CGC...Break the silent treatment: HC & DC

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Anybody on here who thinks that those of us who liked Johnson put Johnson over Tech are totally FOS. For the past 11 years, like him or not, Paul Johnson WAS Georgia Tech. I hate like hell that he has retired, but he thought it was time, and I support him, just like I will FULLY support CCG. And for as long as CCG is here, he, like Johnson, WILL BE Georgia Tech.
God, family, country Georgia Tech... In that order!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing:

2) When the academics start sliding and a few more folks start being ruled ineligible, I'm sure dressedcheese and others will be here to rub it in my face. Fair enough.

I doubt we'll see significant decline in grad rate. I doubt we'll see a decline at all. That's an issue TStan has emphasized for GT athletics (not just football) and it's a large part of our recruiting pitch that graduate SAs with an elite degree. Former SAs have all said the same thing, GT gives SAs all the resources they need, it's up to them to show up and do it. People forget, coaches can monitor kids, but at the end of the day it's the academic support department that does all the heavy lifting, and it's the kids doing the work. None of that changes when CPJ is gone. In fact, CGC has made graduating SAs part of his recruiting pitch as well.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I doubt we'll see significant decline in grad rate. I doubt we'll see a decline at all. That's an issue TStan has emphasized for GT athletics (not just football) and it's a large part of our recruiting pitch that graduate SAs with an elite degree. Former SAs have all said the same thing, GT gives SAs all the resources they need, it's up to them to show up and do it. People forget, coaches can monitor kids, but at the end of the day it's the academic support department that does all the heavy lifting, and it's the kids doing the work. None of that changes when CPJ is gone. In fact, CGC has made graduating SAs part of his recruiting pitch as well.
I agree, but I could be wrong. I argued against 33 on the defense issue when I felt people were piling on Roof, but I suspected he was right.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Seriously, y’all! Enough with the CPJ vs CGC stuff! CPJ did everything he could to try to have consistent success at Tech. He fell short a couple times, but he exceeded expectations other times. I expect the same will likely be true of CGC. I rooted for Paul Johnson since my first Georgia Tech game against West Carolina, and I wish him well in retirement. I will be rooting for Geoff Collins to win every game he coaches at Tech and to get the players and staff he needs to do so while representing the institute. CPJ and CGC are on the same side, and anyone rooting for either to fail is rooting against Georgia Tech.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've stayed on this board longer than any other GT board I read in the past. It easily became the most objective, civil, and informative GT site over the last several years.

There were always posters who were pro and anti CPJ/option. That ongoing debate was commonplace and part of the culture of this, and I'm sure all GT boards.

What's discouraging right now is the sudden appearance of brand new posters (or ones who seldom posted in the past) who seem to be looking to pick a fight with anyone who was pro-CPJ. Then, of course, there are a few of these posters who happily oblige them and turn every thread into a back-and-forth over the past (I admit to being guilty of this a time or two).

Go back and check the poll thread from a week or two ago. The vast majority of folks on this board are happy with the CGC hire. If you are one of these new posters claiming that this board is full of "pro CPJ over GT" people, you're just wrong. You can ignore them just like some have probably ignored you.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Seriously, y’all! Enough with the CPJ vs CGC stuff! CPJ did everything he could to try to have consistent success at Tech. He fell short a couple times, but he exceeded expectations other times. I expect the same will likely be true of CGC. I rooted for Paul Johnson since my first Georgia Tech game against West Carolina, and I wish him well in retirement. I will be rooting for Geoff Collins to win every game he coaches at Tech and to get the players and staff he needs to do so while representing the institute. CPJ and CGC are on the same side, and anyone rooting for either to fail is rooting against Georgia Tech.

‘Ol Trombone speaketh the truth. I root for the Jackets always, through both thick and thin.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You may not feel that way but there are plenty on here who bow want geoff collins to fail just to prop up their option coach
I like CPJ and I also thought it was time for him to retire. I like CGC only thing he has done I didn't like was not keep CAM, but I really don't know the whole story why so I'll give him a pass. One thing you have a hard time understanding most of us have been season tickets holders for +35 years and are a little older than others and change is not easy it least for me. We have seen bad times, times when attendance may show 30,000 but there was really only about 18,000. Any Tech fan wants to see Tech do well.

I remind you to think back during the season as you were one who wanted to see CPJ go and a lot of us claimed you hated CPJ more than you liked Tech. That was wrong on our part and it is wrong on your part to say anyone wants CGC a fail . Is CGC the right pick, I really hope so but no one really knows, could be this year could take 2 or 3 years at my age I hope this year.

Right now I feel most fans are fine , we do have one person I won't name on here who just come on the last few days who all he does is talk bad about CPJ and our student athletes I wish he would pick another team , but everyone one else is fine and wants to see Tech win.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
Is he going to actually wait till after Thursday Early signing period to say who his staff is?
What advantage is that to GT now that he has cleaned house. It's similar to the "you're gonna have to pass it before you can read it" treatment?
I would think the opposing coaches/recruiters would be saying "you don't even know who the OC or DC" is how do you know if you fit their systems?
Why won't he just rip the band aid off at Temple the way he did to the GT players/staff today? I am not sure understand it? Now he is busier than a one armed wall paper hanger trying to communicate with the recruits, radio shows, parent meetings, donor meetings, and building a staff? I wonder if this is the BEST way to go about wrapping up the early signing period? Curious move to want to do it all ALONE and if he's not alone then just drop the curtain and make your staff selections public.
It makes sense not to announce who will be on his staff until after the early signing day...…………………………………………….just sayin'(y)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t blame CGC for starting with a clean slate, holding on to old coaches can definitely cause division within the team and coaching staff, just like the division we are experiencing here on the Tech forums. The recruits that committed to GT the school will stay regardless of the head coach, who recruited them, or the Off. scheme, the players or recruits not on board with it should follow their dreams elsewhere, they will be doing themselves and our program a favor in the longrun. Its CGC’s show to run, let him do it his way and lets wait to see how it works out.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I've attempted to clean up this thread. I hope we can all just get past the rock throwing & get back to supporting Our Team.
Good job I need to come over to my house and delate some of the stuff my wife has said to me. Not asking you to not be fair but remember I'm a Tech fan and she is an Auburn fan so you will need to be on my side. :)

Deleted member 2897

We are not players or parents. He did the best thing possible for his recruits, his team and GT.

We will know when it is important for us to know. People, after Eleven 50% years, can not handle anything but iiwii.

A new day awaits.

What's a 50% year?