CFP: new conspiracy theory

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
A friend of mine and I were discussing the playoff rankings, and consider: despite FSU's struggles, they keep winning. As coach has repeatedly said, "It's hard to win in college football." FSU is getting everyone's best shot, and despite it all, they're on a 28-game winning streak. They're the defending national champs. They have the defending Heisman Trophy rapist. How on earth can you rank them #4 behind three one-loss teams?

Look at the latest rankings:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. FSU

#1 plays #4 in the Sugar Bowl.
#2 plays #3 in the Rose Bowl.

Oh, interesting. Alabama and FSU, decidedly close to New Orleans, would play in the Big Easy.

Oregon and TCU are much closer to Pasadena than Alabama or FSU.

I'd really be interested in seeing a couple teams get shaken up and then seeing even more geographical bias come out. For example, if everyone on the current list loses except Oregon and somehow they still stay #2 so they can go to the Rose Bowl.

Remind me again why a retired air force general and Condoleeza Rice are on the playoff selection committee?

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
As long as the right 4 are in the playoff, I don't care if they group them to get better matchups or TV ratings.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it is a factor and should be a factor.

Agreed. Considering that the entire "ranking" is just a bunch of subjective bull$hirt, and kick-offs are determined by coin flip - team location should be a factor in determining the (so-called) seeding.

Given those stadium locations, imagine a scenario where a 13-0 east coast $EC team is ranked #1 and an 10-2 UCLA is ranked #2.

OTOH - Ever having one of these playoff games at the home field of a team would be incredibly unfair.

Edit: I don't know what I was thinking, there is no possibility other than having a $EC team ranked #1 at the end of the season.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Plausible%20sign.jpg

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Remind me again why a retired air force general and Condoleeza Rice are on the playoff selection committee?

Remind me again why everyone takes potshots at them assuming their the problem and not the people who actually have a stake in the committee's rulings?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

Because the people who picked the committee did not know their you know what from a hole in the ground.
The committee they picked has the same characteristic.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
First - their were no clear guidelines. Second - too many active and ex administrators/coaches with axes to grind. (You need proof of that , just watch ESPN talking "experts") Third - Bring in retired referees. They are used to being scrutinized.

Yella-Britches

Georgia Tech Fan
How's this for a conspiracy theory - forgive me if it has already been suggested... FSU is ranked @ #4 and Tech @ #11 so that if Tech prevails Saturday night (GO JACKETS!!) the committee can say, "well, a team not even top ten beat the #4 team - that pushes #4 out and guess what - No ACC team goes to the playoff!". I say it's a set-up to keep the ACC out! How about that!?!