stat but I suspect they may remain near the top. I didn't hear Collins say "best of all time"; I heard "best in college football", which is not just hype if you agree with some of the rankings. I could have heard wrong though and agree Collins has a propensity to overhype our opponent.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Based on CGC's comments, it sounds like we kept our best defense out of the first two games to use it here. I know you don't want to lose to Clemson by 66, but I'd rather do that than lose to a G5 team at home.
I only watched the presser once before reading the thread, but I'm fairly confident you misunderstood/misinterpreted what he said. If I recall correctly, his point was that the coaches and players were not yet confident enough to run that defensive package before this week.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Based on CGC's comments, it sounds like we kept our best defense out of the first two games to use it here. I know you don't want to lose to Clemson by 66, but I'd rather do that than lose to a G5 team at home.
No, based on on your interpretation.

It’s nice of you to declare that a defense we have never played in is our best defense for game 1. ???????

slugboy

Staff member
Going through Collins’ presser:
  • we have some speed and worked hard to get plays in to get our guys into space, and it worked a few times
  • he said Clemson “is one of the best defenses in college football” and “has one of the elite front 7’s in college football”. I don’t think that’s hyperbole, and he was saying it in context of other things, such as what our line was expected to do
  • we apparently had some depth issues in the OL for this game
  • the 3-3-5 wasn’t ready in the first few weeks. They’ve been working on it for a while
  • lots of compliments to our grad assistants and how they helped with adjustments at the half.
  • looked like he was in some discomfort
  • focus is now on UNC next Saturday.
  • Players reconvene on Monday after a break today

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
I want CGC to succeed so badly. I think next year will be the year. He will need to make some staff changes at the end of the year.
I get a Brian Gregory feel though - high enthusiasm, disappointing coaching vibe.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I only watched the presser once before reading the thread, but I'm fairly confident you misunderstood/misinterpreted what he said. If I recall correctly, his point was that the coaches and players were not yet confident enough to run that defensive package before this week.

I think its a bit of column A, bit of column B runnign it agaisnt KSU would not have worked (it basically gives a 4-4 look against the option and that's literally the defense its designed to shred remember when southern tried to run it against us in 2016?) But i think they thought they wouldn't need it against NIU the more i look at it the mor eit look slike they took that game for granted. The offensive gameplan was to throw the deep ball to our recievers with Sims, when that didn't work they scrambled. the Defensive gameplan was to stay base, and that bit us when we didn't have something for 22. That honestly looks like the case that the coaches took that one for granted and laid an egg. They didn't take KSU for granted and it showed. they focused on clemson and it showed. Lets HOPE the rest of the schedule has this level of focus. we might win 6.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
No, based on on your interpretation.

It’s nice of you to declare that a defense we have never played in is our best defense for game 1. ???????

If you read my comment, I said 'it sounds like', not 'I declare.' What I will declare is that some of you have the social skills of porcupines and/or the reading skills of UGA football players.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think its a bit of column A, bit of column B runnign it agaisnt KSU would not have worked (it basically gives a 4-4 look against the option and that's literally the defense its designed to shred remember when southern tried to run it against us in 2016?) But i think they thought they wouldn't need it against NIU the more i look at it the mor eit look slike they took that game for granted. The offensive gameplan was to throw the deep ball to our recievers with Sims, when that didn't work they scrambled. the Defensive gameplan was to stay base, and that bit us when we didn't have something for 22. That honestly looks like the case that the coaches took that one for granted and laid an egg. They didn't take KSU for granted and it showed. they focused on clemson and it showed. Lets HOPE the rest of the schedule has this level of focus. we might win 6.
I agree with your post and I think this was the reason we lost to the Citadel. The staff overlooked preparation and figured we could just show up and win. We actually looked like the entire team was really motivated against Clemson with more extra effort than in our first two games. That loss last year was an embarrassment and the kids fought hard this year. Can we keep it up? I hope so. Better not be flat against UNC. They can see themselves winning the coastal. Not sure we have gotten to a point where we are more motivated than going to a bowl or just having a winning season.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
If you read my comment, I said 'it sounds like', not 'I declare.' What I will declare is that some of you have the social skills of porcupines and/or the reading skills of UGA football players.
Obviously I insulted you in some way. It wasn’t my intent. I just felt it was a reach to say that they held on to this magical 3 front for this game. Collins said they were finally ready (comfortable) enough to play in it.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your post and I think this was the reason we lost to the Citadel. The staff overlooked preparation and figured we could just show up and win. We actually looked like the entire team was really motivated against Clemson with more extra effort than in our first two games. That loss last year was an embarrassment and the kids fought hard this year. Can we keep it up? I hope so. Better not be flat against UNC. They can see themselves winning the coastal. Not sure we have gotten to a point where we are more motivated than going to a bowl or just having a winning season.

Yeah, that's what I believe as well. Not throwing stones. That's a call you make as a leader to focus more on X and less on Y. And sometimes it doesn't work out. I think they went base to keep that excellent coaching room at CU from having much to work with. I'm not sure it wasn't the right call if you think that NIU wasn't significantly improved vs 2020. But in retrospect...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that's what I believe as well. Not throwing stones. That's a call you make as a leader to focus more on X and less on Y. And sometimes it doesn't work out. I think they went base to keep that excellent coaching room at CU from having much to work with. I'm not sure it wasn't the right call if you think that NIU wasn't significantly improved vs 2020. But in retrospect...
This Saturday we will find out UNC I think has the best offense we will see this year.