CDP play calling

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ok I'll be honest , every head coach has someone we are going to blame if things don't work out. For CPJ it was Sewak , for CCG it was Nix , and even CGO some blamed Roof ( although I didn't but many did ) . Now we have CGC well if I blame him it pisses off half the people on here so I have to pick someone to blame. Key, Burton, Choice and Coleman are from Tech so I can't blame them and I like Thacker so I can't blame him. So I look back after each game and I see our offense has been shutout 3 games , yes 3 game one game we only scored 2 point and the defense got those points. Our offense was raked about 124 out of 131 teams ( I didn't look this up but It would be close. So I put the blame on P'nut , do I think he needs to be fired , no not after one season. But I do need to see some improvement next year and a lot more the following year. If not than the blame would shift to CGC ( sorry but if your offense doesn't improve after 3 years and you keep the same OC than I would blame CGC.

I'm being a little sarcastic here but there is a little truth in what I said

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
My biggest gripe is he talked about being player based in this transition year. Fit the scheme to our talent, change as new guys come in and the roster balances.

It felt like the decision was made at some point to just install the plays we are going to run now and work on it all year, knowing it would be rough. A season long Spring Game. Lots of talk of "We are a development program" and continuous improvement" makes sense now.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Without doing a detailed film review, it's hard to say. Observation bias, selective memory probably, but here goes:

I felt like our run game got way better as the year went along but damn if it wasn't frustrating watching us repeatedly outside zone for no or negative yards. We were going to run that play until we got it right was my impression. It was also hard at times to tell when we were running stretch vs outside zone. I don't remember running any counter and hardly any dive. I'm sure others have mentioned it, but not having a power package installed cost us some points throughout the season.

In the passing game, we could've used more seam-dig combos to create space on mid level passes. Not to say it's not in the arsenal (we completed one that I remember), but it was rare. Did we run any angle routes that anyone remembers? Hi-lo combos were rare. Scissors I don't remember seeing. Now in his defense (and Graham's), it's not like our receivers run the best routes. It seems every other spread team had give-me completions that allow them to move the chains and our guys can't post up in the right spot on 5 yard hitches. That's not really on the OC. We didn't have many threats that forced defenses to actually stretch out and our TE's weren't weapons in crowded field situations. I think it was completely ineffectual when we ran drag routes since our guys weren't going to break tackles.

My blood pressure is rising, hitting pause on my thoughts.
Excellent post, IMO !

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Ok I'll be honest , every head coach has someone we are going to blame if things don't work out. For CPJ it was Sewak , for CCG it was Nix , and even CGO some blamed Roof ( although I didn't but many did ) . Now we have CGC well if I blame him it pisses off half the people on here so I have to pick someone to blame. Key, Burton, Choice and Coleman are from Tech so I can't blame them and I like Thacker so I can't blame him. So I look back after each game and I see our offense has been shutout 3 games , yes 3 game one game we only scored 2 point and the defense got those points. Our offense was raked about 124 out of 131 teams ( I didn't look this up but It would be close. So I put the blame on P'nut , do I think he needs to be fired , no not after one season. But I do need to see some improvement next year and a lot more the following year. If not than the blame would shift to CGC ( sorry but if your offense doesn't improve after 3 years and you keep the same OC than I would blame CGC.

I'm being a little sarcastic here but there is a little truth in what I said
More than a little truth.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
UGA is 11-2, averaging 400+ ypg and 31+ ppg. Their fans have an entitlement complex.

There are Uga fans bemoaning the fact they recruited a bunch of 300+ OL that can't get out of their own way. Pretty much the opposite of what we have.
People are not going to be satisfied.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
They did fine the 1st half of the season but 118 of those points were Murry State and Arkansas State. The 2nd half of the season I would say they were average at best if not below. The 11 wins I would think most of that credit would go the the defense.
And 52 came against us in the second half of the season. It is what it is.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
There are Uga fans bemoaning the fact they recruited a bunch of 300+ OL that can't get out of their own way. Pretty much the opposite of what we have.
Wisconsin has the same issue with OL. Size works great on equal or lesser talent, but when they run into an OSU, or the DWAGS run into LSU the OL looks big and slow.

True2GT

Georgia Tech Fan
Key wasn't just teaching them the offense, how to block technique wise, he literally had to teach most of em how to study film too. Including the QB. We basically did not do as much under paul, because there was no film to study other than our own from prior years. And certainly, when we did film, it wasn't looking at anything like they do now.

If you were the coach, would you get more complex with an essentially true freshman qb, and that level of newness?? I sure as hell wouldn't. I would do my best to run similar plays I think we could block and read the right block keys, out of different formations and personnel groups....sounds like what we did.

I will say this. He like many OC had some questionable playcalls. But I am telling you go pick a random game; there are guys running wide arse open we either didn't see, or couldn't get to due to pressure, or flat missed the throw, that won't be the case soon....he isn't perfect; but man plays were there. That tells me it was a solid playcall. I still have some doubts but I think anyone in this scenario gets more time.

Certainly, I am giving him more time before piling on
What I'm taking from this is the new scheme is harder and more time consuming to learn, is that correct? Or is it that it's just different and therefore a larger learning curve.

If we didn't look at much film before, yet we were an effective offense as a whole, that leads me to believe the old system was more efficient and effective overall.

True2GT

Georgia Tech Fan
They did fine the 1st half of the season but 118 of those points were Murry State and Arkansas State. The 2nd half of the season I would say they were average at best if not below. The 11 wins I would think most of that credit would go the the defense.
While I whole heatedly agree with you that their offense was average at best, I don't think this argument is fair. The ppg stat had many teams that also play cupcakes (not all, but many).

slugboy

Staff member
If we had LSU’s roster, CDP would be a highly sought after offensive genius. Jimmys and Joes, folks.

LSU has one of the handful of OCs who make a difference. Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma is one of the others, even though he’s a head coach.

I don’t think Steve Ensminger is going 10-2 with our team this year, though. Maybe 6-6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Yeah if all it was is shear girth and weight total then the cast of featured guests on “My 600lb life” would all be highly recruited 5 star ⭐️ players and our coaches should screen national video footage of all buffets within a. 5 hour radius of the Atl and wheel those jokers in here and build a insurmountable wall of flesh.