CDH

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Is Coach Hall's contract up this year (2016)?
See lots of "get rid of him" talk in this forum. Never followed up with any idea what an intelligent choice/transition would be. Something more specific than the standard young, energetic up & comer who is an outstanding recruiter. That's how all successful young coaches look on paper.

I'm in way over my head to offer good ideas(not tuned into collegiate baseball coaching or programs). But I'm curious if those screaming fire the guy have a plan in mind beyond that.

Bobinski would have to have a plan. He has a baseball background. Is that good?

I would only hope we can manage it in such a way to see no falloff before achieving improvement in recruiting or performance. I know that's probably a lot to ask.

I'm proud of our baseball team's sustained superior performance over the last 35+ years with 2 Hall of Fame coaches (Morris & Hall).

Is there a HOF for college baseball coaches?? :unsure:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have talked about the baseball program performance a lot in some previous threads. Start with an excellent one at the end of last season by @MWBATL and others, https://gtswarm.com/threads/program-in-decline-why.6907/#post-152829 (I have to say that there is a lot of good stuff in these old posts, my posts show how little I knew bu have figured out with help over the years.) After the NCAA tourney, I hope @MWBATL updates this.......

One good point that I didn't remember is Bobinski's baseball background. He played for NDs baseball team. Also he is on the NCAA selection committee for this year's field of 64. Here's what I think about what Bobinski likely action, which is after discussing that Hall had the best performance of any GT baseball coach and almost any baseball, football or basketball coach @ GT: https://gtswarm.com/threads/unc-le.9506/page-4#post-222690
"Bobinski won't mess with Hall for several reasons. First, very few alum care about baseball. Second, no money in baseball from the gates or TV. Third, Bobinski is up to his *** in other problems. There is no upside for Bobinski overall to mess with Hall and the program. Let sleeping dogs lie."

I still think Hall should leave on his own time as he has earned that. That doesn't mean I think he is the best coach around in some regards; he has strengths and weaknesses like anyone. Basically, I hope Hall adapts because I see little chance of him retiring with his kid(s) playing. Hall did adapt by bringing in a lot more pitchers in recent classes which I had "hoped" was going to solve the pitching problem. {I realized when thinking about this that my conclusion to be loyal to Hall over the well being of the program is somewhat hypocritical. It is what I criticize Hall for in playing other than the best available players. Oh well, consistency is over rated.}

What does sting is that Clemson fired their coach last year. With the same talent, they are now #6 RPI and playing for the ACC championship. Most times I think a new coach is a wash and it is the program which counts; but having this glaring example next door makes me envious.

I can't name any names because I don't keep up with other programs, but I'm certain tech could find a top tier coach to replace the current coach. Clemson fans were were split when they fired their coach. I don't hear anyone wishing Leggett was still there. Sometimes the unknown scares people and that's understandable, but Danny showed up after Hal left, so I expect the same when hall leaves. Which can't be soon enough.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
It may be hard for youngsters to believe, but even Bobby Dodd had critics who wanted him to go so they could bring in some young, energetic, hotshot (e.g., Pepper Rogers) who "probably could" win every game every year of every decade. Ditto Bobby Cemins (who naysayers said couldn't coach). Even Bobby Cox during the 14-year record streak of the Atlanta Braves couldn't please the chronic naysayers. The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it.

Danny Hall knows baseball, he knows Tech, he knows baseball recruiting, and he now has fine facilities. He is continually developing the financial resources to allow him to keep pace with recruiting demands and has attracted his share of quality student-athlete talent in a highly competitive recruiting environment. We're fortunate to have gotten Danny at Tech after Jim Morris moved on to greener pastures. When I mention to knowledgeable snowbirds down here in Florida about a particular recruit coming to Tech, they are impressed by Tech and add that Tech has an excellent baseball program. Someday, lots of folks will be saying, "Well, back in the good old days of Danny Hall....

Last edited:
I like ur passion and loyalty, but sometimes changes are needed. When Danny s boys keep dropping balls, have little plate discipline, and the team continually has pitching issues where should the finger be pointed? Danny didn't build this program. He inherited it. At this time, he's running into the ground. Even Stevie Wonder can see that.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
I like ur passion and loyalty, but sometimes changes are needed. When Danny s boys keep dropping balls, have little plate discipline, and the team continually has pitching issues where should the finger be pointed? Danny didn't build this program. He inherited it. At this time, he's running into the ground. Even Stevie Wonder can see that.

OK, but before we go rainbow chasing show me the money to lure a better head coach plus a better staff than we now have. I read that when the Braves were really good, Ted had opened his wallet and the Braves had one of the top five salary schedules in baseball. Now Ted is gone, the Braves are in the bottom five in salaries...and it definitely shows.

No mon, no fun.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK, but before we go rainbow chasing show me the money to lure a better head coach plus a better staff than we now have. I read that when the Braves were really good, Ted had opened his wallet and the Braves had one of the top five salary schedules in baseball. Now Ted is gone, the Braves are in the bottom five in salaries...and it definitely shows.

No mon, no fun.

And they wear red too much.

No mon, no fun.
A. College baseball coaches don't break the bank or the staff's for the matter. They aren't paid like other programs w/in the school. Like Nuke said, baseball is very low money driving sport. Football pays for most if not all of what they get.
B. This is not professional baseball where you can't buy players.
C. Pending on what Danny's buyout is, money I wouldn't think should be a problem.
D. Danny Hall is going no where, this is all wishful thinking.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Danny did a great job this year under trying circumstances. Too many of you guys classify causes as excuses. Injuries to our pitching staff were causes. I get tired of this fire the Coach banter that follows all of out programs. Surely you guys are smarter than that.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
A. College baseball coaches don't break the bank or the staff's for the matter. They aren't paid like other programs w/in the school. Like Nuke said, baseball is very low money driving sport. Football pays for most if not all of what they get.
B. This is not professional baseball where you can't buy players.
C. Pending on what Danny's buyout is, money I wouldn't think should be a problem.
D. Danny Hall is going no where, this is all wishful thinking.
I agree with everything except C. I don't know anything about Danny's buyout, but I do know that our baseball program is in better shape now than at anytime in its history. Danny's leadership should get the lion's share of the credit for that and I, for one, want him to stay. I also agree 100% with 65 Jacket above.

Danny did a great job this year under trying circumstances. Too many of you guys classify causes as excuses. Injuries to our pitching staff were causes. I get tired of this fire the Coach banter that follows all of out programs. Surely you guys are smarter than that.
How do you figure? His players fumbled the ball around consistently. We've gone from one of premier programs in the country to below avg in the ACC. I don't recall Hal's teams with such poor fielding percentages. This has been an issue for several years now. We've for the most part have always had bats, so nothing has changed their. The W-L record is a pretty good indicator where this program is headed. If you guys can't see that, you're not looking at reality and anything anyone says you're going to refute because of bias. That's your right, but facts are facts.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
How do you figure? His players fumbled the ball around consistently. We've gone from one of premier programs in the country to below avg in the ACC. I don't recall Hal's teams with such poor fielding percentages. This has been an issue for several years now. We've for the most part have always had bats, so nothing has changed their. The W-L record is a pretty good indicator where this program is headed. If you guys can't see that, you're not looking at reality and anything anyone says you're going to refute because of bias. That's your right, but facts are facts.
Who is Hal?

65Jacket

GT Athlete
The ACC is a whole lot tougher than it was in the past. Hall is not going to be fired, so go back to being a fan.

The ACC is a whole lot tougher than it was in the past. Hall is not going to be fired, so go back to being a fan.
Yes the ACC is better, but why is FSU and Miami still good? Those two programs were good in the past and they are still good even though the conf is stronger. Is the conf being better and better coaches coming in mean Danny isn't as good as the new coaches coming in. What i'm reading from you, suggest just that. Are u saying Tech was good in a water downed conf? I don't think that because Tech was considered a blue blood at one time. That status is not easy to obtain and should not be given up so easily, but Danny has managed to make us less than avg. You are right danny is going no where, but I one can wish.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@up state jacket ,
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference."

I tell myself this a lot, especially working, so that the frustration doesn't just build up.