CFB Rules Changes

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
AJC article discussed pending rules changes just agreed upon:

/http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/sports/helmet-cams-sideline-computers-coming-to-college-f/nj8yk/

Of interest:

1) Trial use of helmet radio communication b/w QBs and sidelines.
-Potential GT impact: would give CPJ freedom to call in the play to QB instead of sending thru an AB or WR sub? Coach is so confident in his method he would probably still do this (And I would love it. Imagine the TV guys going on and on about how "old school CPJ" refuses to use the helmet radios and we still produce juggernaut offenses)

2) Illegal downfield changed from 3 yards to 1 yard.
-Potential GT impact: could prevent our OL from firing off the line as hard before pass blocking, making our play-action passing game less effective? (Not sure on this one. Might not make any difference)

What do you guys think?

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
1 yard??!!??
That is ridiculous.

I think CPJ should take advantage of the radios.
Why not use the technology available?

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Helmet radio communications have the potential for being overheard; even cell phone technology does not protect 100% against sophisticated interception.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't really care if they do the radio communication with the QB's, but as a former college offensive lineman, the 1 yard rule is a joke! Takes away all play action pass blocking.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
based on how refs call Oregon and Auburn games nobody will be flagged for illegal down field blocking anyway

Seems like this is the newest "anti-innovation" Saban tactic. I don't blame him. The closer the game gets to NFL, the better it is for him.

But I do worry about the 1 yard rule. Basically play-action will be one step.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1yd?
Since the refs allow holding during pass blocking, the new rule should allow for us to hold down field while run blocking.

This rule is stupid. If it looks like pass pull the guy downfield 1 yd. more rules - that's what we need.

Mechaniik

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, it seems to me that the 1-yd rule would be bad for us.

Don't worry, this is more aimed at some of the spread teams which try to run combination run/pass plays like Baylor, Oregon and Arizona. It most likely wouldn't affect us - if you look at our passes, even play action ones, lineman very rarely get downfield at all.

In fact since this might hurt some teams we play (North Carolina, Clemson maybe?), and likely won't affect us, this rule would probably be a small net positive for us.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
If JT laterals just a tad forward to our A-Back after crossing the LOS +1 yd, we will be called for illegal blockers down field. Is that right?

Animal02

Banned
1yd?
Since the refs allow holding during pass blocking, the new rule should allow for us to hold down field while run blocking.

This rule is stupid. If it looks like pass pull the guy downfield 1 yd. more rules - that's what we need.
It will kill most "half back option" type plays...staying within one yard of the LOS will be almost impossible