CFP Expansion

kalld12

Banned
Didn't Cincy hang in there with UGA??? I recall Boise St winning some games they weren't supposed to win... I wouldn't just "give" wins to schools... The only way to prove it, is to put them on the field. Now, if you say... Bama brings more fans that Cincy does... You would be right. But, I wouldn't take Cincy's season away from them. Heck, I wonder if UCF was allowed in, if they would of won. I recall them destroying Auburn. I think some conferences get WAY too much ooohs and awwwws... Have you seen most SEC's OOC schedule? You talk about cake walk?? New Mexico State???
Thats a fair point, its just my opinion though. I agree the SEC schools do play cakewalks for OOC games, but if you look at Cincy's schedule they played a 2-10 Indiana, 3-9 Temple, 3-8 Navy, 2-10 Tulane, 2-10 USF. That's just not going to do it if I was on the committee. I compared the schedules of the 6 teams in the CFP conversation and Cincy was a complete outlier when it came to the competition they played. I'd take a Ok St over them all day.

kalld12

Banned
You're using SEC as an acronym for basically 4 schools. If you look at the entire BCS/CFP era, the so-called "SEC dominance" is basically those 4 universities. What the SEC does excel at is hyping themselves and providing a very entertaining product for ESPN...
Honestly, if it wasn't for Trevor Lawrence and those awesome Clemson teams the last 3 years (not including this year) SEC would have even more. I mean you could argue 1-2 teams in each conference are always at the top year after year, the SEC has just been dominant. You cant argue it. I respect your POV though

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Didn't Cincy hang in there with UGA??? I recall Boise St winning some games they weren't supposed to win... I wouldn't just "give" wins to schools... The only way to prove it, is to put them on the field. Now, if you say... Bama brings more fans that Cincy does... You would be right. But, I wouldn't take Cincy's season away from them. Heck, I wonder if UCF was allowed in, if they would of won. I recall them destroying Auburn. I think some conferences get WAY too much ooohs and awwwws... Have you seen most SEC's OOC schedule? You talk about cake walk?? New Mexico State???

Cincy lost to UGA in a bowl game where half their team opted out, pretty much proving the “Cincy couldn’t even beat UGA’s backups” comments to be true because that is exactly what happened.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Honestly, if it wasn't for Trevor Lawrence and those awesome Clemson teams the last 3 years (not including this year) SEC would have even more. I mean you could argue 1-2 teams in each conference are always at the top year after year, the SEC has just been dominant. You cant argue it. I respect your POV though

Those same 2 schools would have even more. Only 2 SEC schools have won NCs in the playoff era. Bama and LSU. uga has dominated the SEC East, but their SoS per Sagarin this year is in the 50's, which while better than Cincy in the 80's, is still not great.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I mean, it was like 6 or 7, and at least one of those was already transferring to FSU because he wanted more PT than he was getting at uga, but yeah, half...

Surely you’re not taking “half their team” literally, right? lol It’s a figure of speech. Having said that, there were six starters that opted out. Not to mention last year’s UGA team isn’t even close to this years. Cincy will get smoked by UGA this year if that’s their match up.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Surely you’re not taking “half their team” literally, right? lol It’s a figure of speech. Having said that, there were six starters that opted out. Not to mention last year’s UGA team isn’t even close to this years. Cincy will get smoked by UGA this year if that’s their match up.

If you speak in hyperbole, do not be shocked if people don't take your point seriously.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t mind expanding it if they stipulate that no more than 2 teams per conference can be in. Say what you want about “Well they won, so they deserve it, blah blah blah” but the Bama-LSU National Championship game was so controversial because a team that didn’t even win its division got a chance to win the Natty against a team it had already lost to in the regular season, rendering said game meaningless. They can chase short-term money all they want, but people are going to lose interest in watching if it’s always the same teams. Unpredictability is the foundation of watching sports.

Jmonty71

Banned
Again, I would love to see that game. The mighty SEC doesn't look that great this year. UGA hasn't really been tested and Bama couldn't score on Auburn until the 4th qtr. The SEC Championship game will be must watch TV.
I would argue that part of UGA's great numbers come from the fact, they didn't play many high scoring offensive teams. So, if UGA were to play a team that can use their aggressiveness against them and stretch the field, I am not too sure they win. UGA isn't a juggernaut on the offense.. Their D makes that team... I think this is a down year in college football. In fact, I think this will be the worst draft coming to the NFL... I see maybe 5... 5 players that will make it past rookie contracts... UGA is just a really good team, loaded against a bunch of not so good teams. Put it this way.. This UGA team would be decimated by the Bama team of 2 years ago... Easy.... Even the Clemson team with Lawrence I think would beat this UGA team. They aren't great. Just a product of a down year, in my opinion.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I'm ok going to 8, maybe even with a provision that each Power 5 conference gets their champion in then the other three slots are for non champions, G5, etc. I think 12 would be way too many, would take too long and would lead to the SEC getting 4 teams in every year, which is likely why Brian Kelly went to LSU. Although I think Lincoln Riley went to USC because it's an easier path to the playoffs than the SEC in the current 4 team scenario.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I would argue that part of UGA's great numbers come from the fact, they didn't play many high scoring offensive teams. So, if UGA were to play a team that can use their aggressiveness against them and stretch the field, I am not too sure they win. UGA isn't a juggernaut on the offense.. Their D makes that team... I think this is a down year in college football. In fact, I think this will be the worst draft coming to the NFL... I see maybe 5... 5 players that will make it past rookie contracts... UGA is just a really good team, loaded against a bunch of not so good teams. Put it this way.. This UGA team would be decimated by the Bama team of 2 years ago... Easy.... Even the Clemson team with Lawrence I think would beat this UGA team. They aren't great. Just a product of a down year, in my opinion.

Agreed. Their defense is very good and they are likely the best team in the country, but they haven't really played many great teams (and typically don't on a year in and year out basis). Clemson is down. Florida is down. Auburn is down. Tennessee is down. A few crappy out of conference teams (like us unfortunately) and there you go. Realistically, the SEC East has been down for 10+ years with Florida up and down, Tennessee down and then SC, Vandy, Kentucky (improving but not to the level of the upper tier) and Missouri. Ga should be in the SEC championship game almost every year with that lineup.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

They played 4 offenses in the top 25 of OFEI. Tennessee was 5th this season in OFEI. After those four, the next best was UAB at 49th. uga is good, and maybe great, but they are definitely benefitting from having a fairly creampuff schedule so far.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
UGA isn't a juggernaut on the offense.. Their D makes that team
UGA is averaging 3.65 points per drive. This is number two in the nation. They are averaging 7.52 yards per play, number two in the nation. They are averaging 0.629 points per play, number two in the nation. ESPN has them ranked as number two offense efficiency as well.

What part of their offense isn’t a juggernaut? They are top three in all but one ofei stat category.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
UGA is averaging 3.65 points per drive. This is number two in the nation. They are averaging 7.52 yards per play, number two in the nation. They are averaging 0.629 points per play, number two in the nation. ESPN has them ranked as number two offense efficiency as well.

What part of their offense isn’t a juggernaut? They are top three in all but one ofei stat category.
Those offense numbers are driven by their schedule - we certainly contributed more than our share....

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Those offense numbers are driven by their schedule - we certainly contributed more than our share....
UGA isn’t playing in the MAC. Their schedule wasn’t a meat grinder but it certainly fits an “average” P5 schedule at least. There are teams with much easier schedules that aren’t putting up the same offensive numbers.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
UGA isn’t playing in the MAC. Their schedule wasn’t a meat grinder but it certainly fits an “average” P5 schedule at least. There are teams with much easier schedules that aren’t putting up the same offensive numbers.
Their out of conf(including us) was a joke - with the exception of Clemson. Their conf schedule is nearly hand picking the worst teams in the SEC. This Saturday will be interesting, unless the Bama team that played Auburn shows up.

kalld12

Banned
Their out of conf(including us) was a joke - with the exception of Clemson. Their conf schedule is nearly hand picking the worst teams in the SEC. This Saturday will be interesting, unless the Bama team that played Auburn shows up.
I promise you Saban will have them ready, they know what they're playing for! I think its possible the players were looking forward to the SEC Championship and not giving a 6-5 (at the time) Auburn team the respect they deserve. I still think Alabama pulls out a close one. I'd love to see Alabama come out and punch them in the mouth, UGA hasn't had to come from behind at all this year.